News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Another hot day.

We had hmaria's weather a few days back. It was hot all day on Tuesday and Wednesday, but without much warning, thunderstorms rolled in after dinner with heavy downpours, thunder, and lightning. After about an hour the weather was back to normal. Sudden thunderstorms are a tropical feature, so this might be another harbinger of climate change.

Harlow2

Quote from: Langue_doc on August 13, 2021, 06:55:37 AM
Another hot day.

We had hmaria's weather a few days back. It was hot all day on Tuesday and Wednesday, but without much warning, thunderstorms rolled in after dinner with heavy downpours, thunder, and lightning. After about an hour the weather was back to normal. Sudden thunderstorms are a tropical feature, so this might be another harbinger of climate change.

Our weather 90 miles to the south and west was the same. A bit less steam-bathy this morning, but already 90 and counting.

Parasaurolophus

Hot and smoky. Everyone's favourite.
I know it's a genus.

lightning

This should be on the 1st World Problems thread, too.

This morning, it rained (sprinkled) just enough for me to decide to NOT water my lawn, before I left the house. Upon returning home, I realized that it was barely a sprinkle that fell on my lawn, so my dry lawn got scorched for yet another day.

Langue_doc

Unusual weather update:

https://gothamist.com/news/six-people-injured-after-lightning-strike-orchard-beach

That makes thunder-and-lightning strikes three days in a row despite the morning forecasts calling for sunny days.

ab_grp

Yikes, Langue_doc!! That sounds very frightening, to have it just come up on those folks like that.

We are also having thunder and lightning, but nothing that extreme.  Very rainy, though, and some localized flooding and some evacuations in lower-lying areas.

mamselle

It drizzled at the end of my walk.

It got drippy-sounding outside as I finished my breakfast.

It thundered briefly when I opened the laptop and started working.

Then a flash-flood-and-tornado warning flashed up on my screen.

The flooding won't start for a few more hours, there's a lot of upstream to fill up first,zand I'm far enough from the stream it won't be a problem.

The tornado (radar spotted rotation) is heading upshore to the north, predicting waterspouts for small craft near the shore.

All that from a little drizzle...

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Heavy rain on and off and a region wide tornado watch yesterday

mamselle

Quote from: hmaria1609 on August 19, 2021, 11:52:21 AM
Heavy rain on and off and a region wide tornado watch yesterday

Tornados so close to the coast are WEIRD.

Not s'posd t'happen....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

We've had a week of rain almost every day.  Some days it has rained for hours on end.  No destructive storms or flooding, though.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

Heavy rain and flooding throughout the region. Lots of down trees and sections of roads under water.

mamselle

Yesterday, tornados, tomorrow hurricanes.

In between, heat and drizzle.

Never a dull moment!

M.

Langue_doc

Bracing for Hurricane Henri which arrives tomorrow.

The National Weather Service's tropical storm warning contains a long list including the one below:

THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY THAT INCLUDES TYPICAL FORECAST
UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Potential for wind 58
to 73 mph

mamselle

Seeing similar warnings; I did all the necessary errands this AM, but there was not a huge rush in the two stores I went to for supplies, so maybe peope are being more sane about it.

I remember when Hurricane Gloria came, though.

I'd never seen a complete line of shelves (the bread section) empty from one end to the other in a large supermarket before.

And I hadn't even thought about flashlight batteries. Three stores were sold out, I gave up (fortunately we didn't lose electricity).

M.

hmaria1609

I saw a news alert about Henri heading towards southern New England earlier today.  For those are in the region, stay safe and dry!