News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

How much for a haircut?

Started by polly_mer, December 03, 2020, 05:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

Quote from: fourhats on December 03, 2020, 09:03:28 AM
QuoteI never had thought about that being an issue.  I've always lived in communities where black people and hair salons were common.  In some places it probably would be a challenge for a black student to find good hair care.

Lots of colleges and universities aren't in big cities. Even black faculty ask this question when offered positions.

There are other issues for people with this kind of hair that people don't ever consider. For instance, whenever I fly internationally, TSA agents take me aside, pull on latex gloves, and tell me they are required to go through my hair to make sure I'm not hiding anything there. They don't do this to white people with curly hair. It's awful.

https://travelnoire.com/black-women-share-how-tsa-still-messes-with-your-hair-when-going-through-security

State-sponsored racism.

What is the term that's equivalent to "pink tax" for ethnic minorities?
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Vkw10

The chain shop near me charges $14, so I give them a $20 to include tip. I tried finding an independent salon when we moved here, but the independents I tried weren't relaxing. They tended to overbook, resulting in long waits past appointment time, and to constantly try to talk me into color, product, etc. I don't mind paying $50 for a haircut in relaxed atmosphere, but if I walk out irritated then I mayas well use the chain shop where the goal is a decent cut every 12 minutes.

I was due a cut when pandemic closed things down. By the time barber and beauty shops reopened here, my hair was long enough to tie back neatly, so I haven't bothered yet. Maybe I'll get it cut when pools open.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

apl68

Quote from: cathwen on December 03, 2020, 03:43:27 PM
When I lived in RuralUtopia, I was paying $13 for a haircut.  (That was 20 years ago.). Then I moved to State Capital and was scandalized at having to pay $35–but it included a back massage, so that made it worth it.  Then I moved to Big City where a modest salon charged $75.  Now I'm in a small city not far from the big one, and I still pay $75.

I have stick-straight hair, so the slightest mistake in cutting is glaringly obvious.  So I'm happy to pay for a good cut—and besides, I enjoy chatting with my hairdresser. 

I do not dye my hair—I started going gray in my teens, but it grew in in such a way that strangers on the street would stop me and ask me where I had it "done."  And it is silver rather than gray.  I still get occasional compliments on the color from strangers.

If my father and grandmother are anything to go by, I'll probably end up silver as well.  Which would be fine by me.

Right now I'm overdue for a cut.  With infection rates like they are, I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to get that taken care of.  I noticed that Dr. Fauci said the other day that he doesn't get his hair cut as often as he used to.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Langue_doc

Quote from: fourhats on December 03, 2020, 09:03:28 AM
QuoteI never had thought about that being an issue.  I've always lived in communities where black people and hair salons were common.  In some places it probably would be a challenge for a black student to find good hair care.

Lots of colleges and universities aren't in big cities. Even black faculty ask this question when offered positions.

There are other issues for people with this kind of hair that people don't ever consider. For instance, whenever I fly internationally, TSA agents take me aside, pull on latex gloves, and tell me they are required to go through my hair to make sure I'm not hiding anything there. They don't do this to white people with curly hair. It's awful.

https://travelnoire.com/black-women-share-how-tsa-still-messes-with-your-hair-when-going-through-security

Not to derail the thread, but are these male agents rummaging through your hair? I would contact a senator or some other official and also send them a written report. If enough people complain,  the TSA and other agencies might have procedures in place that are not so dehumanizing.