News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Just stunning

Started by jimbogumbo, May 10, 2022, 11:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

I wish this was surprising. Some things never change.
And if any of our conservative foramites wants to come post that this had nothing to do with race, please don't embarrass yourself with blatant BS.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

dismalist

Speaking with Hayek, I am not a conservative!

That story has everything to do with race, but it''s no proof of racism [which is  state of mind]. Rather, it's evidence of statistical discrimination.

Drug use among blacks is about one third greater than among whites. So, if a cop frisks more blacks than whites his chance of a hit are higher. The odds are more strongly against blacks for some drugs and less strongly for other drugs.

The major source of the problem is the so-called War on Drugs, which gives incentives to the police to do this stuff.

Therefore, legalize. Tax and regulate; regulate and tax.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Respectfully, I didn't specify. To me it is clearly wrong no matter the label, and I'm sure it was disheartening to the students. I'm sure if they knew who Roaseann Roseannadanna was they would quote her though.

FWIW I've been railing against the war on drugs for decades as a stupid way to use resources.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on May 10, 2022, 01:52:42 PM
Respectfully, I didn't specify. To me it is clearly wrong no matter the label, and I'm sure it was disheartening to the students. I'm sure if they knew who Roaseann Roseannadanna was they would quote her though.

FWIW I've been railing against the war on drugs for decades as a stupid way to use resources.

Never said you specified, jimbo.

You say of the police behavior that it's clearly wrong. That alone gets us nowhere. We have to ask why the police behavior is the way it is. If we know the incentives facing people we have a chance to correct something we don't like. If we give an unexplained residual a name, we get nothing or worse. [I know you haven't done that.]
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

marshwiggle

Quote from: dismalist on May 10, 2022, 02:01:07 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on May 10, 2022, 01:52:42 PM

Never said you specified, jimbo.

You say of the police behavior that it's clearly wrong. That alone gets us nowhere. We have to ask why the police behavior is the way it is. If we know the incentives facing people we have a chance to correct something we don't like. If we give an unexplained residual a name, we get nothing or worse. [I know you haven't done that.]

I noticed the article didn't give any indication of whether team buses from out of state are routinely stopped in Georgia, or for that matter if visiting teams get searched for drugs, etc. in their accommodations. In other words, how unusual was this behavior?
It takes so little to be above average.

nebo113

Racist white jack booted dudes with badges lusting after black women while hiding behind their shields.  Gotta love those white dudes posturing in front of black women.

And do tell me, someone, about the stats on drug use on team bus of black FEMALE athletes.

White steroidal thugs.....

And yeah....I've had a glass of wine and am pretty peeved with the state of the universe....

jimbogumbo

dismalist: if I had an answer as to how to stop it other than better training I'd make it so.

marshwiggle: I don't know any stats. However, I do know if I did I couldn't use them in a hs stat book in Florida.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on May 10, 2022, 05:04:32 PM
dismalist: if I had an answer as to how to stop it other than better training I'd make it so.

marshwiggle: I don't know any stats. However, I do know if I did I couldn't use them in a hs stat book in Florida.

Step One, jimbo, and I think we agree: Stop the War on Drugs!

Step Two: Legalize, regulate and tax. Tax and regulate.

As for anything in Florida or anywhere else: Voucherize, voucherize, voucherize!

No worries. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ciao_yall

Probable cause, anyone? Sounds like illegal stop and search.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on May 10, 2022, 05:07:32 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on May 10, 2022, 05:04:32 PM

Step One, jimbo, and I think we agree: Stop the War on Drugs!

Step Two: Legalize, regulate and tax. Tax and regulate.

As for anything in Florida or anywhere else: Voucherize, voucherize, voucherize!

No worries. :-)

I'm good with Steps One and Two.

kaysixteen

It seems, though I be not a lawyer, that the cops would have had no legit cause to search any passengers on a bus, just because they pulled the bus over for a moving violation (and note, btw, that they did not end up even ticketing the driver, which adds more fuel to the suggestion that the stop itself was mere pretext)?