Throwing a party for myself and Polly! Clubhouse Open for business/Fun!

Started by mamselle, August 06, 2019, 01:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

At post 1000, I thank everyone for coming over from the CHE fora and welcome all our new colleagues.

These fora have been one of the constants in my life for more than a decade and I'm glad they continue.

Now I'll take that ear of corn.

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

traductio

I never made it to 1000 posts on the CHE fora, despite having an account for over a decade, so I never "attended" one of these parties. But I, too, am glad the fora live on, differently, perhaps, but live on nonetheless.

Here's some corn. We do butter "Wisconsin-style" (or at least that's what people told me when I lived in Wisconsin) -- we just roll the ear in a stick of butter sitting on a plate. Eventually the stick gets a pretty good groove. Plus, it makes for good toast the next morning.

polly_mer

Quote from: traductio on August 29, 2019, 06:13:26 AM
I never made it to 1000 posts on the CHE fora, despite having an account for over a decade, so I never "attended" one of these parties. But I, too, am glad the fora live on, differently, perhaps, but live on nonetheless.

Here's some corn. We do butter "Wisconsin-style" (or at least that's what people told me when I lived in Wisconsin) -- we just roll the ear in a stick of butter sitting on a plate. Eventually the stick gets a pretty good groove. Plus, it makes for good toast the next morning.

Thank you!  I was raised in Wisconsin and that is exactly how I eat my corn.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Born in NC, raised in OH, that's the right way to eat corn where I've lived, too.

Are we all midwesterners?

Is that why we talk to each other?

<runs and hides...>

M
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

traductio

My spouse and I are both from the great plains, more or less -- so midwest, but a bit more west than mid. We spent seven years in Wisconsin, where we discovered this buttering technique. Small though such a detail may seem, it was quite a revelation to us, and we've worked to spread the practice far and wide!

archaeo42

Quote from: mamselle on August 29, 2019, 09:21:10 AM
Born in NC, raised in OH, that's the right way to eat corn where I've lived, too.

<runs and hides...>

M

I don't know. I was born and raised in New England and we did this. One side of my family has been in New England since the Mayflower while the other side immigrated in the 60s from Europe. So YMMV?

I did however live in the Midwest for a decade during grad school and postdoc.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

Puget

Quote from: archaeo42 on August 30, 2019, 04:52:55 AM
Quote from: mamselle on August 29, 2019, 09:21:10 AM

<runs and hides...>

M

I don't know. I was born and raised in New England and we did this. One side of my family has been in New England since the Mayflower while the other side immigrated in the 60s from Europe. So YMMV?

I did however live in the Midwest for a decade during grad school and postdoc.

I grew up buttering corn like this in the pacific northwest, but my mom's from Wisconsin so I guess that proves nothing. Regardless, I stopped by to offer you all this shaker of chili-lime seasoning, which I've become obsessed with sprinkling on corn this summer (after a good coating of butter to make it stick of course).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Thursday's_Child

<pulls on oven mitts, grabs perfectly roasted ear from grill, shucks it, sets it spinning in the groove on a stick of butter, doffs mitts, sprinkles chili-lime seasoning>

Ahhh, a perfect start to the Labor Day weekend!  What sort of dark beer do we have on tap?

traductio

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on August 30, 2019, 07:13:30 AM
What sort of dark beer do we have on tap?

I am either an intolerable beer snob or a connoisseur of local brews (that's a question of perspective), but I'll bring some local things from round these parts.

Or this, about which I can say, the label accurately describes what's in the bottle.

notmycircus

Remove the husk, moisten a paper towel, wrap the ear of corn, nuke for 3 minutes.  Excellent.