News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

East Coast Area Meetup, Broadly Configured?

Started by mamselle, July 24, 2019, 07:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Since there isn't a listing for something like "Academic Travel, Conferences," etc. (yet), I'm posting this generally, and the mods can shepherd it into it's own pen if that seems better...

In addition to the usual suspects, with whom one always has good times, it sounds as if there might be some lurkers and newcomers with whom to meet up!

This can be, but need not be, at the usual Legal Seafoods in Copley Square--suggestions for other venues are welcome!

Some access to public transport (even, say, taking a train to WaterFire in Providence--within walking distance of the train station--or a bus to Newburyport, with a short cab ride to the waterfront..ditto Marblehead, ditto Salem, ditto Gloucester) would be preferable, and I am out of range from Friday afternoon until Sat. PMs each week, but can do Sundays, and Monday or possibly Wednesday PMs.

Starter options:

Salem: Hawthorne House on the Common (fancy, pricey); the little pub across the street (very good food, sometimes music, less costly but not much); others?

Marblehead: King's Rook (sandwiches and meals); restaurant that overhangs the bay (forget name, have NOT forgotten the tasty baked scallops and pasta, 20 years ago, now...); others?

Newburyport: no specific recc's, open to suggestions!

Gloucester: Bear Point, Cape Ann area, several good options; suggestions?

Providence: Hotel opposite the station (also pricey but I recall eating well there); McIntyre's if it's still there; others?

Or...Plymouth? Concord? (Concord Inn, pricey but good; Helena's Diner, excellent upscale comfort food, with ice cream from the little shop across the street after...); others?

New Haven? Mystick? Hartford? NYC?

Others?

It's summer, we can play a bit!

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

archaeo42

I'm also in New England and am open to pretty much anywhere. I would have lots of suggestions for the Hartford/New Haven area. I am also off every other Monday so that provides some more options (at least on my end).

If people are up for a brewery visit with a BYOF (bring your own food) there are some very good options with good beer, and some will have wine and guest ciders on tap/available as well. Seating is usually easier, especially for a group.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

irhack

I will be busy almost every weekend into September, and working M-F - but I wanted to reply so I will see response in case I am able to join a meet up. Thanks Mamselle for trying to get folks together!

mamselle

Bookmarking encouraged!

And the archaeo-options sound good, too!

More?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

monarda

Bookmarking as well. I'm not living in the east now, but I did for a long time and visit each fall, usually in October. So if the meetup happens to be taking place when I'm there, great!

mamselle

Ok, do you have any sense of a date range in October?

M.

monarda

Nope, I don't know yet. It varies. 

Sometimes I go to Martha's Vineyard before Columbus Day, after which the ferries go to their winter schedule.

Last year I rowed in the Head of the Charles Regatta. I don't know that our boat will get in this year. That's the last weekend of October.

<ooh...that sounds like I'm an ultra-preppie doesn't it?  Not. I just like the sports and places that those types like. I'm more of a hippie>

mamselle

Quote from: monarda on July 26, 2019, 08:07:49 PM
Nope, I don't know yet. It varies. 

Sometimes I go to Martha's Vineyard before Columbus Day, after which the ferries go to their winter schedule.

Last year I rowed in the Head of the Charles Regatta. I don't know that our boat will get in this year. That's the last weekend of October.

<ooh...that sounds like I'm an ultra-preppie doesn't it?  Not. I just like the sports and places that those types like. I'm more of a hippie>

Ok, that's a start!

Others?

M.

nescafe

Bookmarking, because though I'm on the West Coast, I will be in the NYC-Boston corridor for a couple of weeks in Sept and again in Oct. It would be pretty awesome to *finally* make one of mamselle's meet-ups after literally years of FOMO!

mamselle

Ok, is there a slight trend towards October, then?

I have an event the 27-31 but am free otherwise.

What dates, roughly, will you, nescafe, and you, monarda, be in the area?

And what kind of food/activitiesdo people like?

(You can PM me, too, if that's simpler...)

It'll be fun to see new and known folks, both!

M.

nescafe

I'll be in New England around October 9-16, and could be pretty flexible within that timeframe!

mamselle

Thanks!

Others?

Are any of the usual suspects around then?

Let me know on this thread or via PM and we'll make a plan to take over the world (well, our tiny part of it) for a bit.

Any other activities wanted? Tours? Zoo visits? Museum tips? Sports? Other?

And any preferences for locale?

We meet in Boston a lot but that's not the ooonnnnllllyyyy place we can go to!

M.

backatit

Boston is a great town, and I haven't been there in forever. I was thinking of a trip to Maine right around then so we'll have to see. Although if I get up to Maine, I don't usually leave. The UK meetup would likely be easier for me to make - I just saw that one :D.

mamselle

Maybe Portsmouth, NH, would be an on-the-fly midground for anyone in ME?

We can see a lighthouse, eat along the wharf, maybe go over to Strawberry Banks?

I think there's an ice-cream place nearby, too...

M.

nescafe

Quote from: mamselle on July 29, 2019, 06:11:01 AM
Maybe Portsmouth, NH, would be an on-the-fly midground for anyone in ME?

I like this idea. Portsmouth is very cute! I was already planning to be in Durham, NH for a good portion of my stay in October, too. For Boston-area (or ME) commuters, the Downeaster runs through nearby (but not precisely to Portsmouth).