News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Has anyone tried Gradify as a grader?

Started by AstroGuy, October 25, 2019, 06:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AstroGuy

Hi everyone, I got an unsolicited email from this "grading marketplace" company called Gradify which offers to put professors/teachers in need of graders, with grad students/adjuncts who want a little extra cash. I guess the pitch to investors was something like, "It's Uber for grading!"

Anyways, I can't find much about it on the web (not even the Gradify website can be found on google... you have to type in the url from the email, I suppose). Before I sign up to learn more, has anyone used it? How much do they charge, and how much do they pay?

(I hate grading, so if I could outsource it, that would certainly be tempting!)

Parasaurolophus

Tempting, but totally forbidden here by our FERPA equivalent.
I know it's a genus.

polly_mer

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 25, 2019, 08:50:38 PM
Tempting, but totally forbidden here by our FERPA equivalent.

That was my thought: FERPA will be a problem for an external grader.

Depending on field, the auto grading provided by most LMS systems or as part of a problem bank from the publishers is good enough for feedback on basic practice for the math-based problem sets I used to give. 

For essay-type grading, push back on your institution if your classes are too big to get the appropriate feedback in a timely manner, even with the checkbox-rubric-including-common-errors-with-three-personalized-comments-LarryC method of grading.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!