News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Halloween Checkup? How many?

Started by clean, October 31, 2019, 08:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I had some candy ready. 
Only 2 youngins showed up (8 ad 10 they said).  They were not even in costume! 

That is all that showed up at my house!  I peeked out about 830 and the neighborhood was clear, so I turned off the lights.

What was Your Halloween night like?
How many ghouls and goblins? 

Where do kids go for trick or treating these days?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

namazu

We had crummy weather (windy, damp, and cold), and still got about 15-20.  We've had up to 40 in boom years.  I think some of the older kids we used to get have aged out/gone to college, and there seems to be a dearth of middle-schoolers in the neighborhood.  Lots of young'uns, though.

sprout

Beautiful weather - clear and cold.  20 or so trick-or-treaters, including some very young ones.

polly_mer

It was very cold here and we had about 35, mostly bitsies who were under waist high. 

Mr. Mer planned for 100, so we've got candy coming out of our ears. I did give away most of the plushies that we had planned for the bitsies.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Puget

This was my first year in my new house so didn't know what to expect. I got about a half dozen groups of 1-6 little ones between 6:30-8 PM, then nothing, but it had also gotten really windy and started raining again so that may have put an early end to the night, and the young families in my neighborhood are mostly immigrants so don't necessarily have a deep history with halloween. I have a lot of left over candy to bring in today, which my lab will be happy about.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

much_metta

Most years we get right around 100 (we're in a popular neighborhood bordered on all sides by other neighborhoods), though we plan for closer to 150 just in case.  This year, we got about 70.  The torrential rain that came out of nowhere and lasted about an hour right in the middle of the time window is probably why. 

backatit

No one ever comes out here - it's a half mile between houses and another half to a quarter mile down our driveways. The neighborhood kids drive to more efficient neighborhoods :D.

Parasaurolophus

Zero Halloweenies, not even the landlords' children.

In fairness, we're at the top of quite a large and steep hill, with few other houses around.
I know it's a genus.

littleapple

I live in a very popular trick or treat neighborhood (and the neighborhood relishes that fact).  I had 500 pieces of candy, which in the past, will last me until about 7:15.  But we had a very wet, rainy windy day and night, so I don't think we had more than 250 kids.  I was generous with the candy and finally ran out around 8:15.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 01, 2019, 09:59:19 AM

In fairness, we're at the top of quite a large and steep hill, with few other houses around.

When the landlords' children were out this morning, I put our horned dinosaur jack o'lantern at the top of their steps, arranged candy cultists around it, and left them a note from Crom Cruach.

(It's still Samhain, so it counts!)
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 01, 2019, 11:47:14 AM

When the landlords' children were out this morning, I put our horned dinosaur jack o'lantern at the top of their steps, arranged candy cultists around it, and left them a note from Crom Cruach.

That's sweet! (literally and figuratively!)

I don't know if anyone came around, but we didn't buy any candy this year and didn't put the light on.  This is our third Halloween in this house, and no one showed up the past two years.  Our 15yo does not need any more candy than she already eats, and neither of us need it either.  Like others in the thread, our neighborhood is pretty sparse, a fair distance between houses and longish driveways.  No street lights, so not that great safety-wise.  There are some neighborhoods that get hundreds of kids.  But I also think there is more of that trunk or treating going on, a more organized and safer way for kids to amass their candy, though it doesn't seem quite as fun to me. 

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on November 01, 2019, 11:54:38 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 01, 2019, 11:47:14 AM

That's sweet! (literally and figuratively!)

Curses, they retaliated with more candy offerings!

Well. At dusk, Crom Cruach will chew them up some and then reject their sad candy offerings (their words, not ours!) and cover the world in darkness.
I know it's a genus.

citrine

It was miserable this year (cold, rainy, extremely windy), but Nephew and his friends wanted to go out, so I stayed home and handed out candy and had towels and snacks waiting for when they came back to our house to "trade candy" with each other so that everyone had more of what they liked and less of what they didn't.

Our house got three trick or treaters, but I think a lot of people cut their tours through our neighborhood short because it was so terrible outside. Nephew and his friends assimilated the rest of the candy I had bought to give out into their hoards, but also picked out candy that they knew I liked and offered it to me, which was very sweet of them.

Phydeaux

Where I live, city and county officials set the days and times for trick-or-treating (6-8pm, not necessarily on Oct. 31). Threats of severe weather on Thursday caused it to be pushed back to tonight. That seems kind of anticlimactic to me, and I suspect we'll have a pretty low turnout.

AJ_Katz

We had around 30 visitors!  This was our first time decorating and participating in the Halloween festivities.  Prior to this, we lived in neighborhoods without sidewalks, in the country, or in apartments, so never really had the opportunity and don't have kids of our own to justify participating beyond that.  My partner and I had planned to carve pumpkins and decorate the weekend before, but the last week has been a hellstorm of deadlines and events.  I got home at 6:30 on Halloween and still had to finish decorating outdoors, putting out lights, etc.  We live in a 1990's neighborhood, while surrounding neighborhoods are mostly 50's houses, so we got a lot of people that seemed to be from other neighborhoods.  My favorite visitor was a little girl dressed as a lady beetle.  She was very soft spoken and had such a happy look on her face.  We will definitely do this again, but need to expand our collection of outdoor decorations.