News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Quarantine versus Lift Quarantine Discussion

Started by mahagonny, April 30, 2020, 07:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

QuoteAnd please, can we all just agree that whenever classes resume, we aren't going to require doctors notes for absences? It has always been a bad idea, but the last thing we need is to encourage students to waste healthcare resources.

On the one hand, they are adults, and I dont require a doctor's note for any reason. I dont require attendance and several times a term I tell them that if they are not feeling well to stay home (or at least to stay the hell away from ME!!) 
On the other hand, I dont have ANY problem encouraging students to seek medical treatment!  They pay a fee for our student health clinic. I dont know what is there, but even if it is just a nurse practitioner, better that they confirm that they are actually sick (as compared to just having test or other anxiety) so that WHATEVER the cause of the symptoms, that they get it addressed! 

(My make up policy is that I dont do make ups. The grade on the final exam replaces the missed tests. There are plenty of in class quizzes and only the top fraction (5 of 8 or 7 of 10, depending on how many we have) count, so there are plenty of opportunities to make up grades for missed quizzes/exams.  I dont see that I will change those policies).
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Caracal

Quote from: Anselm on May 03, 2020, 11:17:54 AM
Are hotels capable and willing to accept infected people who need to quarantine?  Is this really a good plan?  If you were infected with a deadly disease would any of you want to spend two weeks in a hotel room?

Probably. They have a lot of empty rooms and need the money. Would I want to spend two weeks in a hotel room sick? Not for fun, but the alternative would be shutting myself in the spare bedroom in our house and trying desperately to avoid having any contact with my family in our not very big house. Compared to that, a hotel room where a medical professional came by once a day to make sure I was doing ok seems ok.

backatit

Quote from: Caracal on May 03, 2020, 11:45:18 AM
Quote from: Anselm on May 03, 2020, 11:17:54 AM
Are hotels capable and willing to accept infected people who need to quarantine?  Is this really a good plan?  If you were infected with a deadly disease would any of you want to spend two weeks in a hotel room?

Probably. They have a lot of empty rooms and need the money. Would I want to spend two weeks in a hotel room sick? Not for fun, but the alternative would be shutting myself in the spare bedroom in our house and trying desperately to avoid having any contact with my family in our not very big house. Compared to that, a hotel room where a medical professional came by once a day to make sure I was doing ok seems ok.

We tried that (the self-quarantine in home). It didn't work all that well - I'd take a hotel where I have food put outside my door, as long as I have an oximeter and a quick phone line to help I knew would come. I wouldn't want to feel like I'd been abandoned to die there, and there is the rub. At least at home I had my oximeter and knew that someone would come if I called.