News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Possible Mid-December Meetup in the UK/BE/FR regions?

Started by mamselle, July 29, 2019, 05:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

So, my travel Is booked, and I'm looking at the following:

Dec 15/16 arv LHR
Dec 16-20
  Stay in London with loop to Worcester, maybe Oxford, as day trips
Dec 20/21
   Chunnel to Tournai; daylong library visit, to Bruxelles in PM
Dec 21/22
   If library is open, do some checkups of sources their; Liege by nightfall
Dec 22/26
   Cousin, holiday parties, food, sleep, write, sleep, eat, etc.
Dec 26/7
  Strasbourg day-trip visit, maybe overnight, lv next AM
Dec 28
  Reims Cath, library, for the day, to Paris by the PM
Dec 29/Jan 3
   Paris, other outlying towns (Sens, Auxerre,  Fontainebleau for Nw Yrs? maybe Chartres/day trips)
Jan 3
    Leave via CDG (sigh)

Anyone who'd like to meet up one-on-one, or see if we get a larger group going, let me know!

You can PM or reply on this thread.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

backatit

I will probably be in London during that time period as well, so that's doable :). As it gets closer and my own plans get firmer (I'm always incredibly difficult to make plans with, just because of dog sitting issues) I'll let you know. We bought tickets for our UK trip literally 2 weeks before this one - sigh.

mamselle

Cool!

Anyone else?

There's a nice, small restaurant near St. Paul's that I've gone to before...have to look it up....or--suggestions?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Ooh, London at Christmas time!  Wish I could go...

mamselle

Let us know if you make it!

Lotsa books...food...etc.

M.

mamselle

Bump!

Any travel plans further resolved?

Any locals available?

I'm working on ground/water transport and hostels shortly!

M.

backatit

I probably won't be back over till early January, unfortunately (after the 3rd). The kids have drained my travel budget, and I was hoping to go during the christmas break so that I could go over to Germany for the Christmas market with my sister in law, too. I'll let you know if that changes, though (if my partner's work needs him there before Christmas, we'll go before then, even if it costs more - they basically control the itinerary.

mamselle

I hope they cover the travel costs, too!!!

I'll look forward to hearing that it works out in the best possible way for you--and if that includes being somewhere nearby for a meetup, we'll plan on it!

M.

euro_trash

I live in Belgium. Come to Ghent. I'll take you to get fries, and beer brewed by monks.
spork in 2014: "It's a woe-is-me echo chamber."

niceday in 2011: "Euro_trash is blinded by his love for Endnote"

I'm kind of a hippy, love nature and my kids, and am still a believer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4BPPaaoKc

mamselle

Quote from: euro_trash on August 27, 2019, 11:04:31 AM
I live in Belgium. Come to Ghent. I'll take you to get fries, and beer brewed by monks.

J'arrive!

(But...um...I don't drink alcohol, and I can't eat fried foods anymore...!)

Still....let me see if I can fit it in between Tournai, Bruxelles, and Liege...(at least I'm not trying to get to Aachen/Aix this trip....salut a Browning...)

Anyone else?

Thanks!

M.

euro_trash

No worries. Lots of goodies, and Ghent is a neat town. Ever been?

I'm kind of a hippy, love nature and my kids, and am still a believer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4BPPaaoKc

mamselle

Quote from: euro_trash on August 27, 2019, 11:21:09 AM
No worries. Lots of goodies, and Ghent is a neat town. Ever been?

Non, jamais... Bruges, Bruxelles (plusieurs fois), Liege x 20+, Leuven, umm....that might be about it.

Sounds enticing, I might be able to fit it in if I go to my cousin's a day later...after all, it has a cathedral...

But--it's in Flanders, right?

Can I get by with French?

;--}

M.

euro_trash

You can get by in French (and English), and Bruges is a half-hour from my house.

mamselle

Ok, bump again.

I heard on another thread that we might be able to get one other person in the UK (Always assuming there still is one) In mid-December.

Others?

Still sorting out if I can make it to Ghent...it's on my list!

Others?

M.

mamselle

Re-bump!

Before Ghent, there will be Heathrow.

Given all the weird, wild, woolie givens in the UK at present, can anyone tell me what to expect upon landing at LHR on Dec 15/16?

I will have my passport, of course, and my return ticket info, (via CDG) and my Chunnel booking to show them I don't plan to stay.

But are there any squirrely new twists to landing there now? Or will there be, if any sort of Brexit actually happens between now and then?

Or will it just be "Heathrow-as-usual," which I know by experience can have its own kind of crazy?

M.