News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

I bought a used coffee table from the local facebook marketplace equivalent, and I love it with all my heart. It seems to me that, except for things with upholstery, the best furniture is the used stuff.

Langue_doc

Quote from: hmaria1609 on March 31, 2023, 08:24:17 PM
Quote from: Langue_doc on March 30, 2023, 04:57:47 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-america-anandi-joshi-came-081535481.html

Scroll down to see the photograph, dated October 10, 1885, of the three women doctors from India, Japan, and Syria who got their medical degrees from the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania.
Of note, there's a PBS documentary titled "Daring Women Doctors: Physicians in the 19th Century" on Kanopy. The international students at the Women's Medical College of PA are mentioned.

Thanks for the info, hmaria!

Parasaurolophus

Y'know, I'm kinda tired. Globally, like.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Everyone in the house now his his/her own heating pad, well, except for one of the cats. Elder evil cat has his own pad and I think he really likes it!

sinenomine

One student didn't show up for the final -- on the last day of exams, with grades due tomorrow. I really wanted to submit them today, but now I'm waiting on a response to my outreach.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

onthefringe

Quote from: sinenomine on May 01, 2023, 07:43:00 AM
One student didn't show up for the final -- on the last day of exams, with grades due tomorrow. I really wanted to submit them today, but now I'm waiting on a response to my outreach.

Can you do partial submissions? If not, I would probably do an incomplete in this case on the off chance the student was hopitalized/in jail/anducted by aliens. But I know not all places give that option...

sinenomine

Quote from: onthefringe on May 01, 2023, 08:54:27 AM
Quote from: sinenomine on May 01, 2023, 07:43:00 AM

Can you do partial submissions? If not, I would probably do an incomplete in this case on the off chance the student was hopitalized/in jail/anducted by aliens. But I know not all places give that option...

Students need to sign off on requests for Incompletes. If I don't hear from him by tomorrow, I'll post the grade and he can appeal.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

evil_physics_witchcraft

sinenomine

I'm really tired from a long weekend of Commencement and personal obligations, and now I have to go to a mandatory, 8 hour long meeting, followed by a pretty much mandatory social event on campus. What I really want to do is zonk out on the couch.

AmLitHist

That stinks, Sinenomine.  I think the last truly useful 8-hour meetings I went to were our new faculty orientation week, way back in 2004--and even those weren't all truly necessary to be full-day meetings. The whole week could probably just as well have been cleaned up and condensed into 2.5-3 days.

Wishing you the endurance to get through the day, and then get some rest!

Antiphon1

Why in the world admin thinks meetings/professional development after the semester is either necessary or productive escapes me.  Hang in there, sinenomine.  This too will pass. 

apl68

In response to a challenge to tell a novel-type story in the form of a haiku:

Once again the leaves
Fall on the rows of white stones
Bearing soldiers' names
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Scout

Quote from: AmLitHist on May 08, 2023, 10:36:15 AM
That stinks, Sinenomine.  I think the last truly useful 8-hour meetings I went to were our new faculty orientation week, way back in 2004--and even those weren't all truly necessary to be full-day meetings. The whole week could probably just as well have been cleaned up and condensed into 2.5-3 days.

I'm an admin and that would have been a hard "no" and veto from me (and my other academic deans). A very hard "no".

sinenomine

Quote from: Scout on May 11, 2023, 12:31:47 PM

I'm an admin and that would have been a hard "no" and veto from me (and my other academic deans). A very hard "no".

I'm a dean, and my dean colleagues and I argued up one side and down the other against the grueling schedule of meetings this week, to no avail. But the good news is, we're finished now — time to pour myself an adult beverage and recharge.

Antiphon1

Quote from: sinenomine on May 11, 2023, 01:42:09 PM
Quote from: Scout on May 11, 2023, 12:31:47 PM

I raises my glass to you.  It's that time here, too. 

I'm a dean, and my dean colleagues and I argued up one side and down the other against the grueling schedule of meetings this week, to no avail. But the good news is, we're finished now — time to pour myself an adult beverage and recharge.