Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

I've forgotten, does Chegg pay them?

(If not, what in the world would the motivation be, to do this kind of thing?)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

Quote from: mamselle on April 26, 2021, 04:47:22 PM
I've forgotten, does Chegg pay them?

(If not, what in the world would the motivation be, to do this kind of thing?)

M.

Students have to pay to have a Chegg account.  They see it as a "study help" site.
I see it as a copywriter violation and cheating site.

Why?  To get answers for free.  Some students claim they just wanted to "double check" or "see if there is a better way to say it".

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: the_geneticist on April 26, 2021, 03:53:36 PM
I caught yet another student posting questions from the exam of Chegg DURING their exam.  Even with cheating, they barely passed the exam.  Now, they are going to fail the course.

I had this issue too, back when the pandemic started and we were not allowed to require webcams and proctoring (don't ask). It's frustrating to say the least and generates mounds of paperwork and lost time. Sorry you're dealing with it.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Two more students emailed me their work instead of following the directions and putting it in the quiz. So, these students have created more work for me. I swear, I'm just going to make a multiple choice final and be done with it.

Parasaurolophus

We should get a forum Chegg account so we can all check without paying them individually.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 26, 2021, 07:59:31 PM
Two more students emailed me their work instead of following the directions and putting it in the quiz. So, these students have created more work for me. I swear, I'm just going to make a multiple choice final and be done with it.

I have a student who has gone to the Dean b/c I will NOT accept their work via email (and with the wrong name and the wrong format).  They are stubbornly refusing to use the CMS to submit the work.  I cannot wrap my head around this.  They have now tried 5 times.

Each time, they get back "Please submit on Blackboard using the link HERE (under assignments tab) .  Use the submission guidelines in the syllabus (HERE).  Emailed assignments are NOT accepted".

Could it be that they don't want their work run through a plagiarism checker?

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Langue_doc

Quote from: FishProf on April 27, 2021, 03:58:08 AM

I have a student who has gone to the Dean b/c I will NOT accept their work via email (and with the wrong name and the wrong format).  They are stubbornly refusing to use the CMS to submit the work.  I cannot wrap my head around this.  They have now tried 5 times.

Each time, they get back "Please submit on Blackboard using the link HERE (under assignments tab) .  Use the submission guidelines in the syllabus (HERE).  Emailed assignments are NOT accepted".

Some professors accept emailed assignments, so the students think that you're the exception to the norm and a meanie if you ask them to follow the course guidelines. I once had a student who would refuse to bring the printout of her assignments for peer review claiming that she had the assignment on her laptop and that other professors allowed her to bring her laptop. I had to remind her that her assignment could be peer-reviewed only if the reviewer had a physical copy.

evil_physics_witchcraft

So annoying. In my case, this is a test and there is simple Math involved. I don't know what they do in the time between submitting the quiz and emailing me their work.

OneMoreYear

I'm banging my head due to my own decision making. In one of my "hard" courses, students were decidedly not pleased that we were teaching it online this Spring and the anxiety and downright hostility was palpable. So, we made some adjustments prior to the semester and built in opportunities to improve performance if initial assignments were not passing, increased the weight of smaller assignments & reduced the weight of exams, and, against my better judgement, created opportunities for "extra" points. Students still complained up the chain about how "unreasonable" we were being. Now, as we are nearing the end, it appears we have overcorrected, and students who really should not pass are going to pass the course based on their point total. So, we are going to send them off to the next stage, when we really should not. The only positive is that we won't have the amount of grade appeals we were predicting.

Morden

QuoteI once had a student who would refuse to bring the printout of her assignments for peer review claiming that she had the assignment on her laptop and that other professors allowed her to bring her laptop. I had to remind her that her assignment could be peer-reviewed only if the reviewer had a physical copy.

Pre-Covid/in person: When my students brought the assignment on their devices for peer review, they had to pass their device around and have a variety of people use it. Some really didn't care; others brought paper versions the next time.

mythbuster

OneMoreYear, I had a similar overcorrection in one of my courses. I had anticipated widespread issues with attending the Zoom sessions that just never happened. I had built in so many "slush points" for my in class activities that almost everyone ended up with 100% in that category
   Now I find it telling that none of my students had done the math to figure out when they could STOP doing the assignments since they had already accumulated the 100 points. So I should stop worrying so much about students "gaming the system" in that regard.

My advice, just let it go. This entire year is not one to hold up as a model of anything other than muddling through.

dr_codex

Quote from: mythbuster on April 27, 2021, 09:01:09 AM
OneMoreYear, I had a similar overcorrection in one of my courses. I had anticipated widespread issues with attending the Zoom sessions that just never happened. I had built in so many "slush points" for my in class activities that almost everyone ended up with 100% in that category
   Now I find it telling that none of my students had done the math to figure out when they could STOP doing the assignments since they had already accumulated the 100 points. So I should stop worrying so much about students "gaming the system" in that regard.

My advice, just let it go. This entire year is not one to hold up as a model of anything other than muddling through.

I did something similar. Too many bailouts, and a lot of people getting higher grades than usual. However, also a lot of straight F, around the number that I would get for fully online courses.
back to the books.

fishbrains

Yes. This is how I caught my last cheater. They were quite surprised I was able to upload their emailed essay into Turnitin from my computer and get the same report (85% copied in this case).
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

FishProf

Quote from: Langue_doc on April 27, 2021, 05:59:48 AM
Some professors accept emailed assignments, so the students think that you're the exception to the norm and a meanie if you ask them to follow the course guidelines.
I am a meanie in that regard.  But this is a departmental policy (although not universally applied).

Quote from: Langue_doc on April 27, 2021, 05:59:48 AM
I once had a student who would refuse to bring the printout of her assignments for peer review claiming that she had the assignment on her laptop and that other professors allowed her to bring her laptop.

Snowflakery, at its finest.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Parasaurolophus

Not despair, just puzzlememt:

I just marked an essay in which a student cited me a few times. Sure, fine. Except that I've never written anything on the subject, certainly not with that title, and not in that German journal. I do have one publication in that journal, but it's on a completely different topic (e.g. it's on Moctezuma's baskets, whereas the course--and the cited title--pertains to haute couture). Nor do I recall saying any of the things attributed to me.

Weirdly, all of the other citations appear to be perfectly appropriate and legitimate. So what's with this made-up one? *scratches head*
I know it's a genus.