News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

February Research

Started by darkstarrynight, February 01, 2021, 10:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonsensical

Finished my grant draft, put it away to edit later with fresh eyes. I think there will still be a lot of work to do when I come back to it, but it feels good to be done with it for now.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 19, 2021, 09:32:33 AM
Today I'll finish up yesterday's section and start another.

Plus I put in four hours of work helping my partner with some editing work that just got dumped on her. WTF is wrong with academics? Citing is a basic skill. How do you go around with piles of incomplete entries which you haven't formatted at all to the book's requirements? (Especially when there's less than a week to the publisher's deadline!) And how the fuck do you go around mixing in-text citations, footnotes, and endnotes? WTF?

I always do this myself, and I generally do it as I go along. It takes me a lot less time than it would take someone else. (Plus, I always include all the info I need to include.) Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh I wanna drown myself in the toilet. *flush* *flush*
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Today I'll read and comment on a friend's paper and continue helping my partner with her last-minute editing dump. If I get around to anything of my own, I'll work on a book section.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Yesterday's writing group launch went so well! It was so uplifting. Today I worked on my manuscript revision since the research assistant spent some time on hu's section yesterday. I also "bumped" into another co-author on a zoom meeting yesterday and in the chat, hu mentioned feeling badly about ignoring my correspondence about the revision, but I just asked hu to please review the changes we made for 15 minutes so hu will soon. I am so relieved! This revision is almost done!

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on February 19, 2021, 07:53:18 AM
February goals:
-add a few sentences to Google Doc for team assignment
-finish reading article that was cited 500 times for 2021 project
-write some questions or research interests for analytical direction of 2021 project for team meeting
-write 1000 words for 2021 project
-read article for 2021 project
-write reflection of article for 2021 project
-read book chapter 5 (completed Feb 20)
-read book chapter 7
-read book chapter 8
-send email with word document list re 2021 project
-List 5 to 10 research questions for 2021 project and email it to colleagues
-Revise and resubmit article #2(For the love of God, please editors/reviewers, accept these revisions)  (update: accepted!)
-Read, revise and email myself manuscript #4 and get it down to <20-25 pages (article #1 was published in January)
-Write a page for item #5 (book chapter#1) due before Fall 2021
-Read/review/summarize 4 relevant papers to add to research library for 2021 project (1 down, 3 to go)
-Read book recommended for 2021 project essay #1
-Summarize book for 2021 project essay #1
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics
-Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score
-Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics
-Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s)
-Update CV to reflect federal agency's journal review
-Email department bio, picture for primary affiliation
-Email departmental director bio, picture, and keywords to get an unpaid departmental affiliation#2
-peer-review two new manuscripts relevant to research field(s)
-peer review manuscript due Feb 24 (completed Feb 20)
-peer-review manuscript for federal agency due Feb 26
-peer review manuscript due Feb 28
-sign on as a reviewer for national conference before the end of the month (completed Feb 19)
-agree to peer review article due in 21 days for March 2021 (completed Feb 19)
-agree to peer review second article due in 21 days for March 2021 (completed Feb 19)
-send item #6 (book chapter #2) abstract to book editors

Short-term/ongoing goals:
-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on during the second/third wave of COVID-19 so that research can continue
-submit abstract #3 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-submit abstract #4 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-In total, submit ~6 manuscripts/articles/chapter(s) in 2021 (hopefully 5 get accepted/published)
-continue to attend interviews for tenure-track jobs so that independent PI research can be started
-Continue drafting article #4 with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-Continue drafting item #5 (book chapter #1) due before Fall 2021
-apply for research funding
-Wait and watch for revise and resubmit request for article #3 in Feb (submitted in 2020)
-apply for a tenure-track job
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted Feb 2021)
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted AGAIN for a different university in a different state, Feb 2021)
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted once AGAIN Feb 2021)

Long-term goals:
-secure a tenure track job and start independent PI research
I need this grant approved...

traductio

I must say, my lists look like the ones everyone produces here! I realized that if I wanted, I have about 10 years worth of notebooks where I could go back and know, each day (or week), exactly what I had on my plate. What a strange archive.

On a different note, I finished a book manuscript today. It's about 50k words, which is relatively short, but I plan to send it to the publisher of my last book (which was 44k words). It's something a sequel to the last book.

I find that I deal with stress by writing. Not coincidentally, I started this book at the beginning of the pandemic. I lose myself in writing, which has been my way to cope with not being able to travel or see my family.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: traductio on February 21, 2021, 02:30:19 PM
I must say, my lists look like the ones everyone produces here! I realized that if I wanted, I have about 10 years worth of notebooks where I could go back and know, each day (or week), exactly what I had on my plate. What a strange archive.

On a different note, I finished a book manuscript today. It's about 50k words, which is relatively short, but I plan to send it to the publisher of my last book (which was 44k words). It's something a sequel to the last book.

I find that I deal with stress by writing. Not coincidentally, I started this book at the beginning of the pandemic. I lose myself in writing, which has been my way to cope with not being able to travel or see my family.

Congratulations, that's fabulous! Well done!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Indeed! Woot!

ETA: In other less stupendous news, I got more done on my Intro and Chapter 1 work yesterday.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

darkstarrynight

Congrats! That is amazing!

I got a conference proposal accepted for a conference next month, and we have to pre-record the session. Now I am trying to get my co-authors to find a time to do this soon, but it is very exciting. Today I am not doing anything research-related, so I will get back to baking!

Parasaurolophus

Today:

• Partner-editing help
  • Reading for collaboration 3
  • Referee for conference
  • Work on a book section
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

That is a huge milestone. Congratulations!

I sent off a paper today. Not quite as big a milestone as finishing an entire book manuscript (!), but feels good nonetheless.

darkstarrynight

Today I made incremental progress: I was able to get my three co-authors to select a time to pre-record our conference session in a few weeks. I will draft slides this week but they will be minimal, just to get us on track for our brief meeting to record the presentation. I also e-mailed the fifth author on the second revision of the manuscript (due in two weeks) to see if hu can at least check what I added to hu's section (and maybe add some content if relevant).

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 22, 2021, 08:24:24 AM
Today:

• Partner-editing help
  • Reading for collaboration 3
  • Referee for conference
  • Work on a book section

Whew!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: darkstarrynight on February 22, 2021, 02:32:56 PM
Today I made incremental progress: I was able to get my three co-authors to select a time to pre-record our conference session in a few weeks. I will draft slides this week but they will be minimal, just to get us on track for our brief meeting to record the presentation. I also e-mailed the fifth author on the second revision of the manuscript (due in two weeks) to see if hu can at least check what I added to hu's section (and maybe add some content if relevant).

Yikes, this just made me realize I'd better double-check that my two (April and May) presentations don't need to be pre-recorded. I thooouught they were "live," but maybe I missed something!

Thanks for the reminder....

<<...goes off to double-check acceptance emails and look up Word Thread, Audacity, Zoom, and others to consider options for doing this if needed.>>

M.

ETA: Emailed them both, so that's done! - M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

darkstarrynight

I am happy to be useful in some way!

Last night I heard from a journal editor on a revision I submitted two months ago. Hu wrote that we responded to all reviewer comments well and the manuscript is great, but suddenly is too many pages over the maximum (not posted anywhere). I wish hu had told us this back when we submitted it in December, but I cut it down by four pages last night and resubmitted it. I was too excited that it might get published to wait any longer. I hope we get an official acceptance soon.