Main Menu

2024 Elections

Started by writingprof, January 19, 2021, 12:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 29, 2021, 05:15:49 PM
Quote from: dismalist on January 29, 2021, 04:28:28 PM
Quote from: larryc on January 29, 2021, 12:18:09 AM
The 2024 race will be Kamala Harris versus Tucker Carlson. You read it here first.

I fear that Tucker may win.

I would certainly hope so. Think of the sheer entertainment value. :-)

I hope he runs and stays in the race long enough to revive Randy Rainbow's flagging career (in 2023) then things get boring again.

Good point! His videos are hilarious.

mahagonny

Candace Owens has announced she is considering running for president. And will be just barely old enough.

writingprof

Quote from: mahagonny on January 29, 2021, 05:08:04 AM
The 2024 race will be Kamala Harris versus Tucker Carlson. You read it here first.

Very interesting. Two extremes. And I take it from this you expect Joe Biden to have no success bringing us together. Would that mean he's not smart or deft enough or that he won't be trying? And there will be no real conversations in the next four years between the two parties, just fencing.
Loury and McWhorter on how the two sides cannot talk to each other: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tP2MTZJnP8

Biden will be dead, obviously. But, no, he will have no success "bringing us together," unless you count bringing us together in the awareness that he looks increasingly like the Cryptkeeper.

https://tftc.fandom.com/wiki/The_CryptKeeper

"Bringing us together" is a marketing slogan, not a political strategy. Biden knows this, which is why he's signing fifty culture-war executive orders a day.

Edited to say: Who the frack is Candace Owens?

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: writingprof on February 08, 2021, 04:55:07 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on January 29, 2021, 05:08:04 AM

Very interesting. Two extremes. And I take it from this you expect Joe Biden to have no success bringing us together. Would that mean he's not smart or deft enough or that he won't be trying? And there will be no real conversations in the next four years between the two parties, just fencing.
Loury and McWhorter on how the two sides cannot talk to each other: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tP2MTZJnP8

Biden will be dead, obviously. But, no, he will have no success "bringing us together," unless you count bringing us together in the awareness that he looks increasingly like the Cryptkeeper.

https://tftc.fandom.com/wiki/The_CryptKeeper

"Bringing us together" is a marketing slogan, not a political strategy. Biden knows this, which is why he's signing fifty culture-war executive orders a day.

Shock jock

dismalist

Quote"Bringing us together" is a marketing slogan, not a political strategy.

Absolutely. I don't want to be brought together with lots and lots of people.

Sounds nice, as though we were a small band, or perhaps a church. We are not.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on February 08, 2021, 05:21:35 PM
Quote"Bringing us together" is a marketing slogan, not a political strategy.

Absolutely. I don't want to be brought together with lots and lots of people.

Sounds nice, as though we were a small band, or perhaps a church. We are not.

I bet Abraham Lincoln would have something to say about this blanket statement. If you think Biden simply says things out of tactics and calculation, I wouldn't doubt it's largely true. There are some who speculate that Trump's policies without Trump's bluster and rudeness should make a decent republican platform. Meaning I guess you don't intentionally sow division. Call me naive but I think Mitt Romney or Joe Lieberman could have been something like that kind of leader.
Biden is dying? Remember what they said about Dick Cheney with his bad heart? He served eight years.

mahagonny

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 08, 2021, 05:03:51 PM
day.

Shock jock
[/quote]

What does she say that's shocking? I think it's more shocking to say things like 'looting is no big deal' 'silence is violence' or 'all lives matter demeans people' but my impressions are probably obsolete.

or "We're literally hunted EVERYDAY/EVERYTIME we step foot outside the comfort of our homes!" - LeBron James

It is shocking when someone refutes what the mob says that used to be shocking, before the hysteria.

financeguy

The only thing that bothers me about Candace Owens is that she has been critiqued for having a white husband. This just doesn't stop. Same when Robert Smith agreed to pay the student debt of an entire Morehouse College class. But wait, he ain't really black though, he got him a white wife! The proposed boycotting of Michael B. Jordan's films are yet another example. If whites are going to be critiqued at every step with fake accusations of racism for non-issues, going after someone from your own group for a relationship with a white person has got to go. I don't think making this a social taboo in the age where almost everything without merit becomes one is too much to ask.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mahagonny on February 09, 2021, 12:59:14 AM

Quote from: mahagonny on February 09, 2021, 12:59:14 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 08, 2021, 05:03:51 PM
day.

