News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Perseids and Aquarids in one fell swoop!

Started by mamselle, August 08, 2019, 08:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juvenal

Quote from: mamselle on August 30, 2019, 09:38:21 AM
Hmm, thanks, will do.

I recall the effects of Krakatoa and Mt. St. Helena on sunsets and sunrises...also forest fires at times.

M.

My word, M.  You recall Krakatoa?  All I recall is Mount Agung in the early Sixties and wondering (I was an undergraduate, not yet fully topped off with knowledge; the wisdom, TBD) why sunsets were so... dramatic over the church beyond my dorm.
Cranky septuagenarian

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: Juvenal on August 30, 2019, 01:56:05 PM
Quote from: mamselle on August 30, 2019, 09:38:21 AM
Hmm, thanks, will do.

I recall the effects of Krakatoa and Mt. St. Helena on sunsets and sunrises...also forest fires at times.

M.

My word, M.  You recall Krakatoa?  All I recall is Mount Agung in the early Sixties and wondering (I was an undergraduate, not yet fully topped off with knowledge; the wisdom, TBD) why sunsets were so... dramatic over the church beyond my dorm.

Anak Krakatoa still erupts regularly - and is well monitored, given it's history and potential!  I recall months of spectacular sunsets in the early 80's (courtesy of which eruption?  I don't remember.) plus those in the early 90's after a majorly destructive eruption by Pinatubo.  The current shows are the product of eruptions of Raikoke and Ulawun.

mamselle

Thanks, yes, I didn't mean the 1883 eruption...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: mamselle on August 31, 2019, 07:05:30 PM
Thanks, yes, I didn't mean the 1883 eruption...

;--}

M.

Oh.  I'd though you might mean it, since you're known to spend weekends in previous centuries.

mamselle

Well, true....but in the 19th c. I'm usually doing social dance...although it's possible one might walk out to one of the balustrades and catch a  glimpse of greenish light that way!

Alas, in the present (well, last night) I awoke at 2 AM, and decided to go out and look. The skies were  (finally) clear, but no green lights there, either.

The sunset, earlier, did have some grape-juice purplish bands along with a salmon-orange streak and a bit of dusky rose.

So there's that...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Yes, some dragon was breathing smoke and hazing up the sky when I walked back from the library  c. 10 pm....so couldn't see anything...yet again....

Sigh.

M.

clean

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Hoping for clear skies tonight.

Last night was juust fuzzy enough with little low cirrus-y plumes that it was too occluded to see anything deep.

C'est la vie!

M.