News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow2

Tropical humidity. Air conditioning set for 76* and windows were fogged up on the outside ar 7 am. Current dew point at 9:30 am is 74*. Wet!

apl68

Quote from: Harlow2 on August 27, 2021, 06:34:15 AM
Tropical humidity. Air conditioning set for 76* and windows were fogged up on the outside ar 7 am. Current dew point at 9:30 am is 74*. Wet!

In recent years the extreme summer humidity here has caused our windows at work to be routinely fogged.  It's also warping our main exterior doors, and causing mold problems that we're having to spend a fortune trying to remedy.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

the_geneticist

It's hot, dry, and windy.

That means it's now the more dangerous part of "fire season" and the airs smells like smoke. 

apl68

Hurricane Ida now expected to make landfall in Louisiana tomorrow--which means we're predicted to have severe weather farther north in the following couple of days.  We could have some flash flooding.  That has some people around here jittery, after seeing what happened in parts of Tennessee.  But we're not expected to get anything nearly that severe.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Stay safe, apl68 and everyone in Ida's path!

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on August 27, 2021, 04:39:56 PM
As long as the library doesn't store books in the basement..

https://cool.culturalheritage.org/byform/mailing-lists/bap/1998/msg00014.html

and

https://docplayer.net/17736719-The-aftermath-of-the-flood-at-the-boston-public-library-lessons-learned-gail-fithian-boston-public-library-boston-ma.html

M.

Our old library did store things in a basement.  My predecessor took me for a look at the old place before it was remodeled and turned into city offices.  She showed me the stick that she used to use to test the depth of water in the basement after it rained.

mamselle

Yikes, glad the space was changed over.

And...well, at least, in the scheme of things, you're probably not dealing with this...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/27/metro/bpl-hit-by-ransomware-attack-shutting-down-most-its-computer-network/

It doesn't quite fit the thread, but speaking of risks to libraries....

Hmmmmm....do we need a library thread?

Or do we have one that's just gone defunct?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Quote from: mamselle on August 28, 2021, 09:13:11 AM
Yikes, glad the space was changed over.

And...well, at least, in the scheme of things, you're probably not dealing with this...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/27/metro/bpl-hit-by-ransomware-attack-shutting-down-most-its-computer-network/

It doesn't quite fit the thread, but speaking of risks to libraries....

Hmmmmm....do we need a library thread?

Or do we have one that's just gone defunct?

M.
We had a dedicated libraries section/thread on the old forum.

mamselle

Maybe it's time to start one here?

Hmmm....

Can't right this minute (on a 2-moment break between tasks).....

But...

M.

Nightshade

Here, it is clear and in the low 70s, but wildfire smoke is a constant damper on air quality (new locale for me). As a fire-phobe to the nth degree (talking even fear of candles, incense, gas stoves, gas fireplaces, fireworks, etc.), this has elevated my usual low-to-medium anxiety level to a constant medium-high to very high. Irrational thoughts ensue: How will I know if it is my house burning or not? I smell smoke - oh no, is that coming from the neighbor's yard? etc. But the new place has absolutely lovely weather (notwithstanding climate change factors) this time of year, compared to the high heat and humidity of other states I've experienced in my life, so am trying to go with the flow and settle in to a new (mostly very pleasant) normal.

mamselle

Library thread started.

I've also been meaning to note, we've now had 4 days in the 90s in the past 2 weeks.

Not even a dog would go out on a day like that.

I'm sirius.

M.

lightning

I've been complaining constantly about the dry weather and my brown grass & dead garden. So I decided to do some painting and staining since there was no threat of rain in the long-term forecasts--always make the best of the situation, right?

Yeah, right.

I have two open projects right now (deck staining & house painting) that can't seem to get finished, due to, you guessed it, rain. I power washed and sanded, only to get the exposed wood hammered by rain, with no hope for painting and staining. It takes a few days for the wood to dry out from the rain, but when it does, another rainstorm hits.

On top of that, it's too late for the late-summer rain to save my lawn and garden.

I know this should be on the first-world problems thread.

apl68

Ida is now starting to move into our area.  We've had winds and ominous skies all morning.  The rain is now beginning (We had a brief preview yesterday evening).  It's anybody's guess whether we'll be able to keep our lights on.

The preliminary news from the real cockpit of the storm to the south of us is not looking good.  COVID-stressed hospitals are now having to deal with hurricane-related injuries and very widespread power failures.  One fatality has been reported thus far.  The Governor of Louisiana has already said that there are likely going to be many more as reports come in.

hmaria1609

Quote from: apl68 on August 30, 2021, 07:51:44 AM
Ida is now starting to move into our area.  We've had winds and ominous skies all morning.  The rain is now beginning (We had a brief preview yesterday evening).  It's anybody's guess whether we'll be able to keep our lights on.

The preliminary news from the real cockpit of the storm to the south of us is not looking good.  COVID-stressed hospitals are now having to deal with hurricane-related injuries and very widespread power failures.  One fatality has been reported thus far.  The Governor of Louisiana has already said that there are likely going to be many more as reports come in.
I heard New Orleans lost power on WTOP Radio this morning.  :(  I was there for ALA Annual in June 2011 and remember the heat during the day.