News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Paralysis Analysis Renewed!

Started by mamselle, June 06, 2019, 01:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

So, this thread has gone and returned at the top of the leaderboard from time to time.

It was begun by prytania3 on Dec 31, 2006 (early in the days of the then-new CHE online forum format) with this post:

(presently still at: https://www.chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,32528.0.html )

QuoteSo I'm back from my holiday trip and am in a state of paralysis or ennui, or both. First, my place needs cleaning, which I planned to do this morning, but instead I read the New York Times cover to cover (or byte to byte since it was online) and watched all the online videos about Africa and China, while, of course, intermittently checking new postings on the fora. Now I am posting and watching Law and Order reruns. (There's actually one on now I haven't seen.)

Aside from my house being in disarray, I also want to do my syllabi (or syllabuses as is now the proper term--yeah, I know, it's to choke on) instead of waiting until the last minute, which is my usual tradition. What's more, I'm using a new book for a course and need to finish reading it. I also need to check my school email and see what I'm missing. and I should also answer some personal ads if I want to keep my dating momentum up. And did I mention the laundry? And going to the drug store? And grocery store?

I also have some "fun" plans, but they are not motivators as I'm in one of those "nothing seems like fun" moods, and the stock market doesn't open until Wednesday.

I know I can't get everything done today, but I'd like to get a start, but it's just not happening. I need some really practical way to get started. I'd like to get a lot done today and tomorrow because as I said, the stock market is back open on Wednesday, and I'll want to trade.

And to any well--meaning newbies, please do not suggest I'm depressed. I'm manic depressive, so that's a "Duh." And I have a psychiatrist, and I'm taking my medication.

I need some concrete steps to start moving. And oh, I have seen this Law and Order after all.

It has had moments of definite usefulness to others, and I have most recently found it to be really helpful in a crunch situation, then wandered away, then came back again a couple of times.

Both because I don't want to lose its continuity with earlier threads and because I hope not to be the only one on the thread all the time, I'm re-starting it here!!

(And for those who wonder, as I did, how to make the silly 'copy but not quote' thing work: hit "Quote" first, then go up and erase the leading [ quote ] 's and the trailing ones that say [ / quote ] and you'll get the text without the quote background stuff.

Also, the S strikeout function is not too hard on a phone; just type (I'm adding spaces so it won't actually activate a strikeout)

[ s ] text [ / s ] and it will line out the things you've finished.

Skilled PA'ers can do this in their sleep, I'm told.

M.

-=-=-=-=-

After a loong hiatus, Good morning to: anyone else who's on the thread!

Having a performative space for planning at this level of detail helps aerate it and keep it dynamic. It was the key to surviving last month's pressures of trying to prep a presentation while doing 16 other things at once. Hoping to avoid some of the need for the pressure (do some things in little bits as I can, although that sometimes gets sidetracked (something else "Pops the stack," I think they used to say of computer line-of-work triage). But coming back to this is useful. (Reminding myself).

Today:
  Blog paper sent in, accepted for their newsletter instead of the blogsite--which is fine! -- Yea!
      Pix sent, waiting to be sure they went through. Yea!

NP stuff has been on the back-burner due to the above; need to catch up on:
      Invitation letters to potential writers for the q6 mo magazine - finish list, do texts, send out
      Thank you's for donors, need to get list finalized, get USPS addresses, do letters, send (have to get envelopes ready)
      Tweets on previous magazine, just finished, set up 6, send out one q 3 days upcoming - need to do next
      Check on details of board meeting upcoming, conference associated (or not), etc.
      Followup to replies on branding poll, communications lists, etc. - started, not all received, yet...can't make 'em reply...
      Finish QBks entries - more to go inreconcile and do new raw report One report run, need to do reconciliation
      Figure out way forward: think about job overall, find alternatives? - start thinking about this....
   RR stuff has also been back-burnered, need to catch up on that:
       Abstract based on last paper done and sent in on time, received confirmation email, they'll let us know.
       Whether or not that one goes through, I have another venue for that and a releated paper which I'm pretty sure will take it
        Asked that group's coordinator if they'd entertain an abstract, awaiting reply
            Either separate text-related study to go with it or both together
        So, still need to:
           1) Find comparanda     
           2) Org. files, esp those torn apart prepping the most recent abstract

Grocery foraging?
Is there a swing dance Sat. night? Find and go, if so!
Collapse!

