News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cake, Pie, and Related Questions

Started by mamselle, February 16, 2021, 12:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vkw10

Quote from: mamselle on February 19, 2021, 02:01:33 PM
Apologies for the double-post, but just saw this recipe for biscuit peach cobbler:

https://buythiscookthat.com/biscuit-peach-cobbler/

The title says it's a "real Southern thing," but...is that true?

And if so, or if not, how or why?

Inquiring minds want to know!

M.

My mother's Georgia family did the "cup cup cup" peach cobbler also mentioned, cooked in a metal dishpan or long Pyrex dish. Grandma used the dishpan; she had nine children so the dishpan was practical for family events. My father's North Carolina family preferred apple cobbler to peach; the apple cobbler was cooked in skillet with a sweet biscuit dough rolled out and cut in pretty shapes. Grandmother believed that food should be neat and pretty; she deplored rustic presentations.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

Southern enough for me! (I was born in NC, in fact...)

The biscuit crust interested me, in particular: how did that become the standard, rather than pie crust?

Or is there just not that much difference between them?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

Quote from: mamselle on February 19, 2021, 06:41:08 PM
Southern enough for me! (I was born in NC, in fact...)

The biscuit crust interested me, in particular: how did that become the standard, rather than pie crust?

Or is there just not that much difference between them?

M.

I wouldn't say that biscuit crust was the standard, because we ate pies as well as cobblers growing up. Pie tended to be reserved for special occasions, because it took longer to make pie crust (chilling time, rolling thin, fluting edges). A pie didn't serve as many as a cobbler, so you had to make two or three pies if you had a crowd. Cobbler was quicker, since the crust was thicker and didn't require chilling. Cobbler was usually made in a bigger pan, too. We made cobbler when someone bought a bushel of apples or box of peaches at a roadside stand by the orchard, but we might buy fruit at the grocery store for a pie. In my family, cobbler was often less sweet than pie, depending on how much sugar was on hand.

Liquidambar

Biscuit crust is great.  Cobblers taste better than pies, IMHO, and are easier to make.  However, the recipe mamselle linked doesn't have cinnamon sugar on top.  I sprinkle cinnamon sugar on all my cobblers before baking.  It's the best part.  (I do that with muffins too.  Are we allowed to mention muffins in this thread?)
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Charlotte

Quote from: Liquidambar on February 19, 2021, 08:31:49 PM
Biscuit crust is great.  Cobblers taste better than pies, IMHO, and are easier to make.  However, the recipe mamselle linked doesn't have cinnamon sugar on top.  I sprinkle cinnamon sugar on all my cobblers before baking.  It's the best part.  (I do that with muffins too.  Are we allowed to mention muffins in this thread?)

I see a need for a baking thread in the future...

Morden

Interesting cobbler subthread. I've always assembled by cobblers by melting butter in baking dish, then adding dough, and then the cooked peaches. During the baking the dough rises up over the peaches, but is flavoured by the peach syrup. I will have to try the other way too.

Cheerful

(I do that with muffins too.  Are we allowed to mention muffins in this thread?)

Only if the muffins are not dry and powdery, please.  : )

mamselle

Ecumenicity allows for a very large umbrella.

Baking is inherent in this discussion.

So are muffins!

"Related questions" can be quite generously defined...

;--》

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Cheerful on February 21, 2021, 09:19:02 AM
(I do that with muffins too.  Are we allowed to mention muffins in this thread?)

Only if the muffins are not dry and powdery, please.  : )

Ew. Who likes dry muffins? Betty White had something to say about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_tVJ2rHHSA

onehappyunicorn

Citrus zest added in the cobbler dough is really nice for some of the richer fruits.

mamselle

Oooh, that's like a very cool pro tip!

Ranks up there with putting cinnamon in cocoa and in beef stew....

Drool..

M. 

Vkw10

Lunch today was a slice of thin crust pizza, a scoop of leftover shepherds pie, and a slice of cherry pie, leading to a debate over whether it would be correct to say that we had three kinds of pie for lunch. I argued that we did. Partner opined that shepherd's pie is a casserole, not a pie. Nephew suggested that pizza is closer to sandwich than pie, as it is topped, not filled.

BTW, I'm thinking of crab cakes, flourless chocolate cake, and something else cake-y when Nephew visits next month, to provoke another debate. I'm not having much luck coming up with something that includes fruit or vegetables, though.

mamselle

Fruit tart?

;-}

ETA: Or, this one, which uses apples and citron as well; I just ran across it!

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/what-is-marlborough-pie

Marlborough pie...might have to try that, too....

M.

Charlotte

Speaking of shepherds pie...
When I was a child, we often had a pie that was filled with cabbage, ground beef, seasonings, and a layer of cream cheese. Is anyone familiar with the name for this recipe? My Google search terms are not coming up with much.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Vkw10 on February 21, 2021, 03:24:16 PM
Lunch today was a slice of thin crust pizza, a scoop of leftover shepherds pie, and a slice of cherry pie, leading to a debate over whether it would be correct to say that we had three kinds of pie for lunch. I argued that we did. Partner opined that shepherd's pie is a casserole, not a pie. Nephew suggested that pizza is closer to sandwich than pie, as it is topped, not filled.

BTW, I'm thinking of crab cakes, flourless chocolate cake, and something else cake-y when Nephew visits next month, to provoke another debate. I'm not having much luck coming up with something that includes fruit or vegetables, though.

Potato cakes? Corn cakes?

Quote from: Charlotte on February 21, 2021, 04:35:20 PM
Speaking of shepherds pie...
When I was a child, we often had a pie that was filled with cabbage, ground beef, seasonings, and a layer of cream cheese. Is anyone familiar with the name for this recipe? My Google search terms are not coming up with much.

Have not heard of that one. I've seen recipes where the cream cheese is mixed with the mashed potatoes for the topping, but not a layer of cream cheese on it's own. Was the cream cheese the top layer or was it under a layer of crust/potatoes?