News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Summer 2020 plans!! Whatchya gonna do??

Started by clean, March 30, 2020, 11:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

I'm scheduled for my normal two online sections. We'll see if they make.

I hope to have all my fall classes built well before summer, so ideally I won't have to be doing that in the summer months.

clean

Have your plans firmed up any?  Have they changed a lot from your first pass plan?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Cheerful

I don't plan more than a few days ahead right now.  That said, it's good to dream and plan for happier days in the future.  There will be some work as I need to devote time to fall course prep and a research project or two.

sprout

I'm considering teaching a summer class for the first time in a few years.  If we're all online anyways and we can't travel... Might be nice to have something to do.  Especially if spouse is still working from home.

Parasaurolophus

I'm teaching (online) in May-June. Other than that, I plan to write, write, write and publish, publish, publish.

I have far too many article projects in the works, and need to clear a few. I'd also like to get to work on my long-languishing novel, and on a small project introducing people to the family card game.

Realistically, I'll probably only end up getting a couple of articles done. But I can try! There won't be much else going on this summer, apart from local hikes/beach days (I'm on a mid-sized island, and those things will remain open and available to locals).
I know it's a genus.

Caracal

Everything for us is contingent on childcare. At this point there's really no way to tell if our daycare is going to reopen anytime soon. If not, we've thought about seeing if there any teenagers or college students around who could do regular babysitting. We'd probably only feel comfortable with that, however, if cases had gone down to the point that some restrictions could be lifted. (Thankfully, our governor is behaving sensibly, and has made it clear that restrictions being lifted are tied to specific benchmarks.) Hard to feel like there's much chance of getting much work done as long as we have a toddler in the house all the time.

Vkw10

My South Dakota road trip seems unlikely, but it's still a possibility for late summer. I'm contemplating a crafty week at home in late May, to get myself away from TV and computer. Maybe start a succulent garden on patio? Or pull out the mosaic tools and materials to replace damaged table top? Maybe find that clock building kit?

I need to do something that doesn't involve screen time.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

evil_physics_witchcraft

I found out that I have a surprise online Astronomy class for the summer. I didn't ask for it, it just kind of showed up in my schedule. So, looks like I have three online classes this summer. It's good to have a positive flux of cash into the household, so not complaining about that, I'm just annoyed that the person in charge of it didn't think to ask me.

At least I now have a home office set up- with an actual desk! I've found myself to be a lot more productive here. I suppose it has something to do with this room being defined as a 'work space' unlike the other rooms which have just way too many functions and distractions.

So, I'll be teaching this summer and piddling around the house. Hopefully, I'll be able to go back to campus and work in the community garden, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 26, 2020, 11:22:46 AM
I'm teaching (online) in May-June. Other than that, I plan to write, write, write and publish, publish, publish.

Amen, sister or brother.

I have an online class at full capacity which I accepted before the damn virus hit, otherwise I plan on hitting the keyboard hard this summer.  Two to three chapters and a proposal for the book contract.  Finish at least one article, sundry journalism, and some of the pulp stuff I write.

Also going to try and learn two first movements of two separate concertos that I've long wanted to play...

But I probably won't make my summer pilgrimage to my home state to visit my mother who suffers from dementia.  She's got 24-hour care with a wonderful professional service, a "living will" paying her bills, security cameras on the house that I can access, and I call her every evening, so I'm not worried about her material well-being...but I feel sad about not visiting.  It just seems too dangerous to travel through airports and potentially infect a fragile 80-something woman.  I also miss my home state something terrible, and every summer and Christmas visit is a renewal for me, kind of like a hobbit returning to the Shire.  And then there is the family cabin I haven't been to in three years...thinking of missing that drive out with the missus and the dogs makes me want to cry.  Oh well.

Keep writing just in case...well, just in case the sky does fall and we have to look elsewhere for employment.  Better to be as well armed as possible for the apocalypse...
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

backatit

Teach, and pray a hurricane doesn't hit?

Hopefully I can get some writing done.

Caracal

Quote from: Cheerful on April 26, 2020, 10:44:02 AM
I don't plan more than a few days ahead right now.  That said, it's good to dream and plan for happier days in the future.  There will be some work as I need to devote time to fall course prep and a research project or two.

I saw an article in The Times about people who had lived in war zones and through other long term disasters, and many of them said that it was important to not plan stuff far in advance, but also just be open to doing things like taking a vacation or traveling on short notice. It did help me to think that I don't have to see everything as impossible, just uncertain. I'm not making plans for June, but if we get there and conditions make it seem pretty low risk to ourselves and others to rent a place in the mountains for a week, we could just book it and go. The good news is that advanced reservations shouldn't be needed...

ohnoes

For as long as I can remember, I've said that I would spend the summer reading the physical books I've accumulated.

This might just be the year.

Sun_Worshiper

Was planning on doing fieldwork in China and attending several conferences... but now that is off the table.  Instead I'll just hang out at home and write as much as possible.

Economizer

So, anything I could plan depends on whether substitute teachers in public schools can
draw unemployment benefits. Does anyone know of, other than the public stimulus
disbursement, any federal relief monies that public school subs might be eligible to receive?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

clean

That is an interesting question.  How are substitute teachers paid?  Is it similar to contract workers or independent contractors?  I understand that the rules were relaxed to let independent contractors/'gig workers' to apply and be paid. 

If this was someone's full time employment, then I would suggest that the person go ahead and apply!  What are they going to do, other than say 'no'?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader