Humor and Wisdom in a time of Plague...(w/apologies to D. Defoe)

Started by mamselle, March 15, 2020, 07:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Economizer

Quote from: Anselm on May 20, 2020, 04:08:53 PM
Quote from: Economizer on May 19, 2020, 09:43:02 PM
Description of Covid19 Inflation:

You drive to a store, put on your mask, and, then, when you enter you get held up.

[ This joke may need some work. The elements for humor are there; however, I am unsure as to whether there is widespread increase in prices.]

Yes, food has jumped in price, especially beef.   Oh, and I hope none of you thought that cheap gasoline was going to be permanent.  It is already inching up.  Hopefully we won't need wheelbarrows of cash to buy bread.

Your joke in progress does not seem to work well in text format.  You need an experienced comedian to use the right delivery to solicit laughs from an audience.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Economizer

Oops, I seem to have messed up!  And, thusly, y'all missed the really good'uns.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Economizer

When I commandered this board I had no idea what a hostile silence that I would encounter!

Economizer

Note: These are threads not boards, huh?
And,
           Commandeererd was most often spelled
Commendered prior to the spellcheck  innovation.

Economizer

Geting a woman to have sex during the health worries of today is really tough for singles. But, let me tell you what happend to me. I was coming out the bathroom after showering yesterday and there was a beautiful woman, a neighbor, nude, in my bed. Deciding she would be a go, I asked if I should put on a condom. She said, "No, I'm good, but a little Aqua Velva and a turban would drive me nuts!"

Economizer

Maybe humor, probably tears, definitely fondness:

Wekapedia- LISTS OF COMEDIANS

Economizer

I really miss being able to get stock market reports on holidays. You know it's sort of like having a hankering for a CHICFILET sandwich on a Sunday.

Economizer

Great quote garnered from a 20th century Nelson DeMille mystery, "If it flys, floats, or ....s, rent it." (Pardon my deallitration). So, is it sexist or just common sense advice? Or, maybe, just plain funny, at that time?

Economizer

Since no one other than me has been posting on this thread lately, should I stop posting until others start posting again? I think that I'm getting pressure from the front office to do so anyway. OR, should I take my usual stance in like situations and assume that I am so funny no one dares to compete, eh?

marshwiggle

Quote from: Economizer on July 05, 2020, 11:49:45 AM
Since no one other than me has been posting on this thread lately, should I stop posting until others start posting again? I think that I'm getting pressure from the front office to do so anyway. OR, should I take my usual stance in like situations and assume that I am so funny no one dares to compete, eh?

Speaking for myself, I just don't get most of your jokes. Maybe I'm slow on the uptake.
It takes so little to be above average.

Economizer

Thank you for your comment, Marshwiggle. Perhaps I should go on vacation and rethink my content and approach to humor? Uh.. can you loan me 600 bucks?

Vkw10

I don't get your jokes either, but I'm frequently half-a-beat behind everyone else in catching a joke. I'm better at catching puns, if you'd like to try those?
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Economizer

Economizer

Quote from: Vkw10 on July 05, 2020, 12:54:48 PM
I don't get your jokes either, but I'm frequently half-a-beat behind everyone else in catching a joke. I'm better at catching puns, if you'd like to try those?
:

OK. The Oxford University definition of a pun [ I think]:

A PUN, A PLAY UPON WORDS, A PUN. 2/3 of a PUN, PU.

Also, it, the pun, is said to be the lowest form of humour, until recently.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Economizer on July 05, 2020, 01:16:48 PM
Quote from: Vkw10 on July 05, 2020, 12:54:48 PM
:

OK. The Oxford University definition of a pun [ I think]:

A PUN, A PLAY UPON WORDS, A PUN. 2/3 of a PUN, PU.

Also, it, the pun, is said to be the lowest form of humour, until recently.

That really stinks.