News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Ciao_yall, yep I think the Wordplay blog is sometimes a little too much help.  I'm glad if the Shunn site is better for you as well.  And there is a word that is not in the puzzle today (missing the M) that is pretty similar to the pangram.   At least, that's how husband happened upon it.  It's more used in my line of work than his, so I was more familiar with it or maybe more primed to see it.

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc! It wasn't that bitter of an end, though, right? :-)  And sure, if you are around and want to send some LB hints, that would be great.  I keep finding more contenders but need to figure out what to do with a couple letters that keep ending up in my remainders.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Stuck at amazing today with a pangram. But, much to my surprise, found a twofer.

coxing/graceful; ab_grp, I don't think my hints were useful as I couldn't explain either word.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning, everyone!

I am also stuck at amazing with the pangram.  I think that SB will be slow today, in spite of not having a huge number of points.

LB:  graceful-lexicon, so a combination of the "official" solution and Langue_doc's solution.   I have a 2fer today, too, but it's probably not very "efficient," as both words are long.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

SB - imputing? Gah! What an easy word!

LB - ungraceful-lexicon. My "ships" were courage and flexing which I was able to "plug" with elf.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Thanks very much for the hints, Langue_doc! I don't think I would have gotten coxing, but once I saw that word in your follow up I was able to get graceful.  They are difficult words to hint at! I ended up getting the schmofficial solution, seeing lexicon first.

Not at Alpha (almost! 127), despite only having two dumb words left that are obviously a little long.  Waah.  There are a couple (in my opinion) sort of obscure words that I either remembered or happened upon.

Congrats on your 2fers today already, Langue_doc and cathwen!

Happy solving!

ETA: Got a 2fer! Yeah!! Sounds like a different one than cathwen, as mine is more lopsided.

ciao_yall

Status... Amazing with pangram; messy 2fer but keeping it.

Thanks for the tip on the bee solver site! You are right, it doesn't give too much away. If I get really stuck I can go to the Wordplay blog to see the definitions.

cathwen

Well, I'm at Beta, with three words to go.  The solver site is really helpful, as it has narrowed down the letters the missing words begin with.  Also their length.  You would think that I would be sailing to QB with that kind of help, but nope.  But at least I know to concentrate on words beginning with only certain letters.  So some of the words are obscure, eh?  Hmmm. 

Congratulations on your 2fer, ab_grp!  I'm enjoying reading all the variations from yesterday.  It appears that we'll have some variety tomorrow, too.

ab_grp

I got to a team QB a bit ago after asking husband how many 8 letter words he had and what they started with.  Strangely, I had the one he usually gets, but knowing what the other two started with helped me figure them out.

He still has 3 four-letter words to go, I think, and it is some of the four-letter words that I thought were maybe a little harder to get, so I have a suspicion about at least two of them.  But that doesn't meant they will be obscure for everyone! Good luck with the final three, cathwen!

I am really glad the solver site helps narrow things down as you wish to do! I should have tried that out long ago.  It didn't help us get titivate the other day, despite knowing the remaining word was 8 letters, started with T, and was not a compound.  So it doesn't always help with sailing to QB, but it gives a bit of a boost.

Congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall, messy or not.  That sounds like yet another solution!

Gotta get on the hard sudoku so I can finish all puzzles before my call this afternoon.

Parasaurolophus

Just missed genius yesterday, got there today with the pangram and without too much trouble.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Congrats, Parasaurolophus! I was glad that the pangram popped out pretty easily, because I think if it hadn't it could have taken me a while.

ciao_yall

Achieved soon after I posted, but wasn't near my computer by then.

Langue_doc

Good morning! Missed ocotillo; glad I didn't spend much time trying to find this word as I wouldn't have guessed it.

Past genius today with a pangram, which I found three words into the puzzle. Easy so far.

reverberation/nicely

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning! 

I also missed ocotillo.  I'd never heard the word before, but my husband, who spent his teen years in Arizona, knew exactly what it was and brought up a picture on his iPhone.  I also missed torii. 

Today I am at genius with the pangram. 

LB:  I had inviolable-electricity.  I found a 2fer today without much trouble. 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

SB accepted coir yesterday. This is a word that has been consistently rejected in the past and which I keep trying just out of orneriness.

ETA Twofer!

Stuck at 200, so will put it away for now.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I got ocotillo because that's one that husband always gets (but missed), as there are some either in or near our yard.  I cannot keep track of the flora here.  I thought it had an A for some reason but am glad I tried it. Tricolor and rototill were my final two.

Today I'm at 195 but running out of steam.  Hopefully more words will come later.

My LB was celebration-navy.  Lots of solutions again! And all different than the schmofficial one.  Interested to see what ciao_yall found.  I thought it was funny that yesterday's pangram vitriolic was in the LB and meant to go back and try to find a mate for it but forgot to.

Happy solving!