News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Joker movie

Started by clean, October 03, 2019, 05:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

There is a lot of press about the movie The Joker.

Do you plan to see it?  Do you think that the warnings about potential violence will increase the crowds at the movie or keep people away?

Some of the reviews indicate that this is a great film concept, and likely will win several awards.

So what are your thoughts? 

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Parasaurolophus

No, I don't think so, because I suspect that at best, it'll live in Heath Ledger's shadow. And I'm pretty skeptical that it'll even manage that much. Given the director's back catalogue, I see no reason to expect that it will be any good, let alone very good.
I know it's a genus.

0susanna

All the reviews I've seen (from critics I respect who have actually seen the movie) say it's a well-crafted film with no heart, or WTTE. I'm skipping it because (a) I do not care for the Joker and wasn't a fan of The Dark Knight, either. (b) I'm tired of movies with the general premise of "oh, pity this villain/monster who is really just a sad, misunderstood victim of an unhappy childhood/abuse/disability/bullies/loud, greedy Danes. Yes, that is sad, but sentient beings have choices. (c) I don't like clowns. Haven't seen It, either.
54% positive at The Cherry Picks https://www.thecherrypicks.com/films/joker/

Anselm

As of today it has made it to the #3 spot on the IMDB list of top movies of all time based on user reviews.  I am now pretty much sold on seeing it in my local theater and that will be the 2nd time I have done that in 12 years in this city.  Fans are calling it a visual masterpiece. I did notice the mixed reviews from the professional critics and I usually let them decide whether or not I will spend time and money on a movie but I will take a chance this time.

I was not aware that there were other movies where you pity the villain.  I must have missed Young Mengele, Boy Wonder.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Anselm on October 07, 2019, 08:40:59 AM

I was not aware that there were other movies where you pity the villain.  I must have missed Young Mengele, Boy Wonder.

And Clockwork Orange. And so many others.
I know it's a genus.