Longer term planning:
Acc - Students, theory book, own warmups, play out more, practice both kybds
      Give music, theory pages to students to work on.
      Review modes, create teaching pages for (14-yr-old!) student who requested them
      Find instructional songbook for voice student now he's ready for more.
      Revw. 20 Is. Dnc. tunes 'n' dances (bar/bat mitzvah options arise)- mk notebook w/both together.
Bgd - Liked doing the blog...hmmm....another one?
            Could do on Teachers' stones, Doctors' stones, others.
       Work on 17th c. Ch. 1 stones/OCBG bk- get pix, print all, play rummy w/those, too. Write up results. - started
       Think about new tours on HSqMins, stonecarvers' homesites, religs Art&Arch for NP2 next year.
       Prep tours, ck on linkup with  Summertours website guys, collusion possible? - find them and ask!
DIcn - Keep on with RR, get back to booklet chapter along with that
      Do separate thing on RR alone?
      Ditto KDnc mat's?
Sns/LtDnc - Write SAS once more, correct chapel name, get pix, forward to editor, and write my section/article.
   Promised short Fr. article inclusion needs more info, N/A to emails: call? Write USPS? Can't go...!
       Look up serieG info on chapitre for calvaire, any bkgd missed? Finish article, send for Fr. edits.
   Promised short standalone article needs liturgical office backup. Go see m'films...when? Backed up!
   Compile promised litdnc worksforward to sympathetic OSPguy soon, before he forgets!
DIcon- No word on poss. article from last month's conference paper, inquire about that...
   Do-- Draft final article from that, get more comparanda done, take the long view, write it up.
   Since none to few in the previous conference gave any critique I'll have to go further afield.
   See about submissions by invitation for their journal: no evidence of that so far. Find out.
    Type up the scraps of text I started to set up to work from, use that to develop it further.
    Remember to alternate between compiling sources and just thinking about the work.
    Remember to print up pix, do "match-up rummy," into different categories.
    Remember to ck with musicians I'll want to teach Renaissance dances at next year's banquet.
NP - Giving up on setup for fall conference, needed to meet co-conveners sooner, get out now--I think ED sees this now.
   SMag needs attention: next topic, get this one further along, etc.
   Website changes, ck on followup
   CGs need to take off, how support further?
   Do BStdy on Wshp/Arts
   Develop alt-inc options if NP goes south, as it could...DIN
   Do Qbks entries, clean up further, run new reports, do new trial bal. (Tomorrow...)
   Start next CC, Twts, Contact friendly colleague, get ideas (call/write again, he ghosted on me)

Overall:
  Apt. needs attention.
  Money decisions to make
  Two friends moving, need more help; one actively moving now, one more drive might do it.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Professional

• Contact my co-lead and figure out how we go forward after receiving the disheartening news that we must work in Word using track changes for the editors.
  • Go into work and get that script back up to date to produce results for Monday's meeting.

Personal

• Go read the documents for today's meeting with the lawyer (no biggie, we decided to be real grown-ups and gets wills/powers of attorney dutifully filed).
  • Break out the ancient laptop and continue working on the conversion from the physical card catalog to an electronic data base.  The laptop is so I can sit in the library while I do it in case I have to double check something.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

What about an external hard drive?

They do crump from time to time, but I get a lot of flexible use out of mine.

More PA after I get off the bus

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Quote from: mamselle on June 07, 2019, 08:54:29 AM
What about an external hard drive?

I'm not clear on the referent for this advice.  I want to be in the room of my house called the library surrounded by books as I convert the card catalog.  I could just take the relevant drawer of cards into the room of my house called my office to type on the desktop computer if I desired, but I like to be able to go over to the shelf to double check things with fewer steps and no intervening stairs.

