News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

Now that I'm back on campus a few days a week, I'm in that awkward situation where my phone and wallet, which used to live on my desk, now don't always make it to my bag. Yesterday I forgot my phone at home--which is normally no big deal, except I need it for two-factor authentication to get into my email, onedrive, teams, etc. Today I forgot my wallet--which is slightly more of a big deal. I have errands to run after work, and now I'll need to go home first to fetch the wallet before I can get my errands done. Somehow the inefficiency of retracing my steps is far more galling than an equal number of steps to a destination equally far away that does not require doubling back.

marshwiggle

Quote from: ergative on February 09, 2022, 01:45:34 AM
Now that I'm back on campus a few days a week, I'm in that awkward situation where my phone and wallet, which used to live on my desk, now don't always make it to my bag. Yesterday I forgot my phone at home--which is normally no big deal, except I need it for two-factor authentication to get into my email, onedrive, teams, etc. Today I forgot my wallet--which is slightly more of a big deal. I have errands to run after work, and now I'll need to go home first to fetch the wallet before I can get my errands done. Somehow the inefficiency of retracing my steps is far more galling than an equal number of steps to a destination equally far away that does not require doubling back.

I hear you. My two-factor fob is on my work keychain, so I sometimes set it on my desk in my office when logging in. If I forget to put it in my pocket after, I can lock myself out of my office. AND since there are so few people on campus, there may not be anyone who can let me back in. This limbo is bizarre.
It takes so little to be above average.

Puget

Quote from: ergative on February 09, 2022, 01:45:34 AM

I use a phone card holder pocket as my wallet, so there is only one thing to remember-- you might improve your chances of not having to backtrack by keeping at least a few essential cards with your phone.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

downer

How frequent is it that a dean sends out an email to everyone possible, and then some other admin finds it necessary to then forward the same email to everyone in their domain too? These jokers should get an electric shock for every unnecessary email they send.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

cathwen

Quote from: downer on February 09, 2022, 12:16:50 PM
How frequent is it that a dean sends out an email to everyone possible, and then some other admin finds it necessary to then forward the same email to everyone in their domain too? These jokers should get an electric shock for every unnecessary email they send.

Our department admin does that, too, and it is very annoying.  I wonder why they think it is necessary?  I second the electric shock idea.

Parasaurolophus

That's three articles in a row where 'insure' was used for 'ensure'.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Student reached out for help at 11:30 this morning via email.  By 5pm, I had emails from my chair, the department secretary, and the Dean wanting to know why I wasn't responding to the student.

And this student is 61 years old, no wet behind the ears whippersnapper!
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Quote from: FishProf on February 09, 2022, 04:45:05 PM
Student reached out for help at 11:30 this morning via email.  By 5pm, I had emails from my chair, the department secretary, and the Dean wanting to know why I wasn't responding to the student.

Second-career CEO used to rapid response staff replies?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Unlikely.  Student was unable to read the gradebook and didn't realize (despite the announcements and the syllabus BOTH stating this) that the gradebook treats unfinished assignments as Zeros.  So, despite averaging an 81.5% on the quizzes she has so far taken,  she was convinced she had a 12% in the class.

How do you get to one class short of graduating and not figure out how to read, understand, or properly ask about this stuff?

A first time freshpeep I understand (but don't excuse), but a graduating senior?

ergative

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 09, 2022, 03:44:48 PM

I confess I'm a bit wobbly on the difference myself. Is it really the case that 'insure' can only be used for money? I always thought that the money-insurance meaning was a specific application of a more general meaning that is the same as 'ensure'.

Quote from: FishProf on February 09, 2022, 04:45:05 PM

I'm not so much surprised by the student (even the youngsters sometimes do that), as impressed by the fact that your chair, dep't secretary, and Dean do in fact respond so quickly!

marshwiggle

Quote from: ergative on February 10, 2022, 05:34:45 AM

I confess I'm a bit wobbly on the difference myself. Is it really the case that 'insure' can only be used for money? I always thought that the money-insurance meaning was a specific application of a more general meaning that is the same as 'ensure'.

My understanding was that "insure" was about providing for the contingency of something happening, whereas "ensure" was guaranteeing that the thing would happen.

I can agree to do something if your house burns down ("insurance"), but there's no way I can "ensure" that your house will never burn.
It takes so little to be above average.

FishProf

To quote Chris Rock: "They shouldn't even call it insurance, they should just call it, IN CASE S*&^. "

Juvenal

My prescription plan has worked fine for years, even into retirement.  But the county, in a cost-saving move (it couldn't have been a cost-increasing plan, could it?), changed the rules and the pharmacy I'd used for decades was no longer on the list.  So, when I had a script to fill, went to one of the new alternative pharms (I'm looking at you, CVS) and was told on proferring my card, new for this year that, "This expired in December."  Despite it coming to me in January.

Now, afternoon plans changed, I had to go to campus, look up HR, to get the number of the "helpful" people at the plan.  I was sure I'd get voice mail (and did, 2X).  But then I thought, well, maybe the person who handled the card was a jerk.  Let me go to the (p)harm's "Consultation" area.  Did so, and after much keyboarding, they admitted that, "Yes, it's valid."  So got fifty dollars back on the script, but nothing much for the annoyances of the afternoon.
Cranky septuagenarian

ergative

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 10, 2022, 05:40:30 AM

My understanding was that "insure" was about providing for the contingency of something happening, whereas "ensure" was guaranteeing that the thing would happen.

I can agree to do something if your house burns down ("insurance"), but there's no way I can "ensure" that your house will never burn.

Huh. That makes an enormous amount of sense. Thanks!

apl68

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 10, 2022, 05:40:30 AM

This reminds me of the middle-school English teacher who was trying to teach us the difference between "sit" and "set."  She said that you might not mind your dog sitting on the floor, but would not want him setting things on the floor.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.