News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Transitioning a class to online midsemester

Started by downer, March 10, 2020, 09:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I just got word from On High that my summer courses (May-June) are all going to be online too.

On the one hand, that suits me fine, and will allow me to have more of a summer, since I won't have to go in four days a week (and it's a fairly long commute). On the other hand, it's gonna be hard to fight the urge to do a decent job from the get-go instead of half-assing it as I have been.

I just have to keep reminding myself that starting in May only gives me a week between the end of this semester and the start of the next to prep stuff, and that's not nearly enough time to do a good job of being online.
I know it's a genus.

Anselm

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 27, 2020, 02:35:24 PM
I just got word from On High that my summer courses (May-June) are all going to be online too.

On the one hand, that suits me fine, and will allow me to have more of a summer, since I won't have to go in four days a week (and it's a fairly long commute). On the other hand, it's gonna be hard to fight the urge to do a decent job from the get-go instead of half-assing it as I have been.

I just have to keep reminding myself that starting in May only gives me a week between the end of this semester and the start of the next to prep stuff, and that's not nearly enough time to do a good job of being online.

Right now this is my biggest concern.    We have online classes but we are not an online school.  I wish that those from Up On High would do the right thing and throw in the towel for the summer classes.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Anselm on March 29, 2020, 10:10:31 AM

Right now this is my biggest concern.    We have online classes but we are not an online school.  I wish that those from Up On High would do the right thing and throw in the towel for the summer classes.

Do your students need those on-line classes?  Do you faculty rely on summer money?

We will definitely not starve, but my wife and I were counting on a little extra income from summer teaching for some various .  For some people summer income is a must. 

Obviously your campus knows what it needs---just wondering.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

OneMoreYear

I could have written almost the exact same post today. I just got word from TPIC that we are going online for the summer, at least for any course that begins in May. I am thankful that I now don't need to make the long commute 5 days per week, but I also need to start thinking about prepping now. I teach two intensive courses (6 hours per week for six weeks each course), and am really going to have the think about the best model for that online, particularly since one course involves a lot of in person role-plays/practice (health professions intervention course).  I think I'm going to have to do some research on best practices for this type of course online.