I have to be physically at the office my employer provides for me to work on a computer that is isolated from the world to work on the script.  Putting an external hard drive there is a firing offense with likely criminal charges filed.

However, I can mark the documentation for the lawyer as being done.

Professional

• Contact my co-lead and figure out how we go forward after receiving the disheartening news that we must work in Word using track changes for the editors.
  • Go into work and get that script back up to date to produce results for Monday's meeting.

Personal

• Go read the documents for today's meeting with the lawyer (no biggie, we decided to be real grown-ups and gets wills/powers of attorney dutifully filed).
  • Break out the ancient laptop and continue working on the conversion from the physical card catalog to an electronic data base.  The laptop is so I can sit in the library while I do it in case I have to double check something.

mamselle

Ooohhh.....and XHDDs always seemed so innocent to me....but, I get it.

Hmmmmm....

M.

mamselle

After another loong hiatus, during which time several things have changed: hello to Polly and anyone else who's on the thread!

The Ex. Ass't job I've had working for the Ex. Dir of a NP is looking like it's in jeopardy; I'd give it 'til October--maybe December at the latest. I could be wrong, and we could get some unexpected funds in, but I think after three situations where people thought it was going to die, it really is now (and it's a 135-year-old organization, which is kinda sad...but...one can only do so much).

So, in addition to the ongoing research-y stuff, I've just lately updated both my resume (for EA work) and my CV (for teaching) and am starting to look at stuff that might pay me money and not be too dreadful to do.

I'm grumpy because I've been warning about this, and did a full spreadsheet to show why; the ED then said, "Oh, yes, I thought that might be the case" as if they hadn't pushed back every other time I'd brought it up.

Anyway:

1. Start renewing my resume on Monster, Linked In, and all their friends.
2. Start looking at websites for things I'm interested in, talking to folks, etc.
3. Keep working on the research-y stuff
4. Start doing close-out things that the NP will probably require so they're done sooner rather than later if I get a nibble and need to hop nimbly over the candlestick to my next job.
5. Tours start in 2 weeks: new bodice? new handout materials? Think about sites w/construction in the way...grrr....
6. Play out on Wednesdays? Make a regular thing of it? Might be worthwhile--doesn't bring a lot in, but good exposure.
7. Start looking at my own spreadsheet-like stuff....keep things in balance.
8. Do my own Tweets for tours....start with the article that just went in, plus schedule as usual, and Op-ed piece that came out.

Today:
NP stuff on the back-burner is starting to be caught up:
      Invitation letters to potential writers for the q6 mo magazine - finish list, do texts, send out - A few more to do
      Thank you's for donors, need to get list finalized, get USPS addresses, do letters, send (have to get envelopes ready)
               Need back bank info for pre-18 mo. online sources, ask for those.
      Tweets on previous magazine, just finished, set up 6, send out one q 3 days upcoming - need to do next
      Check on details of board meeting upcoming, conference associated (or not), etc.
      Followup to replies on branding poll, communications lists, etc. - started, not all received, yet...can't make 'em reply...
      Finish QBks entries - more to go in,  reconcile and do new raw report Second report needed, ck typos, do reconciliation
  Figure out way forward: think about job overall, find alternatives? - start thinking about this....Yup (saw it a month ago, as this shows)

RR stuff has also been back-burnered, need to catch up on that:
       Abstract based on last paper done and sent in on time, received confirmation email, they'll let us know.
       Another venue for a related paper may take it Asked that group's coordinator if they'd entertain an abstract, awaiting reply
       Started the abstract, did a couple drafts, need to collate and start a final file, so it's ready when they say "yes," (of course!)           
        So, still need to:
           1) Find comparanda     

Grocery foraging? Maybe.
Sat: Friend's birthday/dinner party; there's also a swing dance Sat. night--might try to go to both!
Collapse!

