Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Math Teacher Stands Up To "Antiracism"

Started by mahagonny, April 14, 2021, 06:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 14, 2021, 08:25:49 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 14, 2021, 07:37:38 AM
Anyone who gives any shits about free speech knows that Bari Weiss is a blithering idiot who's spent her entire adult life trying to get people fired for their extramural free speech. She also has a terrible record when it comes to distorting the truth, and what people who disagree with her say.

As for the essay... there's a lot of telling and not much showing, virtually no context, no evidence, it's full of lopsided descriptions I wouldn't trust, it throws the word 'philosophy' around an awful lot (and inappropriately), and this "mathematics teacher" apparently teaches "the art of persuasion".

Given those givens, I would not trust the claims being made. I'd leave them out to cure in a barrel of salt for a while first.

If it is legit, he'll be fired within a week or two. Whether that happens will definitively support or refute the claims.

Not "fired" yet, but told to stay home:

Elite NYC private school tells whistleblowing teacher to stay home

Are any of those claims worthy of trust yet?
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 21, 2021, 06:58:54 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on April 14, 2021, 08:25:49 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 14, 2021, 07:37:38 AM
Anyone who gives any shits about free speech knows that Bari Weiss is a blithering idiot who's spent her entire adult life trying to get people fired for their extramural free speech. She also has a terrible record when it comes to distorting the truth, and what people who disagree with her say.

As for the essay... there's a lot of telling and not much showing, virtually no context, no evidence, it's full of lopsided descriptions I wouldn't trust, it throws the word 'philosophy' around an awful lot (and inappropriately), and this "mathematics teacher" apparently teaches "the art of persuasion".

Given those givens, I would not trust the claims being made. I'd leave them out to cure in a barrel of salt for a while first.

If it is legit, he'll be fired within a week or two. Whether that happens will definitively support or refute the claims.

Not "fired" yet, but told to stay home:

Elite NYC private school tells whistleblowing teacher to stay home

Are any of those claims worthy of trust yet?

No, because that's not quite how evidence works, is it? Applying the principle you articulated above--which, as you observe yourself, has not yet been satisfied anyway--then if this guy was fired for embezzlement, for instance, or for refusing to comply with school policy, that would somehow confirm the truth of his story in all its elements.

I'll wait for more information, thanks. In the meantime, his inflammatory comments don't do much to get me onside.
I know it's a genus.