Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on February 21, 2021, 01:45:54 PM
Quote from: spork on February 21, 2021, 12:24:17 PM
Quote from: Langue_doc on February 20, 2021, 11:35:05 AM

[. . .]

The headbanging is for the quality of the submissions and the students' unfamiliarity with the detailed directions for the assignments. Read the directions, Stus, don't just scroll through them without stopping to make sure you know what is expected of you.

When grading in Canvas, I've been frequently pasting the pre-written comment of "See the rubric and assignment directions." No other comment.

This is a good idea. I try to personalize comments, but it is so time-consuming.

I'm told that I must provide detailed, personal feedback to each student's assignment. But that means I'm essentially just quoting the assignment instructions. So frustrating to have to spend so much time on it.

AvidReader

Maybe you do this already, Charlotte, but I create a new document for each assignment or type of assignment and copy and paste my feedback into it, adding new responses as needed. For major work, I try to give every student 3 pieces of feedback. My school also likes personalized feedback, so a response might say: "Stu, this essay has many sentence fragments, such as the sentence that says [QUOTATION]. This is a fragment because it does not have a verb. In future, make sure every sentence has a subject and a verb. If you would like to review this, there are some practice questions on pages 508-515 in the textbook."

Then when I find another essay with major sentence fragments, I copy this example, paste the new student's example into it, and maybe add or update the "how to fix" sentence. For assignment directions, you can have a sentence for each assignment direction that is commonly skipped, paste an example from the student's work, and add a sentence (reproduce for each student) suggesting that they read the directions more carefully on the next assignment.

AR.

the_geneticist

We are past halfway done with Winter quarter.  The "What is my grade?/Can I pass?" emails are starting to come in. 
Some are from students where it is not mathematically possible for them to earn a passing grade. 
Some are from students who can earn a passing grade, but they will have to do a bit better on the final than the first exams.
And one was from a panicking student* who is earning a B+ and was wondering if they were failing.  They were all ready to fill out the paperwork to drop, but thankfully their advisor said to check their current grade first.

Students, learn to calculate a weighted average!  A low score on one quiz that is worth 5% of your grade does not equal automatic failure!  You could fail two or three of them and still pass the class.  However, failing all of the midterm exams does make it rather likely you will fail the class.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Charlotte on February 21, 2021, 02:29:21 PM

[. . .]

The headbanging is for the quality of the submissions and the students' unfamiliarity with the detailed directions for the assignments. Read the directions, Stus, don't just scroll through them without stopping to make sure you know what is expected of you.

When grading in Canvas, I've been frequently pasting the pre-written comment of "See the rubric and assignment directions." No other comment.

This is a good idea. I try to personalize comments, but it is so time-consuming.

I'm told that I must provide detailed, personal feedback to each student's assignment. But that means I'm essentially just quoting the assignment instructions. So frustrating to have to spend so much time on it.

I usually provide detailed comments for writing-intensive assignments. This semester though I have several students in this course who cannot even put together a sentence, don't know the difference between nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc, and are unfamiliar with what one would consider basic vocabulary, and who think that reading the directions or even the examples included in the directions are unimportant.

We are also expected to provide detailed feedback. I don't mind writing the comments as students usually read them and try to incorporate the feedback in subsequent assignments. This semester though, there must be something in the air or the water because I've never encountered such a large number of unprepared students in a single class.

secundem_artem

Quote from: Langue_doc on February 22, 2021, 12:09:39 PM
Quote from: Charlotte on February 21, 2021, 02:29:21 PM

[. . .]

I usually provide detailed comments for writing-intensive assignments. This semester though I have several students in this course who cannot even put together a sentence, don't know the difference between nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc, and are unfamiliar with what one would consider basic vocabulary, and who think that reading the directions or even the examples included in the directions are unimportant.

We are also expected to provide detailed feedback. I don't mind writing the comments as students usually read them and try to incorporate the feedback in subsequent assignments. This semester though, there must be something in the air or the water because I've never encountered such a large number of unprepared students in a single class.

