News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

So My Daughter is Getting Married . . .

Started by geoteo, July 08, 2019, 01:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoteo

Next week!

It's not really that much of a surprise--they've been together for several years, and she's almost 40--but there is a certain amount of stress.  There will be a courthouse ceremony in the morning, followed by a picnic reception in our backyard in the afternoon.  Son-in-law is doing London broil and salmon on the grill, daughter has asked for German potato salad and tabbouleh, and of course there will be cake.  That doesn't sound like enough to fill up about 20 people.  What else should be on the menu?  Any suggestions about things that probably haven't crossed my mind?

spork

Big bowls of fruit salad from the local supermarket?
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

backatit

Do a cheese plate, maybe, and a bowl of fruit, as Spork suggestion. Some sort of veg? Maybe a roast potato or casserole to go with the london broil?

clean

Watermelon
corn on the cob (grilled, if there is room)

Ice cream for the cake?

Chips (pita if you prefer), salsa and perhaps guacamole Will you toast them?  Is it ok to toast with plastic flutes ?  Is there a 'party central' sort of place nearby for plates, or table covers and napkins and such?

Will there be children in attendance?  (perhaps hot dogs and plenty of grape soda for them as they may not prefer salmon or brisket).

Congratulations to all concerned! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

What a cheerful day!

Do you have a couple of good fresh breads, like French sourdough or scali, or whole wheat-n-rye, that you can butter and toast on the grill?

Maybe mini cupcakes for the little kids?

Otherwise, sounds very good....just tell us where the forumite gate is and we'll be there!

(Kidding)

But, seriously, have a great day.

And congrats to all.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

secundem_artem

Ina Garten Salad

Arugula, watermelon and feta cheese.  For a dressing, whisk together chopped shallots, orange juice, lemon juice and a bit of honey to emulsify.  It's easy to make and great for warm weather.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

clean

Quotena Garten Salad

Arugula, watermelon and feta cheese.  For a dressing, whisk together chopped shallots, orange juice, lemon juice and a bit of honey to emulsify.  It's easy to make and great for warm weather.

I dont know what this is, but it sounds good.
There are many kinds of honey, I would suggest Orange Blossom Honey, (rather than the typical 'in a plastic bear' clover honey.   (Rock Gut Honey!)  You may have to look for orange blossom as it is not as wide spread as the cheap, nasty clover honey that every walmart has. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

aside

Given the expense of most weddings these days, you have dodged a bullet!

It is summertime, so lots of cold beverages.

Congratulations to all!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on July 08, 2019, 05:25:39 PM
What a cheerful day!

Do you have a couple of good fresh breads, like French sourdough or scali, or whole wheat-n-rye, that you can butter and toast on the grill.

x1000

Copious quantities of high-quality bread.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Congratulations! Here's a cold citrus couscous salad I've brought to many an occasion, and it seems to be a hit with most.  It goes with lots of different dishes and tastes really fresh because of the mint, cucumber, and so forth.  It's pretty easy both to make and to scale up.  https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/citrus-couscous-salad

the_geneticist

Sounds like a great wedding and party!

Maybe a fresh veggie platter with hummus/Ranch dressing/other regional favorite?  Easy to make ahead or buy.

If the weather is hot, I'd suggest lots of non-alcoholic beverages.  You can buy or rent the large dispensers for water, iced tea, punch, lemonade, etc.  "spa water", which is water flavored with sliced up fruits, is very popular here (lemon & basil, strawberry & lime).

geoteo

Thank you all for these excellent suggestions!  My daughter starts her vacation Saturday, so we will be able to make final decisions and start collecting the necessary ingredients.

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Yes.

Inquiring minds wish to know....

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.