News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cake, Pie, and Related Questions

Started by mamselle, February 16, 2021, 12:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

Quote from: Vkw10 on February 21, 2021, 03:24:16 PM
Lunch today was a slice of thin crust pizza, a scoop of leftover shepherds pie, and a slice of cherry pie, leading to a debate over whether it would be correct to say that we had three kinds of pie for lunch. I argued that we did. Partner opined that shepherd's pie is a casserole, not a pie. Nephew suggested that pizza is closer to sandwich than pie, as it is topped, not filled.

BTW, I'm thinking of crab cakes, flourless chocolate cake, and something else cake-y when Nephew visits next month, to provoke another debate. I'm not having much luck coming up with something that includes fruit or vegetables, though.

Carrot cake counts as a vegetable right??

In the Beforetimes I had friends over for an all pie potluck dinner that included various quiches followed by various fruit pies. Pot pies would definitely also have counted but no one made any.

There is (or at least was) a tiny shop in Seattle just called Pie, which just sold pie-- savory pies and sweet pies, in personal sizes so you could have one of each for your meal.

Now I really want pie. I do have green tomato mincemeat pie filling I canned this fall (I picked about 20 lbs of green tomatoes the night before the first frost), so maybe I will make one soon.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

These guys have good homemade-on-the-site pies...can't get there now...sigh!

https://petsipies.com/

Mincemeat sounds very good! With what do you flavor it?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

Quote from: mamselle on February 21, 2021, 08:45:49 PM
These guys have good homemade-on-the-site pies...can't get there now...sigh!

https://petsipies.com/

Mincemeat sounds very good! With what do you flavor it?

M.

There is no actual meat involved-- it is a mix of green tomatoes, apples, raisons, and spices. An old fashioned recipe for using up green tomatos at the end of the season, but quite good.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Charlotte

Quote from: OneMoreYear on February 21, 2021, 05:35:38 PM

Quote from: Charlotte on February 21, 2021, 04:35:20 PM
Speaking of shepherds pie...
When I was a child, we often had a pie that was filled with cabbage, ground beef, seasonings, and a layer of cream cheese. Is anyone familiar with the name for this recipe? My Google search terms are not coming up with much.

Have not heard of that one. I've seen recipes where the cream cheese is mixed with the mashed potatoes for the topping, but not a layer of cream cheese on it's own. Was the cream cheese the top layer or was it under a layer of crust/potatoes?

We would fill the pie with the cabbage mixture, top it with a layer of cream cheese, and then put a top layer of crust. Delicious. The pie crust would have a yummy bit of cheese on it with some melting into the cabbage mixture as well. It was a very warming, comfort type meal. But I've not seen it since I was a child and I'm not sure if it was a recipe invented by my mother or if it has a name.

ergative

Quote from: Charlotte on February 22, 2021, 06:25:56 AM
Quote from: OneMoreYear on February 21, 2021, 05:35:38 PM

Quote from: Charlotte on February 21, 2021, 04:35:20 PM
Speaking of shepherds pie...
When I was a child, we often had a pie that was filled with cabbage, ground beef, seasonings, and a layer of cream cheese. Is anyone familiar with the name for this recipe? My Google search terms are not coming up with much.

Have not heard of that one. I've seen recipes where the cream cheese is mixed with the mashed potatoes for the topping, but not a layer of cream cheese on it's own. Was the cream cheese the top layer or was it under a layer of crust/potatoes?

We would fill the pie with the cabbage mixture, top it with a layer of cream cheese, and then put a top layer of crust. Delicious. The pie crust would have a yummy bit of cheese on it with some melting into the cabbage mixture as well. It was a very warming, comfort type meal. But I've not seen it since I was a child and I'm not sure if it was a recipe invented by my mother or if it has a name.

I have a vegetarian cookbook from the 70s or so (falling apart), which has a wonderful recipe for a Russian Vegetable pie, which sounds similar to what you describe. The pie crust has cream cheese in it, which makes it so soft and pliable and tangy and delicious (I should use it for other pies, it occurs to me!), and then there's a layer of cream cheese on the bottom crust, then sliced hard-boiled eggs, then sauteed cabbage + onion, then a top crust. It's really best if it's allowed to set after baking (otherwise the layers all collapse when you slice it), but it's wonderful the next day, and very good cold too.

mamselle

I was going to say either Irish or Eastern European, with the cabbage...so Russian makes sense, too...

Everything spicy is better after a night in the refrigerator, the spices distribute better in the cold....

Sounds yummy!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.