News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Canadian Election Thread, 2019 edition

Started by Parasaurolophus, September 19, 2019, 10:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

picard

Liberals are predicted to hold on to power:

QuoteCBC have called the election for Trudeau, though have said "whether it will be a minority or majority government remains to be seen."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2019/oct/22/canada-election-2019-justin-trudeau-faces-reckoning-as-polls-predict-close-result-live

Parasaurolophus

My sister is trailing in the polls, but her riding has only counted a few hundred votes so far.

I'm delighted by the Green breakthrough in Fredericton, and hope it firms up as the night goes on!

Polls only just closed on the west coast, though, and it looks like BC will matter quite a bit to the overall picture. Too soon to know how it's breaking.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Interesting to see and hear how these elections are playing out....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Well, that's a relief. Pretty much the best outcome I could realistically hope for. I hope the NDP can push the Liberals harder on the environment.

(Also, without a majority, TransMountain is in some trouble. Whew!)
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Sooo...for those of us watching along at home...who/what is TransMountain?

Thanks d'avance

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

marshwiggle

For all of the Americans who thought it a tragedy that Hillary won the popular vote but lost the election, the Conservatives won the popular vote but the Liberals won the election.

Different systems, but it's just worth pointing out that quirks in the system are not the end of the world, and politicians need to focus more on communicating honestly and productively with voters than on micromanaging the process (or whining when some detail doesn't work in their favour.)
It takes so little to be above average.

Kron3007

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 21, 2019, 11:48:19 PM
Well, that's a relief. Pretty much the best outcome I could realistically hope for. I hope the NDP can push the Liberals harder on the environment.

Agreed, and I hope they push for electoral reform as well 

Kron3007

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 22, 2019, 05:03:00 AM
For all of the Americans who thought it a tragedy that Hillary won the popular vote but lost the election, the Conservatives won the popular vote but the Liberals won the election.

Different systems, but it's just worth pointing out that quirks in the system are not the end of the world, and politicians need to focus more on communicating honestly and productively with voters than on micromanaging the process (or whining when some detail doesn't work in their favour.)

Yes, in many ways ours is worse since you can end up with a majority government with less than 40% of the popular vote and our new government will be governing with low 30s of the popular vote. 

marshwiggle

Quote from: Kron3007 on October 22, 2019, 05:32:20 AM

No way at all! Given that Trudeau dropped it with a majority, there's no way he'll go for it with a minority where it would have made him much worse off!
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on October 22, 2019, 02:26:57 AM

Thanks d'avance

M.

Nevermind. I found it. It's a pipeline.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on October 22, 2019, 07:37:32 AM
Quote from: mamselle on October 22, 2019, 02:26:57 AM

Thanks d'avance

M.

Nevermind. I found it. It's a pipeline.

M.

Through BC, and which BC does not want. So they managed to scupper it with litigation, then the Liberals bought it for $4.5 billion so that they could build it and sell it back once it was built (rather than, say, nationalizing it and using the profits to green the economy). They basically bought it to get Alberta on board with their national carbon tax scheme, but Alberta doesn't care. It wants the pipeline built, and the carbon tax gone (even though it was introduced by the Harper Conservatives).

It's a horrid idea to begin with, and a total subsequent boondoggle.
I know it's a genus.

Kron3007

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 22, 2019, 06:48:27 AM
Quote from: Kron3007 on October 22, 2019, 05:32:20 AM

No way at all! Given that Trudeau dropped it with a majority, there's no way he'll go for it with a minority where it would have made him much worse off!

Yeah, can't see it happening, but one can hope.

There are some iterations such as ranked ballot that could work for the liberals and basically prevent conservatives from having much chance