News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: apl68 on July 16, 2021, 11:09:12 AM
Twice this week I've found the remains of a fast-food meal scattered on the ground right next to the open-topped dumpster by the service entrance to our building.  Who in the world can't toss something into a target that big?  It looks like somebody has been chucking their trash at the dumpster while driving by through the parking lot.  That moment's carelessness keeps making it necessary for me to pick all the trash up.

Can the library put up a camera? Or, at least a sign that the dumpster is being monitored?

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 16, 2021, 11:40:56 AM
Twice this week I've found the remains of a fast-food meal scattered on the ground right next to the open-topped dumpster by the service entrance to our building.  Who in the world can't toss something into a target that big?  It looks like somebody has been chucking their trash at the dumpster while driving by through the parking lot.  That moment's carelessness keeps making it necessary for me to pick all the trash up.

Can the library put up a camera? Or, at least a sign that the dumpster is being monitored?

We DO have a camera monitoring it.  However, it would take considerably more time to review security video to look for the guilty party than the clean-ups have taken.  If this problem continues that equation may change....
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Update:  Mystery solved!  A staff member has spotted crows diving into the dumpster and carrying out sacks.  Whoever has been chucking fast food bags into the dumpster has been making it.  The crows just don't let well enough alone.  Staff members mostly eat their lunches inside the building, so I don't think it's their food bags that this has been happening to.  Anyway, I'm not going to stake out the security video just to catch some crows in the act.

Meanwhile we're wondering how much longer it will be before the hauling company either replaces the dumpster, or has to clean up our area and THEN replace it, after the rusting bottom drops out.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Puget

Quote from: apl68 on July 16, 2021, 01:13:18 PM

We DO have a camera monitoring it.  However, it would take considerably more time to review security video to look for the guilty party than the clean-ups have taken.  If this problem continues that equation may change....

Your culprit may not be a human but rather a dumpster diving critter. Raccoons are notorious.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on July 16, 2021, 02:07:38 PM

Your culprit may not be a human but rather a dumpster diving critter. Raccoons are notorious.

I'm curious. Maybe you could speed through the early morning hours of the footage?

apl68

Quote from: Puget on July 16, 2021, 02:07:38 PM

Well, as noted in my post above, it was non-human, though not a mammal.

the_geneticist

Quote from: apl68 on July 16, 2021, 02:05:59 PM
Update:  Mystery solved!  A staff member has spotted crows diving into the dumpster and carrying out sacks.  Whoever has been chucking fast food bags into the dumpster has been making it.  The crows just don't let well enough alone.  Staff members mostly eat their lunches inside the building, so I don't think it's their food bags that this has been happening to.  Anyway, I'm not going to stake out the security video just to catch some crows in the act.

Meanwhile we're wondering how much longer it will be before the hauling company either replaces the dumpster, or has to clean up our area and THEN replace it, after the rusting bottom drops out.

Crows are clever!  Now that they know those bags contain food they will remember it (and teach their offspring).  It's going to be part of the local crow lore. 

AmLitHist

Long boring story, but result:  the pain in ALHS's replaced hip is NOT a problem with the replacement.  Yay, right?

Nope. As suspected when his hip hurt like this 10 years ago (pre-replacement), the problem isn't with the hip, but is actually in his spine.  So, after some obligatory PT to satisfy Cigna, it looks like part of that original back surgery needs to be extended to address new (and not completely unexpected) problems--to entail removing the rods and cage, removing a couple/three more discs higher up, and putting in newer and longer rods and cage to fuse even more of his spine.  (He had similar work done in his neck in 2013.)

Now we get to start juggling:  he's going to need a knee replacement sooner rather than later, I absolutely have to get these cataracts fixed before I go back to work next month, I need to go to this same doctor to figure out next steps for my own spinal/mobility/pain problems, and it seems that his cardio problems are worsening (despite him losing 40+ pounds and exercising).

He's bummed out, and so am I, both so much so that I'm surprised.  It's not like w didn't know this could happen. I guess we were both just hoping against hope that it wouldn't, or at least that everything wouldn't fall apart at the same time. (He just turned 62, and I'm 60.)  SIGH. 

At least I still have a job with insurance (for now......though fall enrollments truly suck).

Harlow2

So sorry, AmLitHist.  It would be enough to manage just one of these.

mamselle

Thinking of you both.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Sorry ALH. That bites hard. Enrollment sucks over here too.

Larimar

Yipes, ALH, sorry to hear it. Wishing you the best healing possible.

AmLitHist

Thanks, all.  I was having a pity party and it's been a while since I've done that.  This morning I'm back to taking a deep breath, gritting my teeth, and getting on with it.  I appreciate the support, and also having this place to rant and rave and then move on.

Langue_doc

ALH, sending you and spouse healing thoughts. Pity parties are therapeutic, so indulge, wallow--whatever it takes to relieve the stress.

mamselle

Agreed.

Also, if you just need a quiet space, the quiet thread is available, too....

https://thefora.org/index.php?topic=1878.msg60634#msg60634

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.