News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Groveling Apology to the Gods of Wokeness Thread

Started by mahagonny, December 18, 2020, 05:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: apl68 on December 22, 2020, 07:36:40 AM
The human body is the focus of dance.  In today's environment, human bodies and assorted issues surrounding them have become extremely fraught.  In that sort of climate, I would think that a dance troop would face a complete no-win situation when it came to avoiding controversy.

It's not healthy to notice that.

larryc

mahagonny

Quote from: larryc on December 23, 2020, 02:52:10 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on December 19, 2020, 11:10:21 AM
I used a grievance aggregator to save time.

Splendid. Much healthier.

I didn't write that. Don't even know what an aggregator is. Fora malfunction?

larryc

mahagonny

mahagonny

Diogenes

I follow a great facebook group called "Conservatives getting angry over things they made up themselves." I find it fitting here.

mahagonny

Quote from: apl68 on December 22, 2020, 07:36:40 AM
The human body is the focus of dance.  In today's environment, human bodies and assorted issues surrounding them have become extremely fraught.  In that sort of climate, I would think that a dance troop would face a complete no-win situation when it came to avoiding controversy.

This is not something someone made up. It's real and people will have additional stress in their job of presenting art, some will be angry, innocent bystanders such as dancers who are hoping for continued employment may be affected while others may not be as angry and just figure the wokelings and the 'antiracists' are begging for ridicule or to be ignored whenever possible.  Of course some people may find giving the apology is no big deal and if that's the case that's their affair as far as I'm concerned. But even that wouldn't mean there aren't more problems coming that, just maybe, could be the work of liberals getting angry about things they have made up.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Diogenes on December 29, 2020, 09:03:20 AM
I follow a great facebook group called "Conservatives getting angry over things they made up themselves." I find it fitting here.

Would this be like people on the left getting angry over other people not using the pronouns that they made up themselves?
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 29, 2020, 04:03:10 PM

Would this be like people on the left getting angry over other people not using the pronouns that they made up themselves?

And reinventing rules of spelling with no one's permission. The letter 'x' is not a vowel. (Womxn, Latinx)
I see less of people getting angry over these attempts to mainstream terms like you describe. More often it seems to be an intentional social splintering that seems to be enjoyed. At the same time, the glaring insult to any white person named Karen is, I have to assume, considered a manageable cost for the outcome of treating everyone with respect. (!)
It's ironic -- a colleague at work is a Black woman named Karen with whom I have pleasant conversations from time to time, while maybe not yet a close friend. Wonder what she thinks of it.
This should be obvious: not all Black Americans are enthusiastic about campus wide antiracism incentives on steroids. Some feel that they and their neighbors are doing OK and don't need it. Just as the term 'Latinx' often gets a lukewarm reception among the people to whom it refers.

Diogenes

If you are mad about those made-up words, wait until I tell you about all other words!

marshwiggle

Quote from: Diogenes on December 30, 2020, 09:52:01 AM

If you are mad about those made-up words, wait until I tell you about all other words!

It's the people who made up the words, and their "allies", who are mad about other people not using them.
It takes so little to be above average.

Descartes

We had an entire thread over at the last fora for people to post "police brutality," in quotes because half of what got posted wasn't brutality by anyone's definition ("Man is detained and ID'd returning home after buying tacos when he was mistaken for a criminal suspect" type stories.)

Everyone then commented and generally got themselves and others worked up over stories that may or may not have been current, didn't involve them or anyone they knew personally, and often appeared to leave gaping holes with regards to details.

That was one of the more popular threads over there, going for years and years.

Now you're telling Mahogany he can't have his fun?

mamselle

The issue, which several here want to put their hands over their ears and sing "la-la-la" about, is that this:

Quote("Man is detained and ID'd returning home after buying tacos when he was mistaken for a criminal suspect" type stories.)

is so much more statistically , factually, nationally likely to happen to a male person of color than any other category.

And it's those stats that lead to the next batch, which ARE brutal, lethal, and ignonimous.

It's not just the appearance of a slippery slope: the fire hydrants of the country are hosing down the clay and giving the victims a shove over the cliff.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.