News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Possible Mid-December Meetup in the UK/BE/FR regions?

Started by mamselle, July 29, 2019, 05:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Very glad I was able to re-book my flights since they did all the changes when the airplane control issues first arose.

Better connections than waiting 12 hours in one place each way became available. That's a definite plus...

Now working on details.

Anyone else in the area who wants to meet up?

I may go to Westminster the first day, tied to some gravestone and church history research (a trip overseas doesn't have to ALL be about French processions, does it?) Figuring out when to go to Oxford, and whether Worcester or Wells are next on my list as well.

Might do 'em all...but I need a day for London/BL, too.

That, in turn, will determine whether/how to fit in Ghent with Bruxelles and Liege, etc.

So...next steps, but evenings are generally free to eat food and meet folks, and days, too, if someone wants to come along on a library visit or meet for breakfast or lunch somewhere!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

backatit

My trip is early January now, sorry! It was supposed to be about that time but the stars did not align (I was really hoping to be in London during the Christmas time). We always fly into Gatwick as it's cheaper from our hub, so I can't help with any Heathrow information; sorry, but I'm expecting it to be business as usual unless something has actually happened (which I don't really expect at this point).

mamselle

Yes, I was more worried when the "break-outta-the-EU" date was being touted as October 31.

However, now the vote on December 12 looms...not sure what to make of that.

It feels a bit to me as if the Brexiteer stance is premised on something like an adolescent "Just wait til I'm  on my own! I'll show THEM!" belief in the meanness of rules and Other.Peoples'.Needs, and their constraints on budding genius.

At least that's the narrative Cummings seems to be supplying...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

I've read that the National Portrait Gallery will close for a 3 year refurbishment project in June 2020:
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/london-national-portrait-gallery-closure
Other museums will feature parts of the collection while the Portrait Galley is closed.

mamselle

Wow, thanks for that heads-up.

There are a couple of pieces I might want to look at; better fit them in if I think I'll need to see them/work from them anytime soon, it sounds like (Botticelli's Mystic Nativity is one..).

M.

backatit

Well, now my plans have changed and I'll be over mid-December (for the company Christmas party LOL). Sent you a PM for more detailed planning.

mamselle

mamselle

<singing..."It's my thread, I'll double-post if I wanna...>

So, hmmm....help wanted.

Does anyone know the (real, understood) dress code for females for lunch at the London Athaeneum?

Gulp.

(I'm just glad it's not dinner...)

M.

backatit

I'm no help, as I always wear whatever I want. Who is hosting you? I'd ask them, or can you call the club directly? Are you dining at the hotel (dress there is smart casual) or are you actually dining at the club, for which I thought you had to be invited by a member?)

mamselle

The latter...You're right, I'll just ask her.

Silly me.

M.

mamselle

Some fun meetups either just happening or due to happen.

Still trying to figure out the SNCF/SNCB tangle.

Lunch went well, too!

M.