News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Crazy Rhythms

Started by downer, June 03, 2019, 12:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

What music are you obsessed by at the moment?

I've been relaxing with the Feelies today. (The NJ band, in case any clarification is needed.)
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Bbmaj7b5

The host of a guitar-related youTube channel I subscribe to has a segment where he talks about what he has been listening to lately. The latest installment mentioned a Russian band named Kauan, and discussed their last release:

Kauan, "Kaiho"

Good meditative proposal-writing music.

paultuttle

The young child next door believes he is singing when actually he is screaming. Or yelling. Or otherwise making lots of noise via what used to be called "vocalizing" when professional singers did it.

(I've spoken to his mother about it. She says she doesn't tell him to stop screaming because she wants to encourage his artistic sensibilities. Um-kay . . . .)

Being newly 50 and therefore a Grumpy Old Man (tm), I've started learning all about how our new smart TV accesses the Internet. Specifically, YouTube. Even more specifically, the "1812 Overture" and similarly loud classical music.

(The fidelity of the sound reproduction is just amazing, FYI. Particularly at level 40 of 45, above which various tchotchkes start vibrating.)

So these days, when the little boy next door goes from "singing" to making noises considerably outside the parameters of "music"--including temper tantrums, meltdowns, and a particularly interesting Saturday afternoon featuring much experimentation with a new kazoo--I head over to the TV, pick up the remote, and access the Internet. Specifically, YouTube. Even more specifically, the versions of the "1812 Overture" with actual cannons.

For purely educational purposes, of course.

(I do believe I have all pertinent versions bookmarked.)

My next bookmarks might be various versions of "Pictures at an Exhibition." Or "Night on Bald Mountain." I'm still deciding . . . .

secundem_artem

Quote from: paultuttle on September 29, 2019, 05:37:13 PM
The young child next door believes he is singing when actually he is screaming. Or yelling. Or otherwise making lots of noise via what used to be called "vocalizing" when professional singers did it.

(I've spoken to his mother about it. She says she doesn't tell him to stop screaming because she wants to encourage his artistic sensibilities. Um-kay . . . .)

Being newly 50 and therefore a Grumpy Old Man (tm), I've started learning all about how our new smart TV accesses the Internet. Specifically, YouTube. Even more specifically, the "1812 Overture" and similarly loud classical music.

(The fidelity of the sound reproduction is just amazing, FYI. Particularly at level 40 of 45, above which various tchotchkes start vibrating.)

So these days, when the little boy next door goes from "singing" to making noises considerably outside the parameters of "music"--including temper tantrums, meltdowns, and a particularly interesting Saturday afternoon featuring much experimentation with a new kazoo--I head over to the TV, pick up the remote, and access the Internet. Specifically, YouTube. Even more specifically, the versions of the "1812 Overture" with actual cannons.

For purely educational purposes, of course.

(I do believe I have all pertinent versions bookmarked.)

My next bookmarks might be various versions of "Pictures at an Exhibition." Or "Night on Bald Mountain." I'm still deciding . . . .

If he's a singer, why not teach the little darlin' a song  (Most assuredly NSFW from that great Canadian duo MacLean MacLean)
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mamselle

I'll match your young singer with a lovely little 5one-year-old girl softly singing "The Eensey-Weensey Spider," on the bus yesterday: complete with carefully-done hand motions, and exactly on pitch.

Of course, I joined her.

One so rarely gets to play with people one's own age anymore....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Anselm

I'll give you a few options to explore on Youtube:

Peruvian garage rock from the 1960's
Botswana's heavy metal scene
Rhodesian / Zimbabwean rock from the 70's and 80's
pre-1975 rock music from Vietnam and Cambodia
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

wareagle

Try The Pines of Rome, specifically the last section which features massive brass.  Your windows will break.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

downer

It's getting to the time of the semester when I'm starting to listen to a bunch of post-hardcore. I realize that I never really paid attention to Drive Like Jehu back in the day, but they are great.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

backatit

The Lone Bellow has a new album out, so I'm haunting Youtube to get samples of the singles. I like it so far.

nescafe

Recently I'm on a kick of listening to A-WA or Sudan Archives while writing.

A-Wa's "Asad": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXpJmlIG_nk
Sudan Archives "Confessions": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgjrt12QTVQ

Bbmaj7b5

I got the new Silversun Pickups album ("Widow's Weeds") recently.

"Carnavas" and "Neck of the Woods" are still my favorites but this one is sinking in.

downer

Listening to a lot of Nick Drake today.

dismalist

Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Brubeck. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Larimar

paultuttle, for some variety for your young not-exactly-singer neighbor, how about Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man"? Lovely parts for bass drum, cymbal, and very shrill trumpets and French horns!

mahagonny

I'd tell you, but I'd be showing off my taste.