Shock jock

What does she say that's shocking? I think it's more shocking to say things like 'looting is no big deal' 'silence is violence' or 'all lives matter demeans people' but my impressions are probably obsolete.

or "We're literally hunted EVERYDAY/EVERYTIME we step foot outside the comfort of our homes!" - LeBron James

It is shocking when someone refutes what the mob says that used to be shocking, before the hysteria.

Her whole schtick is to say outrageous things to get reactions and fame, and like many of the MAGA d-leaguers she is not an expert in anything other than being provocative on social media.

Her bio is hilarious btw: After dropping out of college she started her career in "journalism" writing editorials about how crazy Trump and the Republicans are. Then she started a cancel website, where people could upload screenshots of offensive content, which could then be used to get people fired and ruin their lives. Progressives criticized her for encouraging cancel culture (ironic, I know), which got her in the good graces of the most fringe right winger trolls (i.e. Milo Yiannopoulos) and so she decided to become a right wing lunatic herself!

What a principled conservative she is! Maybe by pretending to run for president she can get a book deal or an evening show on Fox.

mahagonny

America has a good supply of experts and also people without guts. Sometimes a person is not as much an expert but  more a person who is enough above average in energy and astuteness to be interesting and also fills a void by pointing out the obvious. Should she run for president? I didn't say she should. I just posted that she's making noise about it.

Owens:

People are making George Floyd a hero and it's dumb. We all agree Derek Chauvin gets tried, but there's no cause for hysteria.
BLM is founded on myths and misinformation.
Cardi B is an embarrassment to Biden, black America.
Certain black people, with the help of liberal whites who are looking for some kind of exoneration from America's more distant past, have been taking the dregs of the black population and holding them up as role models, significant artists, thinkers, etc. something no other demographic does to that extent.
Urban black America has a horrible problem with absentee fathers and disintegrated families or families that never even started.
'The system' is not against people of color.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mahagonny on February 10, 2021, 05:41:49 AM
Owens:

Cardi B is an embarrassment to Biden

Lol at this.

What a courageous truth teller she is! Definitely not a troll and partisan hack.

mahagonny

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 10, 2021, 06:52:24 AM
Owens:

Lol at this.

What a courageous truth teller she is! Definitely not a troll and partisan hack.

Actually the message was a little more complex than just that. It was more that Biden is using Cardi B to get black votes and doesn't respect her or the voters he wins thereby, which, I can't imagine why he would. Troll, sure. So?

Edit: As someone who teaches in a school that thinks it's OK to have the diversity staff send official sounding communications to all faculty in which they assert the right to require us to be part of their left political agenda ('anti-racism' 'the work ahead that we all must do' 'difficult conversations for white people' 'confronting white supremacy' etc.) I guess my tolerance for right wing trolls has gone up a bit.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 10, 2021, 06:52:24 AM
Owens:

Lol at this.

My experience with all kinds of people is that they may be very good at pointing out the flaws and incosistencies from the other side, but much more defensive about the problems on their own side. It correlates highly (in my experience) with how partisan they are. The best analyses come from people who say things like "I would have described myself as [X], but.." because the "side" they would have previously considered themselves part of do things which they can't support, while they obviously are similarly opposed to the offenses on the "other" side.

An example would be Christina Hoff Summers, who describes herself as the "Factual Feminist"; while she would refer to herself as a feminist, she challenges arguments made by feminists which are not evidence-based.
It takes so little to be above average.

writingprof

Cardi B is an embarrassment to Biden, black America.

Who the frack is Cardi B? I clearly need to come down from my ivory tower more often.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 10, 2021, 07:18:39 AM

My experience with all kinds of people is that they may be very good at pointing out the flaws and incosistencies from the other side, but much more defensive about the problems on their own side. It correlates highly (in my experience) with how partisan they are. The best analyses come from people who say things like "I would have described myself as [X], but.." because the "side" they would have previously considered themselves part of do things which they can't support, while they obviously are similarly opposed to the offenses on the "other" side.

An example would be Christina Hoff Summers, who describes herself as the "Factual Feminist"; while she would refer to herself as a feminist, she challenges arguments made by feminists which are not evidence-based.

This is an instance of a rhetorical technique known as 'assuring'. It can be effective, yes, but it also has pretty obvious limits. If I began a sentence here with "As a conservative...", for example, you'd rightly laugh in my face. But, on the less ridiculous side of things, people's self-image often diverges pretty sharply from the reality, even if they're being perfectly sincere.

I have no reason to believe that CHS is being insincere when she describes herself as 'feminist'. But given her views, it's hard to see exactly where the feminism comes in. Likewise, a number of conservative columnists like to go around calling themselves "liberal" when, in fact, they're anything but. Not unlike the neo-Nazis who like to pretend they're Reasonable People Just Asking Questions, really.
I know it's a genus.