Longer term planning:
      Revw. 20 Is. Dnc. tunes 'n' dances (bar/bat mitzvah options arise)- mk notebook w/both together.
            Could do on Teachers' stones, Doctors' stones, others.
       Work on 17th c. Ch. 1 stones/OCBG bk- get pix, print all, play rummy w/those, too. Write up results. - started
       Think about new tours on HSqMins, stonecarvers' homesites, religs Art&Arch for NP2 next year.
       Prep tours, ck on linkup with  Summertours website guys, collusion possible? - find them and ask!
DIcn - Keep on with RR, get back to booklet chapter along with that
      Ditto KDnc mat's?
Sns/LtDnc - Write SAS once more, correct chapel name, get pix, forward to editor, and write my section/article.
   Promised short Fr. article inclusion needs more info, N/A to emails: call? Write USPS? Can't go...!
       Look up serieG info on chapitre for calvaire, any bkgd missed? Finish article, send for Fr. edits.
   Promised short standalone article needs liturgical office backup. Go see m'films...when? Backed up!
   Compile promised litdnc worksforward to sympathetic OSPguy soon, before he forgets!
DIcon- No word on poss. article from last month's conference paper, inquire about that...
   Do-- Draft final article from that, get more comparanda done, take the long view, write it up.
   Since none to few in the previous conference gave any critique I'll have to go further afield.
   See about submissions by invitation for their journal: no evidence of that so far. Find out.
    Type up the scraps of text I started to set up to work from, use that to develop it further.
    Remember to alternate between compiling sources and just thinking about the work.
    Remember to ck with musicians I'll want to teach Renaissance dances at next year's banquet.
NP - Giving up on setup for fall conference, needed to meet co-conveners sooner, get out now--I think ED sees this now.
      Nope: he still wants to play with the big boys; I can only do damage control, but I'm NOT doing all the work we'd have done 
      if they'd gotten back to us 6 mo. ago: It's too late for PR, we have other priorities, he's not well...it's really stupid!

Do BStdy on Wshp/Arts - Started
   Develop alt-inc options if NP goes south, as it could...DIN - Yep - see above.
   Do Qbks entries, clean up further, run new reports, do new trial bal. (Tomorrow...) - Need to do another run, fix typos, cells
   Start next CC, Twts, Contact friendly colleague, get ideas (call/write again, he ghosted on me)

Overall:
  Apt. needs attention.
  Money decisions to make
  Two friends moving, need more help; one actively moving now, one more drive might do it. - Did more, she's making progress.

I know this is long and scary but pixels are cheap and anyone else is welcome to join (or use the other, shorter sprint thread) so I'm not going to apologize! I just wish I could, like Octo, cross off more stuff at a time!

M.

octoprof

Quote from: mamselle on June 21, 2019, 01:01:09 PM
I know this is long and scary but pixels are cheap and anyone else is welcome to join (or use the other, shorter sprint thread) so I'm not going to apologize! I just wish I could, like Octo, cross off more stuff at a time!

Progress is all that matters. And yes, pixels are cheap. You have an impressive list!

There's nothing wrong with a long list (I tend to make them long so I don't have to stress over remembering stuff - I know it's on my list). I'm traveling this summer and this week in particular I'm not being very productive, by design. The last four weeks have been a frenzy of teaching and learning and completing a big research project by a 6/30 deadline. I'm so tired. Seriously, doing nothing is underrated and that's mostly what I'm doing for a few days this week. However, I will start building the pre-fall-semester (PFS) to do list and the FSS (fall-semester-stuff) to do list soonish just so I can at least feel I'm writing things down. Fall is going to be insane because I'm taking on a new position that involves doing stuff I've never done before, and it's all a bit scary.

Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

octoprof

Ok, I should vaguely start developing the list.

Teaching
In Progress
201: daily grading and emails
512: daily grading and emails
Prep for Fall
412 - Draft a list of what needs to be done
542 - Draft a list of what needs to be done

Research
Projects
Julian: Draft a to do list for the R&R, next conference call is 7/4 4pm
Samara: Evaluate the data, draft a to do list
Mentoring
Rhonda: Read something from student's folder, make to do list, next call 7/9 4pm
Isolde: Ask how summer research is going...
Peaches: Ask how summer research is going...

