News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Police Reform?

Started by mahagonny, June 21, 2021, 07:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: permanent imposter on July 02, 2021, 07:44:27 AM
Thank you for the info about plea bargains, Parasaurolophus. I see them used all the time in TV shows and I never thought about them in this way. I don't know anything about Floyd's prior crimes but if he was indeed coerced into a plea, that was time he spent in incarceration that he could've used to get help in a more humane environment.

The trouble is that plea bargains are by their nature coercive. John H. Langbein has a classic (and fantastic) article on the subject from way back in 1978. You can access it for free here. Things have only gotten worse since then.
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 02, 2021, 10:25:21 AM
Quote from: permanent imposter on July 02, 2021, 07:44:27 AM
Thank you for the info about plea bargains, Parasaurolophus. I see them used all the time in TV shows and I never thought about them in this way. I don't know anything about Floyd's prior crimes but if he was indeed coerced into a plea, that was time he spent in incarceration that he could've used to get help in a more humane environment.

The trouble is that plea bargains are by their nature coercive. John H. Langbein has a classic (and fantastic) article on the subject from way back in 1978. You can access it for free here. Things have only gotten worse since then.

I also find Parasail's posts interesting and informative although out outlooks are frequently different. I find it interesting  too that you hadn't heard about Floyd's prior crimes. They were numerous. I bet you've seen photos of him as the family man. He lived in Minneapolis, while they were in Texas or somewhere, five of them. It's the liberal media narrative. A black man has to be Bill Cosby to not be a good guy.