News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

TIME to ADJUST (Daylight Saving Time)

Started by clean, March 06, 2020, 12:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I slept in til 11!  When I saw the time, I though OMG I didnt think that I slept in THAT late!  (My allergies are intermittent, so I couldnt get to sleep early last night)

Lunch was after 2 pm, so Im not sure that I will have dinner at a 'reasonable time' as it is nearly 6 pm already! 
Im glad that I have Spring Break to get used to this new time!

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

dismalist

I slept in until ca. 3 PM! I can't go on like this ... .
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

hmaria1609

*Bump*
Change clocks for spring daylight savings this weekend!

dismalist

Oh, mercy, I forgot --  a freudian slip.

Daylight Saving Time was instituted in World War I, to save energy and such. I believe that war ended in 1918. Didn't everybody get the memo?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Anselm

Quote from: dismalist on March 06, 2020, 12:12:40 PM
I'm never ready to go to Daylight Savings Time. It's nothing more than state sponsored harassment.

The stuff was invented during World War I and used again during World war II. Last time I looked, these wars were over.

I was about to post that you are still paying a telephone tax from the Spanish American War but I fact checked and found out that the tax ended in 2006.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

dismalist

Quote from: Anselm on March 12, 2022, 11:57:02 AM
Quote from: dismalist on March 06, 2020, 12:12:40 PM
I'm never ready to go to Daylight Savings Time. It's nothing more than state sponsored harassment.

The stuff was invented during World War I and used again during World war II. Last time I looked, these wars were over.

I was about to post that you are still paying a telephone tax from the Spanish American War but I fact checked and found out that the tax ended in 2006.

This http://www.taxhistory.org/thp/readings.nsf/ArtWeb/557559440437EDBC8525718B005ACCCB?OpenDocument turned up on googling.

Fascinating!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Ruralguy

You do realize that most time pieces we use are on computational devices that self-adjust, right?

I have one watch (more, but I don't need to adjust the ones I am not wearing), and a car clock that need to be adjusted.

pgher

Quote from: Ruralguy on March 12, 2022, 12:40:00 PM
You do realize that most time pieces we use are on computational devices that self-adjust, right?

I have one watch (more, but I don't need to adjust the ones I am not wearing), and a car clock that need to be adjusted.

I have several clocks that I need to manually adjust. I also have one that automatically adjusts, but that I purchased before DST dates were changed (by Bush, I think). It aggravates me four times a year: twice when it doesn't adjust but should, twice when it does adjust but shouldn't. GRRR.

DST is stupid. There's no extra time. It's just an agreement among us all that we'll get up earlier or later. Whatever. I lived in Arizona for a while where nobody wants an extra hour of daylight in the summer, and it was great.

dismalist

Saw a headline that read "Whitehouse-sponsored bill would make daylight saving time permanent".

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/news/local/2022/03/12/sen-sheldon-whitehouse-sponsoring-bill-sunshine-protection-act-make-daylight-saving-time-permanent/7016412001/

Little did I realize that Whitehouse is not White House.

Look, make high noon any time you want, say when it's dark, but please don't be changing it all the time.

Thank you.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Puget

I'd be good with not changing the clocks if we can do it by making DST permanent. In December here it gets dark at 4:15, which is just demoralizing. Really, the time zones are just too wide.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Morden

The problem with permanent DST for much of Canada is the winter mornings. Permanent standard time works better for us.

dismalist

Quote from: Puget on March 13, 2022, 07:17:29 AM
I'd be good with not changing the clocks if we can do it by making DST permanent. In December here it gets dark at 4:15, which is just demoralizing. Really, the time zones are just too wide.
Quote from: Morden on March 13, 2022, 09:39:55 AM
The problem with permanent DST for much of Canada is the winter mornings. Permanent standard time works better for us.

The time zones are not too wide, then, they're too long [pole-to-pole]! :-)

I lived in a northern European city for a while. It was the Summer evenings which drove me crazy. It hardly got dark. And at 2 AM  the birds would start chirping, waking one.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

fishbrains

All I know is my dogs are happy to eat an hour earlier.

Maybe there's a lesson to be learned there. Or maybe they are just two dopey dogs. Hard to tell sometimes.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Istiblennius

Standard, Daylight Savings, I don't care, just stop changing it.

(I personally prefer Standard, only because I don't like dark mornings)

apl68

No real problem getting up for church an hour earlier on Sunday.  Now having to adjust to getting out an hour earlier for my early morning walk.  I had been getting up for it just after six.  Now I in effect am getting up a little after five, well before first light.  Or will be, once I get used to it.  This morning I was up about 6:40.  I hope to be getting up half an hour or so earlier by Friday.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all