News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

February Research

Started by darkstarrynight, February 01, 2021, 10:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkstarrynight

We already completed a month of 2021. Post your February research goals here!

Goals

• Finalize and submit "second half of rejected manuscript" to target journal with co-authors
  • Finish transcription of interviews for project with subfield colleague
  • Begin writing and analysis with college friend - we already received data through our request from a major organization!
  • Return to recently rejected manuscript to make revisions from feedback and submit elsewhere - my co-authors and I finally have a plan in place and a new target journal.

Sun_Worshiper

Thanks for starting a new thread! These help me to get organized and it feels good to cross things off the list.

Goals for this month:

• Finish draft of paper #1
  • Make progress on draft of paper #2
  • Continue collecting data for project corresponding to paper #1
  • Collecting more data for paper #2, to clean up some holes in the dataset
  • Keep shopping around op ed based on my research, and hopefully find a home for it

Stretch goals:
  • Get ball rolling on at least one new project (a few ideas, but they are just ideas at this point)

And of course I'll have to deal with papers that are currently under review, if they come back as acceptances, R&Rs, or rejections.

Parasaurolophus

Okok:

February:

• Write blog post for Feb. 18.
  • Write 4+ new book sections.
  • Conference organization for April conference (ugh)
  • Conference organization for November conference (ugh)

Stretch:

• Start working on August Chapter.

Guess we'll see what else intrudes.

For today, I've got to finalize that REB report and start some reading for my blog post.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Yes, thanks!!

Still plodding through all-the-things-that-have-to-be-done-before-I-can-focus-further-on-my-REAL-work.

Some are even getting done.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nonsensical

I fell off the January thread but will try to keep up this month. Today, I edited a draft of a manuscript for a post-doc in my lab and sent back to her with comments.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 01, 2021, 12:00:50 PM

For today, I've got to finalize that REB report and start some reading for my blog post.

Done for the day!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Congrats, oh crested one...!!

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I suppose today I should start drafting that blog post, and continue reading for it.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 02, 2021, 08:10:50 AM
I suppose today I should start drafting that blog post, and continue reading for it.

Wrote 900 words but didn't get to my point, so I can see that this is going to have to be one of those 'write it all out and then prune it all away' situations. Shrug. Frankly, it's easier that way!
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Edited a section of a grant proposal today.

Faith786

Thank you @darkstarrynight for starting this thread!

February goals:
-List 5 to 10 research questions for 2021 project and email it to colleagues
-Read, revise and email myself manuscript #3 and get it down to <20-25 pages (article #1 was published in January)
-Write a page for item #5 book chapter due before Fall 2021
-Read/review/summarize 4 relevant papers to add to research library for 2021 project
-Read book recommended for 2021 project essay #1
-Summarize book for 2021 project essay #1
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics
-Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score
-Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics
-Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s)
-Email departmental director my bio, picture, and keywords to get an unpaid departmental affiliation and sign contract to supervise/mentor graduate student
-peer-review two new manuscripts relevant to research field(s)

Short-term/ongoing goals:
-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on during the second/third wave of COVID-19 so that research can continue
-submit abstract #3 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-submit abstract #4 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-In total, submit ~6 manuscripts/articles/chapter(s) in 2021 (hopefully 5 get accepted/published)
-continue to attend interviews for tenure-track jobs so that independent PI research can be started
-Continue drafting article #4 with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-Continue drafting item #5 book chapter due before Fall 2021
-apply for research funding
-Wait and watch for revise and resubmit request for article #2 in Feb (submitted in late 2020)
-Wait and watch for revise and resubmit request for article #3 in Feb (submitted in 2021)
-apply for a tenure-track job
-get an interview for a tenure-track job

Long-term goals:
-secure a tenure track job and start independent PI research
I need this grant approved...

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on February 03, 2021, 06:11:53 AM

February goals:
-List 5 to 10 research questions for 2021 project and email it to colleagues
-Read, revise and email myself manuscript #3 and get it down to <20-25 pages (article #1 was published in January)
-Write a page for item #5 book chapter due before Fall 2021
-Read/review/summarize 4 relevant papers to add to research library for 2021 project
-Read book recommended for 2021 project essay #1
-Summarize book for 2021 project essay #1
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics
-Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score
-Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics
-Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s)
-Email departmental director my bio, picture, and keywords to get an unpaid departmental affiliation and sign contract to supervise/mentor graduate student
-peer-review two new manuscripts relevant to research field(s)

Short-term/ongoing goals:
-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on during the second/third wave of COVID-19 so that research can continue
-submit abstract #3 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-submit abstract #4 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-In total, submit ~6 manuscripts/articles/chapter(s) in 2021 (hopefully 5 get accepted/published)
-continue to attend interviews for tenure-track jobs so that independent PI research can be started
-Continue drafting article #4 with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-Continue drafting item #5 book chapter due before Fall 2021
-apply for research funding
-Wait and watch for revise and resubmit request for article #2 in Feb (submitted in late 2020)
-Wait and watch for revise and resubmit request for article #3 in Feb (submitted in 2021)
-apply for a tenure-track job
-get an interview for a tenure-track job

Long-term goals:
-secure a tenure track job and start independent PI research
I need this grant approved...

Parasaurolophus

I'll try to finish knocking out a draft of the blog post today.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Today, I did a run-through of an upcoming conference talk and looked through a set of reviews that a student and I recently received on a paper. This is a paper that was rejected after a revision at a different place, so I'm keeping my hopes low, but a revise-and-resubmit at this new journal is better than an outright rejection!

darkstarrynight

Yesterday, I added someone to the new project with my college friend. Hu left a toxic work environment last Fall and is adjuncting at hu's doctoral alma mater. Hu has very strong skills and familiarity with the topic, and my collaborator was fine with adding hu to the team!

Tonight I am meeting with my co-authors to finalize "second half of rejected manuscript from summer" and hopefully we will get that submitted ASAP!

My co-authors on the other rejected piece are started to work on some revisions. Since I am third author, I will wait until they tell me what I can do.

On the project with my subfield colleague, I got half of our interviews roughly transcribed with the snazzy Microsoft 365 transcription feature, and hu's GA is cleaning up the transcripts. Because I maxed out my allotted audio transcription for the month on the first day of the month, I am waiting for my spouse to let me use hu's work 365 account to do the other half of the rough transcribing some time after hu's work hours. Unfortunately, I tend to be busy most nights with work or research meetings or class, so I have not figured out when to do that yet! It will end up being over the weekend during the day, probably.