Service/Admin
Plan: Draft a master list of all the crap to be done in early fall
CPE: develop outline for program

Personal
Get back on the PT bandwagon - five times a week minimum
Vaguely start thinking about menu planning for mid-August
Sort doctor appointments - Move late Sept PCP to August? When is dental check up?

octoprof

Still rather vague, but I'm just planning mostly...

I have exercised and showered today. I'm not making any claims beyond that since it's lazy vacation week.

Teaching
In Progress
201: daily grading and emails, remind about drop deadline!
571: daily grading and emails
Prep for Fall
412 - Minor changes; Draft a list of what needs to be done
542 - Minor changes; Draft a list of what needs to be done
Prep for Spring
453 - Major overhaul; Draft a list of what needs to be done

Research
Projects
Julian: Draft a to do list for the R&R, Next conference call:7/4 4pm
Rhoda: Edit pass, journal target, need lit file from R.
Mentoring
Rhonda: Read something from student's folder, make to do list, next call: 7/9 4pm

Service/Admin
Plan: Draft a master list of all the crap to be done in early fall [started]

Personal
Get back on the PT bandwagon - July: 1
Vaguely start thinking about menu planning for mid-August: drafting list in Excel
Sort doctor appointments - Move late Sept PCP to August? When is dental check up?

octoprof

Hellooooooooo!

Teaching
In Progress
201: daily grading and emails, remind about drop deadline!
571: daily grading and emails
Prep for Fall
412 - Minor changes; Draft a list of what needs to be done
542 - Minor changes; Draft a list of what needs to be done
Prep for Spring
453 - Major overhaul; Draft a list of what needs to be done

Research
Projects
Julian: Draft a to do list for the R&R, Next conference call:7/4 4pm
Rhoda: Edit pass, journal target, need lit file from R.
Mentoring
Rhonda: Read something from student's folder, make to do list, next call: 7/9 4pm

Service/Admin
Plan: Draft a master list of all the crap to be done in early fall [started]

Personal
Get back on the PT bandwagon - July: 1, 3
Vaguely start thinking about menu planning for mid-August: drafting list in Excel

mamselle

OK, back again!

Let's see:

The Ex. Ass't job I've had working for the Ex. Dir of a NP is [still, to me] looking like it's in jeopardy; our president says not, but I do the books and I don't see as much income as outgo....so I'm still going to stay worried until I see differently. So:

1. Updated resume (EA work) renewed on Linked In, and indeed; - still have to do Monster and all their friends.
2. Start looking at websites for things I'm interested in, talking to folks, etc. - ongoing
3. Keep working on the research-y stuff - also ongoing - one topic's stuff moving slowly, but it's moving.
4. Start doing close-outs so if I get a nibble and need to hop nimbly over the candlestick to my next job--started, problems...grr..
5. Tours start in 2 weeks Saturday!: new bodice? new handouts? Visit sites w/ongoing construction...grrr--started, coming soon!
6. Play out on Wednesdays? Make a regular thing of it? Might be worthwhile--doesn't bring a lot in, but good exposure--pondering
7. Start looking at my own spreadsheet-like stuff....keep things in balance--not yet.
8. Do my own Tweets for tours....start with article that just went in, schedule as usual, and earlier Op-ed piece. - one done, more to do
9. Updated CV (teaching)- now on my Academia site (but the old one won't go away and I just got three hits on it!)

Today:
NP stuff on the back-burner is starting to be caught up:
      Invitation letters to potential writers for the q6 mo magazine - finish list, do texts, send out - Stalled, still more to do
               Need back bank info for pre-18 mo. online sources, ask for those--do draft letter today.
      Tweets on previous magazine, just finished, set up 6, send out one q 3 days upcoming - still need to do next
      Check on details of board meeting upcoming, conference associated (or not), etc. - Done, 'Huit clos'...go to TnC after?
      Followup to replies on branding poll, communications lists, etc. - done, still not all received, yet...can't make 'em reply...
      Finish QBks entries - Issues. Reconciliation not possible w/o a) new laptop w/QBks, replc dying old one; b) Bk sends data link
  Figure out way forward: think about job overall, find alternatives? - still thinking about this....now 2 month ago, as this shows)

RR stuff has also been back-burnered, need to catch up on that: Same
       Another venue for a related paper may take it Asked that group's coordinator if they'd entertain an abstract, awaiting reply
       Started the abstract, did a couple drafts, need to collate and start a final file, so it's ready when they say "yes," (of course!)           
        So, still need to:
           1) Find comparanda     

Grocery foraging? Same
Sat: Swing dance Sat. night--try to go !
Collapse!

