News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Encouraging people to vote by mail?

Started by nonsensical, August 19, 2020, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonsensical

I am hesitating to start this thread because I am looking for advice about a very specific thing, and I am hoping that this thread does not become a political mess. Perhaps there is not really a way to prevent that from happening, in which case I hope for some helpful advice beforehand.

Because of COVID, I have been writing postcards encouraging people to sign up for mail-in voting. But given what is currently happening with USPS, I am not sure how good of an idea that is. On the one hand, maybe people are choosing between mail-in voting or no voting, in which case, the former option is obviously better. Plus, for the places I'm writing, if people register for mail-in voting now they keep getting mailed ballots for every election going forward for several years, which seems like a good way to encourage people to vote even when there are no presidential candidates on the ballot. On the other hand, maybe people would have voted in person if not for this encouragement to vote by mail, and writing them postcards to encourage voting by mail is actually putting them at greater risk of disenfranchisement (because their ballot won't arrive in time to get counted, etc.). I know my efforts are just a drop in the bucket and may not matter that much either way, but I'd like to be putting my time and energy where they are well used, and I'm not sure whether encouraging people to register for mail-in voting is a good thing to be doing right now or not.

What do you all think? My goal is to help people vote in a way such that their votes will actually be counted. Is encouraging them to register for mail-in voting an effective way to achieve that goal? If anyone here is a political scientist or otherwise knows about voting, one piece of data that would be really helpful to know is whether people who don't vote by mail are more likely to vote in person or more likely not to vote at all. But really, any advice you have for me on this topic is welcome!

Parasaurolophus

They can take their mail-in ballot to dropoff boxes though, right?

I think it's a worthwhile effort, especially if you take the time to remind them they have to be early, that they can use the boxes, etc.
I know it's a genus.

Ruralguy

My state is dragging its feet in getting out ballot applications, which itself is non trivial and then dragging also  in processing. So, I don't trust that  system. My polling place was only mildLy crowded in 2012 and 2016, so I doubt I'd be at great risk just showing up. I'd risk death to get this President out.

ciao_yall

Look at it this way - the more people who vote by mail, the more invested people will be in making sure their mail-in ballots are counted.

So keep up the good work!

mahagonny

When you're going through hell, keep going.

clean

Quotemaking sure their mail-in ballots are counted.

I am less concerned about the post office's ability to deliver the ballots,and more worried about the county/state's ability to actually open and count the ballots that come in! 
From what I have seen, the ballots can not be counted until after the polls close. 

I really believe that the table is set to challenge the results.  The results wont be known for days and the longer it takes to report firm results, the more people that will be upset and claim that there is a rigged election.

We are beginning "Interesting times" regarding this election, I fear.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

polly_mer

Can you emphasize voting early?  As CC_Alan used to write, the due date doesn't have to be the do date.

Dropping off the ballot in mid-October means your vote will definitely be counted.

Applying for a ballot right now and returning that ballot in September the week it arrives means your vote will definitely be counted.

If one plans, then in-person early voting in early-to-mid October should also be relatively low risk in many places.

There's little that will change between now and the first week of November that will matter unless someone on the ballot literally dies.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

cathwen

One thing I will NOT be doing is sending my ballot through the USPS. 

My Plan A, assuming my application for a mail-in ballot results in one that arrives on time, will be dropping it into a special ballot box at city hall.

My Plan B is to go vote in person on November 3 in mask, gloves, and a disposable suit if necessary.

My state does not allow early voting.  If it did, that would be my Plan A.

nonsensical

Thank you all for your thoughts. I get addresses through an organization that has specific requirements for postcards, including the stuff that can be written on them, so I don't think I can write anything other than instructions for how to register to vote by mail. But I do think people can drop off their completed ballots rather than mailing them, plus someone else pointed out to me that having a ballot in their house might urge people to go vote even if they end up doing it in person. Lots of food for thought here, and I'm eager to hear more thoughts if others have anything to add!

nebo113

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 19, 2020, 03:02:01 PM
They can take their mail-in ballot to dropoff boxes though, right?

I think it's a worthwhile effort, especially if you take the time to remind them they have to be early, that they can use the boxes, etc.

My state forbids drop boxes though the legislature is currently considering it, but probably won't happen in time.  Completed ballots may be dropped off IN the registrar's office.

mamselle

An email from DeJoy has instructed managers of offices where sorting machines were disconnected not to re-connect them until notified.

Those who had machines returned have discovered they are missing key parts and will not operate.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/20/politics/usps-reconnect-sorting-machines/index.html

I hope that issue is addressed very soon.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Early voting has gotten to be a big thing in our state in recent years.  That will probably help.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

nebo113

Quote from: mamselle on August 21, 2020, 06:19:20 AM
An email from DeJoy has instructed managers of offices where sorting machines were disconnected not to re-connect them until notified.

Those who had machines returned have discovered they are missing key parts and will not operate.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/20/politics/usps-reconnect-sorting-machines/index.html

I hope that issue is addressed very soon.

M.

Just read that postal employees in Texas and Washington are putting machines back together....against DeJoye's orders.  Deep state at work for the people?!?!?

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.