News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Brief Forum Downtime

Started by eigen, December 04, 2019, 12:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eigen

Quote from: Liquidambar on December 13, 2019, 01:15:29 PM
If displaying this number of boards has the desired outcome on server load, maybe we can give some thought to which board would draw in the most new members?  The job board seemed to be a big draw to the old fora, so I'd be inclined to vote for that one.

I think that's a great idea. Lets see how the servers handle things over the next few weeks, and whether it makes a huge difference or not.

Please keep suggestions coming if you have them!
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

dr_codex

Quote from: eigen on December 13, 2019, 08:18:54 PM
Quote from: Liquidambar on December 13, 2019, 01:15:29 PM
If displaying this number of boards has the desired outcome on server load, maybe we can give some thought to which board would draw in the most new members?  The job board seemed to be a big draw to the old fora, so I'd be inclined to vote for that one.

I think that's a great idea. Lets see how the servers handle things over the next few weeks, and whether it makes a huge difference or not.

Please keep suggestions coming if you have them!

No suggestions, because I don't understand the technical issues, but another Thanks! for keeping this running.

I'd like to keep lurkers lurking -- I did this for many years on the CHE version -- but if the bots are coming, and this isn't possible, would there be a way to nudge actually curious people on a welcome page? E.g.: Because of bots, you'll have a better experience if you create an account. Accounts are pseudonymous, and you can reboot at any time.

Phrased more elegantly.

Thanks mods all.
dc
back to the books.

traductio

I, too, am grateful to all who have worked to continue the Fora in its new form. I just did the mental math -- I started reading the CHE fora in 2006, so 13 years ago. (I'm at the point in my career where I do lots of mental math and realize that I've been doing X or Y for a decade and a half. It's happened, folks -- I've become my parents.) I also just looked at the rate at which I post -- about .24 posts per day. It's been that way since I first registered in 2008!

As for letting lurkers know there's more than meets the eye -- perhaps a pinned post on the General Discussion board?

namazu

What's the current hosting arrangement, and what would it take to upgrade the servers so that they could handle 50 bots and a modest legion of lurkers?  Is there a feasible/reasonable way to do that? (If money is a limiting factor, I suspect some of us would be willing to chip in to help keep the lights on.)

eigen

Quote from: namazu on December 14, 2019, 08:26:46 PM
What's the current hosting arrangement, and what would it take to upgrade the servers so that they could handle 50 bots and a modest legion of lurkers?  Is there a feasible/reasonable way to do that? (If money is a limiting factor, I suspect some of us would be willing to chip in to help keep the lights on.)

It's hard to get a number on that, but my guess is it's going to be a significant change.

We're on shared hosting donated by a company right now (Reclaim Hosting) to see if this will work and how our needs grow/expand/change.

There's definitely a possibility that we'll need to move to dedicated rather than shared hosting or to a beefier host at some point in the future, and we'll have see what our options are as we assess this.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...