Longer term planning:
            Could do on Teachers' stones, Doctors' stones, others. - working on ideas, could use to develop text for the book...
       Work on 17th c. Ch. 1 stones/OCBG bk- get pix, print all, play rummy w/those, too. Write up results. - 5/75 stones done
DIcn - Keep on with RR, get back to booklet chapter along with that - Same
      Ditto KDnc mat's?
Sns/LtDnc - Write SAS once more, correct chapel name, get pix, forward to editor, and write my section/article. - Same
      Nope: he still wants to play with the big boys; I can only do damage control, but I'm NOT doing all the work we'd have done 
      if they'd gotten back to us 6 mo. ago: It's too late for PR, we have other priorities, he's not well...it's really stupid!
   Do BStdy on Wshp/Arts - Started
   Develop alt-inc options if NP goes south, as it could...DIN - Yep - see above.
   Do Qbks entries, clean up further, run new reports, do new trial bal. (Tomorrow...) - Need to do another run, fix typos, cells

Overall:
  Apt. needs attention.
  Money decisions to make
  Two friends moving, need more help; one actively moving now, one more drive might do it. - Did more, she's making progress.

M.

polly_mer

Quote from: mamselle on July 03, 2019, 02:56:49 PMThe Ex. Ass't job I've had working for the Ex. Dir of a NP is [still, to me] looking like it's in jeopardy; our president says not, but I do the books and I don't see as much income as outgo....so I'm still going to stay worried until I see differently.

I hate that situation where the data are clear, but others are in denial.

I can't compete with the long lists here because I keep most of my lists elsewhere.  But:

Professional

• Write my next assigned section for the dreaded track-changes paper
  • Notify my co-lead that I'm taking the secretary up on her office to organize monthly writing group meetings so we go forward
  • Dig out the data for the next paper and get a draft going.
  • Address the comments from the code review and get my pull request updated

Personal

• Sign the documents with the lawyer and get the documents distributed to where they need to go
  • Write as many post-it notes as it takes to let go of some of the books as I convert from physical card catalog to electronic data base.  Giving the books away means I don't have to do as much new data entry.

octoprof

Quote from: polly_mer on July 03, 2019, 06:55:38 PM
I can't compete with the long lists here because I keep most of my lists elsewhere. 

It's not a competition! :-)

I try to write everything down so I don't forget and so my brain can let go and not stress over remembering. I'm sure that isn't logical, but whatever.

polly_mer

Quote from: octoprof on July 04, 2019, 02:40:06 AM
I try to write everything down so I don't forget and so my brain can let go and not stress over remembering. I'm sure that isn't logical, but whatever.

I do the same thing with a small notebook I carry everywhere to capture a task as it arises to then be transferred at the end of the day to the post-it cork board that is a whole wall in my at-work office.  First-time visitors to my office often need a couple minutes to just stare at the board since apparently my colleagues feel limited to tiny white boards as their planning surfaces.

I'm not replicating that list here, but only hitting the high points for the next week or so.

octoprof

Quote from: polly_mer on July 04, 2019, 02:46:33 AM
Quote from: octoprof on July 04, 2019, 02:40:06 AM

I do the same thing with a small notebook I carry everywhere to capture a task as it arises to then be transferred at the end of the day to the post-it cork board that is a whole wall in my at-work office.  First-time visitors to my office often need a couple minutes to just stare at the board since apparently my colleagues feel limited to tiny white boards as their planning surfaces.

I'm not replicating that list here, but only hitting the high points for the next week or so.

Sounds good. I tend to work the other way around but similarly.

I'm moving offices over the summer (while I'm off campus). I hope someone thought to move my giant whiteboard...