News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

RIP Kobe Bryant

Started by clean, January 26, 2020, 12:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

Breaking news reports that Kobe Bryant (age 41) died in a helicopter crash. 
I am not a follower of the sport, but even I knew his name as a great.  His death at such a young age is certainly a surprise.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mlpkop

clean

The breaking news has been updated to note that Kobe Bryant and his 13 year old daughter, and 7 others died in the crash. 
Very sad news.

mamselle

The Boyz II Men a capella tribute, "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye," at the start of the Grammys--the spotlight showing his two jerseys in the rafters--was fitting.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Why take your thirteen year old up in helicopter near hills in the fog? I'm sorry to hear this. Poor judgment.

clean

QuoteWhy take your thirteen year old up in helicopter near hills in the fog? I'm sorry to hear this. Poor judgment.

So you dont drive in the rain or snow, or at night?  And IF you do, are you exercising 'poor judgement', especially if you have your children in the car with you? 

HE didnt pilot the aircraft, a professional pilot flew the craft. Interviews reported that they heard that the helicopter was low and abnormal making noises.  It is possible that a mechanical issue and not the passenger list, or poor judgement on the part of the passengers had a damn thing to do with this tragedy. 

mahagonny

'Los Angeles Police Department spokesman Josh Rubenstein said that the department's Air Support division grounded its helicopters Sunday morning due to foggy conditions and didn't fly until later in the afternoon.

"The weather situation did not meet our minimum standards for flying," Rubenstein said.'

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28572984/helicopter-carrying-kobe-bryant-made-climbing-turn-rapid-dive

clean

Quote"It was very foggy so we couldn't see anything,'' he said. "But then we heard some sputtering, and then a boom.''

mahagonny

OK, I don't know what happened. I just thought 'fog, hills, helicopter? I wouldn't go.' Then again, I get nervous flying even when the weather's clear.

Someone who knows the subject speculates...http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/01/kobe-bryants-helicopter-likely-succumbed-to-common-danger.html

Sorry to hear about the tragedy.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mahagonny on January 27, 2020, 04:59:18 AM
OK, I don't know what happened. I just thought 'fog, hills, helicopter? I wouldn't go.' Then again, I get nervous flying even when the weather's clear.

Someone who knows the subject speculates...http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/01/kobe-bryants-helicopter-likely-succumbed-to-common-danger.html

Sorry to hear about the tragedy.

According to Google maps, the trip is just over 2 hours by car. The crash happened after about 45 minutes of flight. It seems like quite a waste to save, at most, a couple of hours. (Actually, given transportation to and from airports, probably less than that.)
It takes so little to be above average.

clean

QuoteWhy take your thirteen year old up in helicopter near hills in the fog? I'm sorry to hear this. Poor judgment.

This post made it seem like someone was blaming the passengers for poor judgement. 
If the pilot thought it was safe to fly, how many passengers are in a position to second guess that?  Even when the pilot is in your personal employ, as I suspect was the case as Mr. Bryant was often flown by helicopter to many locations, it should be the Pilot's job to check the weather and be certain that the conditions were within the pilots abilities and licensing  (was he instrument rated for instance?) .

magnemite

Sad, but since some Okies were allowed to make off with my local team, the NBA has been dead to me. RIP, though.
may you ride eternal, shiny and chrome