Many years ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I started teaching, the feedback I gave one particularly egregious assignment was as follows:  "You should sue your high school English department for malpractice."

I've gotten better at providing feedback and I find I can type comments into online assignments in Blackboard faster than I can write them on hard copy assignments.  But some work is so fracked up that all the comments in the world won't help.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

apl68

Quote from: secundem_artem on February 22, 2021, 01:01:00 PM

Many years ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I started teaching, the feedback I gave one particularly egregious assignment was as follows:  "You should sue your high school English department for malpractice."

Ouch!  But I know what you mean.  There was a time or two when I was TAing in history when I felt like telling students to do that to our institution's own English department.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

onehappyunicorn

Quote from: apl68 on February 22, 2021, 01:41:57 PM

Ouch!  But I know what you mean.  There was a time or two when I was TAing in history when I felt like telling students to do that to our institution's own English department.

I recently told two students that their first project was not college level work. Sometimes if a student completely blows it there just isn't a nice way to let them know. Heck, I would feel worse if someone didn't let them know. I usually only resort to that when I see a lack of effort coupled with the lack of skill.

Biologist_

Quote from: the_geneticist on February 22, 2021, 10:20:34 AM
We are past halfway done with Winter quarter.  The "What is my grade?/Can I pass?" emails are starting to come in. 
Some are from students where it is not mathematically possible for them to earn a passing grade. 
Some are from students who can earn a passing grade, but they will have to do a bit better on the final than the first exams.
And one was from a panicking student* who is earning a B+ and was wondering if they were failing.  They were all ready to fill out the paperwork to drop, but thankfully their advisor said to check their current grade first.

Students, learn to calculate a weighted average!  A low score on one quiz that is worth 5% of your grade does not equal automatic failure!  You could fail two or three of them and still pass the class.  However, failing all of the midterm exams does make it rather likely you will fail the class.

I usually add a grade item for "overall course grade so far" or something like that. Then I update it each time I upload grades for other items. I always hope that it will help to keep students from fixating on their low exam grades and realize how much the higher grades from homework and lab assignments help their average. It can be hard to get a good estimate when two thirds of the grades in one category have come in and only a third of the grades in another category have come in and the grades tend to be much higher one category than the other.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Biologist_ on February 22, 2021, 09:06:46 PM

I usually add a grade item for "overall course grade so far" or something like that. Then I update it each time I upload grades for other items. I always hope that it will help to keep students from fixating on their low exam grades and realize how much the higher grades from homework and lab assignments help their average. It can be hard to get a good estimate when two thirds of the grades in one category have come in and only a third of the grades in another category have come in and the grades tend to be much higher one category than the other.

These students had to pass college algebra to take this class.  They should be able to calculate a weighted average without hand holding.
Panicky student probably thinks that a B is "failing" based on her behavior at office hours. 

Puget

Quote from: the_geneticist on February 23, 2021, 08:31:32 AM
Quote from: Biologist_ on February 22, 2021, 09:06:46 PM

These students had to pass college algebra to take this class.  They should be able to calculate a weighted average without hand holding.
Panicky student probably thinks that a B is "failing" based on her behavior at office hours.

I've had dozens of these students. A B+ is "failing" and now they will never get into med school and will end up living under a bridge. I estimate I succeed about 1/3 of the time in calming them down. I make a lot of referrals to the counseling center.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Langue_doc

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on February 22, 2021, 02:10:33 PM
Quote from: apl68 on February 22, 2021, 01:41:57 PM

I recently told two students that their first project was not college level work. Sometimes if a student completely blows it there just isn't a nice way to let them know. Heck, I would feel worse if someone didn't let them know. I usually only resort to that when I see a lack of effort coupled with the lack of skill.

I sent a polite version of this to a student today, with suggestions on what to do to about the lack of skills. Effort was evident, but misplaced.

evil_physics_witchcraft

A student who asked me about integrals upthread left me a cute note in stu's hw.

"Pls teach me how to do these. Email me!!!"

I have already had contact with the student and asked to get more info and got a response, but about something unrelated.

WWTFD?

