News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Yahoogroups

Started by kaysixteen, October 21, 2019, 06:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

I got information that Yahoogroups are not closing down as such. Emails will still work to the groups. The difference will be that messages are not stored.
https://betanews.com/2019/10/17/yahoo-groups-closure/
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

kaysixteen

If I read this link correctly, my groups will become private but existing members will still be able to send new posts to the group list for immediate distribution, but no such posts will be stored or archived?  Or am I reading it wrong?

downer

I think that's right. But we will find out tomorrow and in the following weeks.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

I didn't even think I was IN a Yahoo group, but I just got this email:

Dear Group Moderators and Members,

Last month we notified you of the changes coming to Yahoo Groups that better align with user habits, and today we are providing an update to guide you through the next steps of the transition. Yahoo Groups is not going away - but we are making adjustments to ultimately serve you better. We are amazed at the vibrant community you've created through Yahoo Groups and we want to make sure you feel supported as we introduce these changes.

The following changes were made since our last communication:

•   Users can now only join a Yahoo Group through an invite or group request approval by the Group Moderator.
   •   New Groups can't be public. They can only be private (not listed in Groups directory, membership by invitation only) or restricted (listed in Groups directory, membership requests must be approved by a Group Moderator).
   •   Members must share all content via email, and can no longer upload or host new content on the Yahoo Groups website itself.

The following changes will be made on December 14, 2019:

•   Public groups will no longer exist. All existing public Groups will become restricted Groups that require Group Moderator approval to join.
   •   Any content that was previously uploaded via the website will be removed.

If you would like to keep any of the content you've posted or stored within your Yahoo Group, please download it by December 14 by accessing the Groups Download Manager at this link. Once you provide your preferred email address, we will send you a confirmation of your download request and notify you once the download is complete.

You will receive a link to a downloadable zip file via email for each of your Groups organized into a separate folder. Download time varies depending on the amount of information and file size.

If your download request is made by 11:59pm PST on Saturday, December 14, 2019, your content will not be deleted until your download is complete. We are unable to accommodate any download requests made after this deadline.

This is the final reminder to download your content. You can find additional information about the upcoming changes here.

We have worked extensively with our customer support team to develop recommendations for tools that can help you with any download issues. See help article here.

We have watched the evolution of Yahoo Groups with awe, as we grew to a community of millions with over 10 million Groups. Every day, we witness the power of community and shared passions, and our mission is to provide a platform for the strong connections people make with each other around their interests.

We thank you for being part of the Yahoo Groups community and look forward to continuing to provide ways for you to connect with one another about your shared interests and passions.

Sincerely,
The Groups Team
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.