News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

How much for a haircut?

Started by polly_mer, December 03, 2020, 05:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

I was chatting with some colleagues recently and was surprised at how much some people were paying for haircuts, styling, etc. and how long they were spending with the stylist to get that effect.

The record so far has been $250 for four hours of work every 6-8 weeks.  I was much less sympathetic to the "broke" grad student when I learned that one, especially since I'd been thinking all this time that she'd been hacking away at her own hair with scissors (possibly without a mirror) and random boxes of rainbow hair dye from the discount store.

What's a haircut cost where you are and what do you get for that money?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

spork

For me it's zero. I own electric clippers and have been cutting my own hair for decades. If I do go to a local barbershop, the pre-pandemic cost was $20 for a haircut.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

marshwiggle

Quote from: spork on December 03, 2020, 06:02:17 AM
For me it's zero. I own electric clippers and have been cutting my own hair for decades. If I do go to a local barbershop, the pre-pandemic cost was $20 for a haircut.

I'm similar. I bought a $60 buzzer in the spring, and every couple of weeks go out on the deck to use it. Pre-pandemic haircuts were also about $20.
It takes so little to be above average.

wareagle

Depends.  If I go to a national chain cheapo place, about $17.  If I go to a real salon, start at $35 and go up.

I trim my own bangs, and only get a cut about 4 times a year.  The goal is always to leave more hair on the floor than remains on my head.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

EdnaMode

The cost for basic haircuts at the independent salon where I've been going for years is $20. I also get mine colored and styled so my cost is around $60-80, depending on whether I get highlights or not. During the 4 months our salons were closed, I saw the true color of my hair for the first time in years, but since it is long, past my shoulders, not getting it cut didn't make much of a difference, it just got longer.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

Ruralguy

I'm pretty much in line with Spork.

I've always thought that this was a girl tax, since the expectations are higher (besides that more women have more hair to do something with). I am sure not everyone deals with highlights, let alone changing seasonal highlights, etc.., but all of that adds up.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Ruralguy on December 03, 2020, 06:59:47 AM

I've always thought that this was a girl tax, since the expectations are higher (besides that more women have more hair to do something with). I am sure not everyone deals with highlights, let alone changing seasonal highlights, etc.., but all of that adds up.

It's not a tax if it's payment for more (or more expensive/detailed) service.

EdnaMode

Quote from: Ruralguy on December 03, 2020, 06:59:47 AM

Speaking only for myself, a statistically insignificant N of 1, I do color and highlights out of personal choice, not because of any sort of societal expectation. I had my first grey hairs as a teenager and went, nope! Not gonna go grey this early, and have been coloring ever since - did box color when I was a poor grad student. Many friends my age have gone grey, and look fine, but I'm still waging that war. I'm not otherwise vain, rarely wear makeup, don't spend a lot on clothes, etc. but I'm willing to pay to get my hair done by my fabulous hair guy. My brother, on the other hand, shaves his own balding head with clippers, but spends more on shoes than I would ever dream of. I think it all comes down to personal choice.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 03, 2020, 07:03:19 AM

It's basically impossible for women to get a haircut that's as cheap as a man's. Even 'cheap' women's cuts, with no dye-work, can easily run to $60+. The base price is just higher.

When I was a teen in the aughts, I'd get my haircut from the barber for $2. As a young adult, I went elsewhere and paid $8-12. Then followed a long period of self-cutting (well, self-mohawking), to which I still return periodically. But I now also periodically shell out $25 for someone to make the mohawk nicer and cleaner.
I know it's a genus.

downer

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 03, 2020, 08:07:23 AM

It's basically impossible for women to get a haircut that's as cheap as a man's. Even 'cheap' women's cuts, with no dye-work, can easily run to $60+. The base price is just higher.

When I was a teen in the aughts, I'd get my haircut from the barber for $2. As a young adult, I went elsewhere and paid $8-12. Then followed a long period of self-cutting (well, self-mohawking), to which I still return periodically. But I now also periodically shell out $25 for someone to make the mohawk nicer and cleaner.

Is there anything preventing non-males going to a barber's shop? They can't refuse service, can they?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Volhiker78

I am like EdnaMode  (except I'm male).   I get my hair colored and cut at the same time.   I started this about 10 years ago when I was job hunting in my early 50's.  My employer (mega corporation) identified folks like me that they were likely going to lay off soon and gave each of us money to hire a 'career coach' if we so desired.  My career coach couldn't give any advice regarding academic jobs but she did say that I needed to look younger.  She suggested losing weight and getting rid of my grey hair!  Of course, it is impossible to hide your age in a CV so everyone knew roughly how old I was.  Still, it might have helped that I looked younger.  Who knows?  Oh, for a color and a cut,  my barber charges 40 dollars and I add 10 dollars for tip. 

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: downer on December 03, 2020, 08:09:46 AM

Is there anything preventing non-males going to a barber's shop? They can't refuse service, can they?

The toonie rate doesn't apply to everyone. And depending on your barber, they may not know how to cut a women's cut. Kind of like how not every stylist knows what to do with Black hair.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

marshwiggle

Um. no.

From First choice:
ADULTS
Haircut   $18.95

downer

Not surprisingly, there's plenty of online advice for women who want to go to the barber's. Here's one piece.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis