News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Raga music

Started by downer, January 23, 2020, 05:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

I'm interested in listening to some Indian "classical" music and various offshoots. I have found a few playlists on Spotify. I know that Ravi Shankar is a big name and has listened to some of his work. I listened to Spotify's "Raga Lounge" which was an abomination -- sitar playing with Enya-like vocals or soft rock.

I'm wondering if my random approach is a good way to go or whether I should be more systematic about it. Are there useful guides out there?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

I heard Ravi Shankar on his first tour (or an early one) of the U.S. in the 70s, I think it was.

He would just stop in the middle to tune...I don't think the orchestra conductor was prepared for that.

If you're looking at the music options, you should also study the dance forms.

The music is often set to go with particular dances--like Western Baroque compositions, understanding the one helps you understand the other.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

Thanks Mamselle for the suggestion. That seems like a good idea for a full understanding. I wonder whether there are live performances happening on the east coast.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

There's a very lively system of teaching studios, private instruction, and "first solo" performances in several towns I'm aware of.

PM me if you want details.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

So... not Ragga or Ragga-metal, then?
I know it's a genus.