News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Help me pick a new device

Started by polly_mer, May 30, 2019, 06:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Quote from: octoprof on July 03, 2019, 01:29:32 AM
Or as I'm posting so late, perhaps you've already bought something.

Not yet.  We're now leaning towards a Surface Pro or iPad to support Blocky's interest in being able to draw pictures electronically to include with his writing and game design activities.  Blocky's birthday is in about a month, so we're doing pricing now.

I'm not sure how my new reading gizmo as a combination upgrade from Blocky's couple-year-old-now-Christmas-present tablet/replacement for my 10-year-old laptop became another present for Blocky.  It's going to be like last year's experience of trading in my 15-year-old car for a brand-new one (under 100 miles on the odometer!) that Mr. Mer now drives and I have Mr. Mer's 15-year-old car. 

Doggone family who know a good deal when they see it.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

polly_mer

For those who are curious:

1) The red message indicating more than 120 days have passed on an old topic does appear on these fora.

2) We ended up with two new devices:
     (a) I got a Surface Pro with attachable keyboard to replace the reading/web-browsing aspects of a tablet
     (b) Blocky is getting a Mac laptop

I have now spent a good portion of my today ensuring those devices will be ready to use for a fun Christmas morning in a couple weeks instead of spending Christmas morning with a Blocky hanging off my shoulder with "Is it ready yet?  How about now?  Is it ready?  Now?  How long?"  The wifi password is active for all accounts on each computer.  All the updates have been installed.  The programs we use all the time are installed.  Settings are on good defaults now instead of the standard shipping oddities set for who-knows-who.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!