News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Summer 2020 plans!! Whatchya gonna do??

Started by clean, March 30, 2020, 11:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

We and other public libraries are trying to figure out how to plan for summer reading.  We're being strongly discouraged from holding face-to-face events--to have a virtual program instead.  Fine for urban libraries with plenty of bandwidth and well-heeled IT departments, perhaps.  But what are we smaller rural libraries who don't have much bandwidth--and have patrons whose only internet access is through using our facilities--supposed to do?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Vkw10

Quote from: Economizer on April 30, 2020, 06:41:07 AM
So, anything I could plan depends on whether substitute teachers in public schools can
draw unemployment benefits. Does anyone know of, other than the public stimulus
disbursement, any federal relief monies that public school subs might be eligible to receive?

Substitute teacher rules likely vary depending on how the local schools handle sub employment. When I worked in K12 nearly 30 years ago, my district had a few full-time substitutes and a sub pool. The full-time subs were eligible for benefits, including unemployment. One summer the district forgot to issue them letters of intent for the fall, so they were able to draw unemployment over the summer. Subs in the pool were not eligible for benefits, including unemployment, because they were hired by the day. But the gig worker rules may change that, if subs apply.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

the_geneticist

I'll be teaching one online class (possibly more, hopefully not!).  Hoping that I can take at least one trip to see friends, but that seems unlikely.  My state is under stricter lockdown than most with good reasons.  I really want to go to a beach and put my toes in the sand or escape into the wilderness for a few nights.
I'll most likely stay home, teach my class, water my gardens, and try to get some publications out.

Economizer

Tks Apl and Vkw.. At one time I had a teacher's license for several fields at HS & MG so I do get paid a little more than others. I guess that I am still DAY LABOR, BUT for any of us, you're only as good as each class will allow and the mood/day plans of the regular staff. I will apply but know that if awarded anything  by the state it will be challenged by the school system and I will have to pay back the State and that payback will go to Lord
only knows where. And, the schools will be proud that they have once defended successfully one of the rocks of their personnel  policies. Hell, a hundred bucks a week would help !
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!