News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

too many subscriptions

Started by pgher, December 05, 2021, 10:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgher

I was looking back over my finances, and realize that I have too many subscriptions. I'm going to thin them out. I need some advice on them, though. For news, I subscribe to:

• The local newspaper, which my wife reads
  • Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, so I can get news about my hometown sports teams
  • Washington Post, primarily for a couple of columnists (Eugene Robinson, Kathleen Parker)
  • New York Times, primarily for a couple of columnists (David Brooks, Paul Krugman)
For both the Post and the Times, I read other columnists, too, and sometimes general news, but keep the two different services for these particular columnists.

It's too much. I'm thinking that I can get sports news elsewhere for free. I can get general news from Reuters for free. I haven't found a good place to get any of these columnists, though. What would you do?

Parasaurolophus

Probably your institutional or local library has a subscription to the NYT and the WaPo, so you can get your dose of columnists that way.

The only one I'd keep (/have kept) is the local paper subscription, because they need it. (Plus, it's fun--it's a small-town paper.)
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Are these "paper newspapers delivered to the door" or online subscriptions?

Wouldn't the ones you can pay for online (NYT, WaPo, PPG) be cheaper on those grounds, alone?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

NYT has a very deep educational discount-- you just need to sign up with a .edu email address. I think I pay only $7.50/month for online access. Most also have a few free articles per month. I would think about continuing to support your local paper, because local news is important and local papers are struggling.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

pgher

Quote from: mamselle on December 05, 2021, 11:34:41 AM

Wouldn't the ones you can pay for online (NYT, WaPo, PPG) be cheaper on those grounds, alone?

M.

Only the local one is physical. So yes, the others aren't terribly expensive, each, but it adds up.

I'll have to check out the library on campus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: pgher on December 05, 2021, 11:57:57 AM
Quote from: mamselle on December 05, 2021, 11:34:41 AM

M.

Only the local one is physical. So yes, the others aren't terribly expensive, each, but it adds up.

I'll have to check out the library on campus.

FWIW, my university library gives us online access to newspapers, as long as we go through the library portal.
I know it's a genus.

Hibush

Quote from: Puget on December 05, 2021, 11:53:12 AM
NYT has a very deep educational discount-- you just need to sign up with a .edu email address. I think I pay only $7.50/month for online access. Most also have a few free articles per month.

WaPo as well, $5 per month.

Some schools have linked up with WSJ as well. Do a search to see.  Mine does, and it is free to me.

dismalist

Quote from: Hibush on December 05, 2021, 02:55:18 PM
NYT has a very deep educational discount-- you just need to sign up with a .edu email address. I think I pay only $7.50/month for online access. Most also have a few free articles per month.

Some schools have linked up with WSJ as well. Do a search to see.  Mine does, and it is free to me.

Ooooh, whoopee! I just got WSJ at a price of zero. That's what it's worth to me. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

dismalist

Quote from: dismalist on December 05, 2021, 03:20:25 PM

Ooooh, whoopee! I just got WSJ at a price of zero. That's what it's worth to me. :-)

And, presumably because I subscribed through a university, I was asked to answer their future surveys, on account I'm an Opinion Leader! Have I always wanted to be a Führer? No. So I declined.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

hmaria1609

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 05, 2021, 11:29:09 AM
Probably your institutional or local library has a subscription to the NYT and the WaPo, so you can get your dose of columnists that way.

The only one I'd keep (/have kept) is the local paper subscription, because they need it. (Plus, it's fun--it's a small-town paper.)
Chime on this one.  Both the NYT and Wash. Post offer free digital passes to non-subscribers. It's a new service they launched for library patrons over the summer. The NYT is for 24 hour access; the Post is for 7 days.
I appreciate reading the Wash. Post without firewalls while at the library.

Pgher, I also recommend using your library (academic or public) for access.

darkstarrynight

I am able to access the local paper and nearby bigger city papers through the local city library digitally.

Hibush

Quote from: dismalist on December 05, 2021, 03:20:25 PM

Good to get a precise situational cost-benefit analysis.

apl68

I've got to make some decisions soon about cutting some subscriptions from our library's subscription list.  We have a couple of items that make up a ridiculous proportion of our total bill.  Unfortunately they are items that I use a lot (For work).  I've got to see whether there's a way to ditch our institutional subscriptions and get less expensive individual subs.  I understand the idea behind charging higher rates for institutions, but those institutional rates make little sense for tiny institutions like ours.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.