News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

macbook pro or air for academics?

Started by rabbitandfox23, July 01, 2020, 06:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbitandfox23

Hi there,

I'm about to splurge on a new computer and am deciding between the Macbook Pro and the Macbook Air. I've used Macbook Pros for the last ten years and have been happy with them, but I'm starting to find the size and weight of the Air attractive. I do travel quite a bit for conferences, and I sometimes find the Pro to be heavy.  But I also have the sense that the Air has less fancy  features that I'm used to now (e.g., retina screen) I'm in the Humanities and don't use my computer for anything super fancy -- word, internet, excel for managing grades, some digital humanities programs, etc -- but I also enjoy having a fast running device with crisp high quality visuals.

I'm wondering if other academic, apple enthusiasts out there have any views on this which model has served their needs best.

Thanks!

Parasaurolophus

I don't care for Apple products, but my partner swears by her refurbished 2010 Macbook Air (purchased a year ago), so I imagine you'll be fine either way (although only you know the specs required to run your usual programs). Others here are bound to be better informed, but I think it pretty much comes down to your preferences and how much you're happy spending.
I know it's a genus.

nebo113

Quote from: rabbitandfox23 on July 01, 2020, 06:32:33 PM
Hi there,

I'm about to splurge on a new computer and am deciding between the Macbook Pro and the Macbook Air. I've used Macbook Pros for the last ten years and have been happy with them, but I'm starting to find the size and weight of the Air attractive. I do travel quite a bit for conferences, and I sometimes find the Pro to be heavy.  But I also have the sense that the Air has less fancy  features that I'm used to now (e.g., retina screen) I'm in the Humanities and don't use my computer for anything super fancy -- word, internet, excel for managing grades, some digital humanities programs, etc -- but I also enjoy having a fast running device with crisp high quality visuals.

I'm wondering if other academic, apple enthusiasts out there have any views on this which model has served their needs best.

Thanks!

Just curious as to when you think you will return to traveling for conferences....

Hegemony

The Air has always worked great for me, and I agree that conferences are unlikely to be a consideration for a while. However, read up on the ports before you choose a model. I bought a slightly out of date model because the ports were less annoying.

Puget

I have a Pro now because that's what the university buys for us, but I was perfectly happy with the Air I had before. Really, unless you are doing video game development or something the Air probably is fine for you, and the lightness is nice.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

rabbitandfox23

Quote from: Puget on July 02, 2020, 08:08:28 AM
I have a Pro now because that's what the university buys for us, but I was perfectly happy with the Air I had before. Really, unless you are doing video game development or something the Air probably is fine for you, and the lightness is nice.

Thanks! You don't find the Air to be an inferior machine when you compare it to the Pro? No problem with sluggishness?

jerseyjay

I have a 2013 MacBook Air. I don't use it for anything fancy--email, going onto the web, streaming music and videos, and, of course, using it to write. I am happy. I have taken it to conferences and to the archives and it works fine.

That said, I also have a cheap (<$200) HP laptop that I use for international travel or to places that I don't want to have to worry about having my more expensive Mac being stolen/broken/lost, and it works fine also. Its battery does not last so long, it is a bit bigger, the screen is not as high resolution and the sound doesn't sound as nice.

I am a historian. I look at PDFs and I write. If I were a computer scientist or graphic designer I would probably have different thoughts.

So I guess if all you do is drive to church every Sunday, any car will really do, although some look better and are more prestigious than others.

Hegemony

My Air, which I bought in 2018, has never been sluggish in any way.

Puget

Quote from: rabbitandfox23 on July 02, 2020, 08:38:34 AM
Quote from: Puget on July 02, 2020, 08:08:28 AM

Thanks! You don't find the Air to be an inferior machine when you compare it to the Pro? No problem with sluggishness?

Well, I never had a new Air and Pro side by side, so I can't directly compare. The Air got me through my postdoc with no problems (including lots of data analysis). It was getting old when I moved to my faculty position and the university buys us Pros, so that's what I've had since, and those have also been good, though this one had a lemon of a top case (battery and keyboard both had problems) that had to be replaced (under warranty by the university).  It doesn't sound like anything you do would tax an Air at all, so I doubt you would notice a difference.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

rabbitandfox23

Thanks! Leaning towards the Air now... which will save me a few hundred bucks!

Hegemony

One thing I've noticed is that you can't just leave it on indefinitely, or asleep or whatever. Every few days you need to restart it, or it does get a little confused. But that's a pretty small thing.

Bonnie

Quote from: Hegemony on July 02, 2020, 04:13:22 PM
One thing I've noticed is that you can't just leave it on indefinitely, or asleep or whatever. Every few days you need to restart it, or it does get a little confused. But that's a pretty small thing.

Not across Airs. I very rarely turn mine off/restart (maybe every couple months?) and do not have this problem.