News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Managed Decline

Started by Juvenal, August 09, 2022, 12:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juvenal

I looked back four pages or so and did not find a "Subject" that seemed relevant to this.

Some of the Fora are surely (if still above ground) getting on.  And on and on.

Every day a new twinge, a new pang, a new ache.  So.

Lately it's kneesies.  At the ortho today (s)he said my age was just about the average for new knees.  Mine hurt, but (s)he opted to try cortisone injections.  Will they do any good?  (S)he said, "Wait a month, and if no relief, get back to me."

Any other "knee folk" out there with X-rays saying "moderate to severe arthritis," and if so, what did you/will you do/be doing?

I found "managed decline" somewhere lately, and it struck me as what is the case for the aging.  Or, "case by case."  At least I can still keyboard.

Was it John Updike who said any health after seventy was a gift?  Too bad I can't return what I've got for credit.

Cranky septuagenarian

lightning

I'm with ya.

I think that after about the age of 25, life is just "managed decline."

It's a better way of saying "march towards inevitable death."

That perspective has taught me to "manage" having a life, on the journey of decline.

downer

Hard to deny that eventually we all return to dust. But it isn't gradual decline. Some people remain fit and active until something kills them. I find that sometimes I think I'm no longer able to do what I formerly did but I bounce back. It's an irregular journey.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Harlow2

From some things you have mentioned in other posts I suspect we are in a similar age range. Eleven (and a half) years ago I had a hip replacement. Had been a hiker most of my life but by the time of the surgery I could walk only about 20 feet. Physical therapy bought me 2 years, and the surgery has allowed me to get back on the trail and backpack.  I found my physical therapist immensely helpful, and they have taken good care of me with a few issues that arose in the intervening years.  It is also the case for me that the strengthening I did prior to surgery not only bought me some time but also helped me regain the use of my joints quickly. Best wishes with whatever you decide.

poiuy

I may be a few years younger than some who have posted here, but this topic really resonates with me.

For the past few years my siblings and I observed the managed decline and long drawn out demise of our father (dementia + lots of other things). My mother is now facing her own final years in increasingly poor health, it's a constant juggling act with her various conditions and needs.

We also are aging up and starting to crumble and various bits and parts have worn out - knees, eyes, shoulders, etc. Exercise more to prevent various other health conditions and promote well being?  The joints give a lot of trouble! Exercise less? Can immediately see the negative impact on muscle mass/strength, blood and BP numbers, mobility, and mental well being.

Our own juggling act is beginning. 

Looking forward to wisdom nd experience from others ....

AmLitHist

Spouse saw The Hip and Knee Doc (as the surgeon refers to himself) this week. Since the cortisone in the knees is lasting only about 6-8 weeks, it's time to replace the right knee this fall. . . . a couple of years sooner than we'd been hoping. We asked to have both done at once, but cardio and other issues make that a no-go.

Wisdom of the elders (a/k/a "Mama Said"):

1.  After 45, it's just patch, patch, patch, and
2.  Gettin' old ain't for wimps.

Juvenal

Quote from: AmLitHist on August 12, 2022, 10:12:40 AM
Spouse saw The Hip and Knee Doc (as the surgeon refers to himself) this week. Since the cortisone in the knees is lasting only about 6-8 weeks, it's time to replace the right knee this fall. . . . a couple of years sooner than we'd been hoping. We asked to have both done at once, but cardio and other issues make that a no-go.

Wisdom of the elders (a/k/a "Mama Said"):

1.  After 45, it's just patch, patch, patch, and
2.  Gettin' old ain't for wimps.

I'd have said 70, but that's just one set of my data points.  Things were m.o.l. OK up until then, but soma said, "Time to get on the slide."  Whoops!
Cranky septuagenarian