Edit: I forgot to mention that the first sentence was underlined heavily (at least 3 times).

evil_physics_witchcraft

Double post.

The same student who cannot do integrals just sent me a lengthy email telling me that I do not provide resources for the course, except for one "lecture slide with really complex integration." So, apparently, I have just one lecture slide up for this section.

I was also told that I should have weekly meetings. I cannot do this since the course is asynchronous and our department basically forbid us from doing anything else.

Stu admits that stu doesn't read the slides, on some weeks, and just goes to Utube. Hmm.

Stu also knows that the entire class is in the same boat. Hmm.

I'm pretty pissed at this student. Why? Stu's been putting the blame on me this entire semester. Stu turns in EIGHT files when the limit was two for an assignment (but I accepted them with a warning). Stu wants me to email stu, reach out to stu and I guess hold stu's hand through the course. I have emailed stu, but stu doesn't email me back in a timely manner or answer the questions I've asked.

This kid doesn't help with my stress levels and when I thought I wouldn't need surgery, now I may have to have it. I guess that's what I'll do over Spring Break if I can schedule it.

Any advice on how to deal with this stu would be appreciated. Currently, I plan to email stu back tomorrow, during working hours since stu emailed me at 10:45pm, and make a list answering each question.

Langue_doc

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on February 23, 2021, 08:34:13 PM
Double post.

The same student who cannot do integrals just sent me a lengthy email telling me that I do not provide resources for the course, except for one "lecture slide with really complex integration." So, apparently, I have just one lecture slide up for this section.

I was also told that I should have weekly meetings. I cannot do this since the course is asynchronous and our department basically forbid us from doing anything else.

Stu admits that stu doesn't read the slides, on some weeks, and just goes to Utube. Hmm.

Stu also knows that the entire class is in the same boat. Hmm.

I'm pretty pissed at this student. Why? Stu's been putting the blame on me this entire semester. Stu turns in EIGHT files when the limit was two for an assignment (but I accepted them with a warning). Stu wants me to email stu, reach out to stu and I guess hold stu's hand through the course. I have emailed stu, but stu doesn't email me back in a timely manner or answer the questions I've asked.

This kid doesn't help with my stress levels and when I thought I wouldn't need surgery, now I may have to have it. I guess that's what I'll do over Spring Break if I can schedule it.

Any advice on how to deal with this stu would be appreciated. Currently, I plan to email stu back tomorrow, during working hours since stu emailed me at 10:45pm, and make a list answering each question.

I would send a terse email reminding Stu that Stu is required to read the slides and all course-related materials. Perhaps suggest a workbook so that Stu can catch up on the proficiency levels for your course? Stu absolutely needs to respond to your questions. In your email tomorrow I would remind Stu that you are waiting for Stu's responses and that the class is not taught through emails (I once had to send a similar email). I would also submit a midsemester appraisal right away; otherwise, email Stu with a list of things Stu should be doing in your course. Under no circumstances would I respond to multiple emails from a single student; even daily emails to a student would be way beyond your pay grade. Could you bump this up to your chair? Perhaps copy your chair on the email to the student so that your chair is aware of the amount of handholding the student expects from you? You might have to write that you are responding to Stu's X number of emails and that Stu hasn't responded to your questions; in any case some higher up needs to know that Stu is bombarding you with emails instead of reading the slides and making an effort to work on the course materials.

Good luck with this student. Remind yourself that you are paid to teach courses, and not to tutor individual students through emails in addition to teaching your courses. Stu can meet with you for a 20 or 30-minute slot once a week.

mythbuster

Since it's a math issue- do you have a math tutoring center on campus that you can send them too?
   I agree about refusing to teach via email. Remind Stu of when your office hours are and how to make an appointment if those don't work. This is passive-aggressive blaming of you for their problems.
  I would also make sure my chair is in the loop at this point. This is exactly the type of student who likes to jump up the chain. Last semester I had one who initiated a phone calling campaign to my chair by several of their friends. He was NOT amused and threatened them with disciplinary action based on how pushy/bullying they were in their phone calls!