News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Will media become slightly less progressive?

Started by marshwiggle, November 11, 2020, 08:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

For the last four years, the media have been extremely sympathetic to any remotely "progressive" cause. For example, even the riots after George Floyd tended to not get a lot of criticism, or were suggested to have really been caused by right-wing agitators.

Much of that has been driven by support for anything anti-Trump. However, now that Biden is president, any events of that sort can't automatically be cast in opposition to the administration.

So, does anyone forsee a shift in media responses to certain things in the future, without the orange man to blame everything on?
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

This is not consistent with my impression of media coverage in my lifetime. Although there's certainly increased tolerance and sympathy for some things--in particular, LGBTQ+ people and issues--my impression has been that the main media outlets have gotten much more conservative overall, especially in terms of their editorial commentary. Even publications which I used to associate with the left seem to have shifted right. (It is possible, of course, that it's me who's shifted further left, but I think my barometer is pretty accurate.)

When I look at media coverage of specific issues--the student protests in Québec, for example, or the Wet'suwet'en protests, the coup in Bolivia, the coverage of the movement for Black lives and the protests over George Floyd's murder--it's generally quite sympathetic to those in power, and carries water for authority. I've seen incredibly little coverage of these sample issues in the MSM that's been sympathetic to the protesters or which correctly assessed what happened in Bolivia (on that note, even the NYT is still pretending it wasn't a coup). It looks to me like there's a significant rightward slant out there, even if there's been some mild progress leftward on some issues. It's also worth noting how often these media outlets endorse conservatives or right-leaning centrists when elections roll around.

(And, since you're Canadian: I can't help but to laugh derisively at the constant Conservative claims that the CBC is a leftist propaganda outlet. After decades of Conservative (mis)management, the CBC is a hard centre/centre-rightish organization. Frankly, I'm amazed they manage to be as even-handed as they are. I love the CBC, but it's no Jacobin, Current Affairs, or Le Devoir.)
I know it's a genus.

Anselm

I really can't say for sure and I am not a political news junkie but I am getting vibes from conservative media that FOX News is slouching towards Gomorrah and that conservatives need to find a new TV channel.   They are also looking to migrate away from Facebook and Twitter due to censorship concerns. 
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

secundem_artem

The media will do whatever is necessary to sell as many eyeballs to their advertisers as possible.  They're unlikely to care whether that is being a platform for BLM or showing live executions.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

spork

Quote from: secundem_artem on November 11, 2020, 02:38:16 PM
The media will do whatever is necessary to sell as many eyeballs to their advertisers as possible.  They're unlikely to care whether that is being a platform for BLM or showing live executions.

Yes. The media gave Trump over a billion dollars in free coverage during his first presidential campaign because it was great for ratings. Played right into his narcissism and promoted his message far and wide. And the media is still doing it.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mahagonny

Late night talk television, Saturday Night Live, et al, are a big influence too. Every time a political figures is gone, some comedian or impersonator's career tanks. I can't picture Biden being as popular as Alec Baldwin's Trump. (Anyone remember Vaughan Meader? In those days an impersonation meant you liked someone.) Steven Colbert? I expect seven out of eight of them all to stay left.

QuoteGeorge Floyd's murder-

No conviction as yet.

If you look at realclearpolitics.com every morning the opinion pieces are about 50/50 left/right. Very polarized, opposing headlines.