News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Best Candy

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, October 12, 2021, 06:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

This thread is the opposite of the 'Worst Candy' thread. I figured we needed one since Halloween and Samhain are coming up!

What's the best candy?

mamselle

Anything with dark chocolate.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

Is fudge candy?

My preferences are mostly in the M&M Mars company... Milky Way, M&Ms, Twix are best.

I also like Heath Bars.  Zero bars are also good. 

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: clean on October 12, 2021, 06:53:01 PM
Is fudge candy?

My preferences are mostly in the M&M Mars company... Milky Way, M&Ms, Twix are best.

I wouldn't count dfudge. Or chocolate bars, American terminology notwithstanding.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on October 12, 2021, 06:53:01 PM
Is fudge candy?

I'd consider it to be a candy. Do you mean the kind of fudge you'd get at the beach, when on vacation with the folks? That was the best.

Parasaurolophus

For me it's Smartied (the commonwealth kind,  not what goes by that name in the States) and chocolate easter eggs (the cheap kind in snowflake foil wrap, not the fancy kind).
I know it's a genus.

Liquidambar

Quote from: mamselle on October 12, 2021, 06:51:53 PM
Anything with dark chocolate.

M.

Indeed.  In the good-but-not-super-high-end category, one of my favorites is Ritter Sport dark chocolate with marzipan.  I have an emergency bar I'm saving for a bad day.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

mamselle

Yes. Ritter counts in my book. I like the one that is chock-a-block solid with hazelnuts, as well as the marzipan.

Also any other marzipan if the almond/sweet balance is right.

If we're talking brands, Godiva, Lindt, and Ghirardelli dark chocolates are good.

Hersey and Dove have too much paraffin in them.

Cote d'Or dark chocolates are good, too....and there are a bunch of other brands I've gotten outre-mer whose names I don't recall but whose tastes I most definitely do.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

cascade

For Halloween in particular (an inexpensive bulk purchase):

I like those "100 Grand" bars.

Snickers, Milky Way, and Twix are classics.

Butterfingers stick to your teeth but I still love them.

Also little caramels.

I guess that didn't narrow it down too much.

sinenomine

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

onthefringe

I have what my family feels are absurdly high standards for candy. At the hershey's level really the only things I'll consistently eat are twix and mounds. But I'm totally fine with a lot of mid-level dark chocolates that mamselle and others mentioned, with a particular liking for the ritter marzipan, and a current obsession with ghirardelli salted caramel (the one with actual chunks of salt). World market irregularly carries a dark chocolate mint kit kat that I like (might be made for the asian market?) Trader Joes is a good source of affordable candy that I'll eat.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: onthefringe on October 13, 2021, 04:05:57 AM
I have what my family feels are absurdly high standards for candy. At the hershey's level really the only things I'll consistently eat are twix and mounds. But I'm totally fine with a lot of mid-level dark chocolates that mamselle and others mentioned, with a particular liking for the ritter marzipan, and a current obsession with ghirardelli salted caramel (the one with actual chunks of salt). World market irregularly carries a dark chocolate mint kit kat that I like (might be made for the asian market?) Trader Joes is a good source of affordable candy that I'll eat.

Those dark chocolate mint Kit Kats are good.

Harlow2

Trader Joe's jelly beans are pretty good.

apl68

All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on October 13, 2021, 06:17:33 AM
Peanut butter cups.

Ooohh, dark chocolate PB cups (at TJoe's).....swoon.

Sadly, can't do the PB anymore.

Hence no more Buckeyes* when visiting Ohio, anymore, either.

Comme disait Merce,《le grand sigh》...

M.

*the equivalent: PB fudge sphere dipped 3/4 in dark chocolate with the "eye" showing.