Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Split from 2020 Elections: Energy Technology

Started by Parasaurolophus, November 05, 2020, 08:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Quote from: spork on November 11, 2020, 04:40:07 PM
What's the error?

Expected [financial, I guess] value of insurance is < 0 is misleading. Expected utility, i.e. one's personal valuation, of insurance must be > 0. Otherwise, we wouldn't do it, or: I'd rather have my house burn down than pay for insurance! :-)

Pity about the insurance part, because that's the way we should be thinking about such problems. Never mind, the article is really good for the inter-temporal stuff.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on November 11, 2020, 04:44:53 PM
What's the error?

Expected [financial, I guess] value of insurance is < 0 is misleading. Expected utility, i.e. one's personal valuation, of insurance must be > 0. Otherwise, we wouldn't do it, or: I'd rather have my house burn down than pay for insurance! :-)

Pity about the insurance part, because that's the way we should be thinking about such problems. Never mind, the article is really good for the inter-temporal stuff.

It is misleading, but also factual. It also isn't useful. I mean, the expected value has to be less than 0 for the consumer or insurance companies couldn't exist.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 11, 2020, 06:16:55 PM
What's the error?

It is misleading, but also factual. It also isn't useful. I mean, the expected value has to be less than 0 for the consumer or insurance companies couldn't exist.

Cancel your fire insurance!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

spork

What's the error?

You can always have the government force others to pay for your insurance, at least in part, as happens with beachfront vacation homes in hurricane zones.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on November 11, 2020, 07:08:44 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 11, 2020, 06:16:55 PM
What's the error?

Cancel your fire insurance!

?

Not I. I was agreeing with you, and mocking the inclusion of the statement by the author.