News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Republican voting results

Started by marshwiggle, February 16, 2021, 07:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

This poll focusing on 10 key states was mentioned in an article I read and it has facinating results. Some highlights:

• Racially, Trump suffered his greatest erosion with White voters, particularly White Men
    in both state groups. However, he made double digit gains with Hispanics in both
    groups, while his performance among Blacks was virtually the same as 2016.
  • While a majority of voters said they didn't find either Presidential candidate
    honest or trustworthy
    , Biden held a double-digit advantage over Trump,
    especially in the "Flipped" states.
  • Pence's image is in positive territory in both state groupings, especially the states that were held. On the other hand, Harris is underwater in the Flipped and Held groups
  • A large majority of voters in November's election also said they voted in 2016, while about 1-in-6 did not. Trump narrowly won those who had voted in 2016 in the Flipped states, and won them in the Held states by 8.Biden won those who didn't vote in 2016 in both groups, by a larger margin in the Flipped states
  • Coronavirus was the most important issue followed by the economy. Significant falloff after those two big issues. While Trump dominated among voters focused on the economy, Biden won Coronavirus voters, which was a bigger share of the electorate, especially
    in the Flipped states

What's most interesting to me is that the emphasis on "Trump's base" is overblown. (The fact that both candidates had a large portion of people who voted for them who didn't trust them indicates how many voters don't make knee-jerk partisan choices, despite what media might suggest.) One other point was that 1 in 10 voters only made their choice during the last month of the campaign. Hardly a slam dunk for ideologues of either side.

It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

I don't know if I can wrap my brain around this. But I can tell you this: there is more fear in the mind of the voter than ever before. Thus, I am reminded of the adage, 'just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.' Just because Trump is the way he is does not mean you don't have to worry about educators who want to change your child's gender without telling you or teach him to believe white people are the race of enslaving others.

dismalist

QuoteWhat's most interesting to me is that the emphasis on "Trump's base" is overblown.

That's why I mentioned on another thread that 74 million people voted for Trump. They can't all be his base; they can't all want to overthrow the government; and they can't all be right wingers. And they are not going away.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on February 16, 2021, 12:17:53 PM
QuoteWhat's most interesting to me is that the emphasis on "Trump's base" is overblown.

That's why I mentioned on another thread that 74 million people voted for Trump. They can't all be his base; they can't all want to overthrow the government; and they can't all be right wingers. And they are not going away.

They aren't all emulating his personal qualities, either. The most obnoxious Trump supporter you've ever met is probably barely a pale imitation. If a party can run against Trump and lose 74 million votes, then that party is unpopular.